Ergo front w/XT fdr

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Belij3, Feb 21, 2003.

  1. Belij3

    Belij3 Guest

    Will an Ergo front shifter work well to shift a XT fdr? And also, will the XT fdr shift a 48 -
    34 double? B

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    >Will an Ergo front shifter work well to shift a XT fdr? And also, will the XT fdr shift a 48 -
    >34 double?

    I don't know if an XT derailleur will work but I know a Campy double derailleur will work.

    I just installed a 48/34 double with Ergo shifters. The Chorus 9 derailleur shifted from the
    34-48 with ramps aOK and like shifting from a 39 to 53. I had tried a 46 first and the Campy
    front derailleur did the job but it was a 'b' fit and it took a while to lift the chain onto the
    big ring. Many riders would find it acceptable. To my eye, the 10 sp front derailleur seems to
    follow the curve of a 53t ring closer than the 9sp does. It may shift the 46 and 48 but I haven't
    gotten to that.

    I think if I remove some of the metal on the bottom of the nose of the front plate on the derailleur
    so I can lower it and get it closer to the curve of the ring, it will shift both the 46 and 48 w/o
    problem. My wife the dentist, said show me the way a good one looks over the rings and give me the
    dremel tool with grinding wheel. She claims she can get it near exact. The cost is that she wants a
    46x34 too.

    I have an LX571 4B-D x 32 clamp that is for those rings that I couldn't use on my frame. You can buy
    it for $15.

    On 22 Feb 2003 01:40:46 GMT, [email protected] (Belij3) wrote:

  3. Belij3 wrote:
    > Will an Ergo front shifter work well to shift a XT fdr?

    Yes, Ergos work with _all_ front derailers.

    > And also, will the XT fdr shift a 48 - 34 double?

    Yes, but the upshift won't be as crisp as it would be with a front derailer made for a 48
    tooth big ring.

    If you already have the XT, use it. If not, consider one of the older-model XTRs we have on
    special--those _are_ designed for a 48.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front

    | Wink at small faults; remember thou hast great ones. | -- Benjamin Franklin |

  4. belij-<< Will an Ergo front shifter work well to shift a XT fdr?

    yes, have done it-

    << And also, will the XT fdr shift a 48 - 34 double?

    yes again...Campagnolo ERGO is wonderful is this regard.