Ergo lever spring carrier problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bdm, Feb 23, 2004.

1. bdm

bdm New Member

Twice in its 3 year life my right hand ergo lever (Veloce 2001 9sp) has developed a fault. The symptom is that, although it continues to change thro all 9 sprockets ok, the ratchet/clicking mechanism suddenly feels softer than usual - so that it is much easier to unintentionally overshoot and make a double change rather than a single. This is mainly noticed on changing to a higher gear (ie a smaller sprocket) with the thumb lever. On dismantling the lever I have found the cause of this fault both times has been that the index spring carrier (EC-RE111) has cracked - each time in an identical way. It's not the post that has broken, but the ring itself, just to the left of the post (looking at the ring with the post sticking up).
    On the web I have found comments about the springs themselves wearing out (that is not my case) or the post on the index spring carrier breaking off on earlier models that lacked supporting bits for the post (not my case either). I have found no ref to the ring fracturing; campag also tell me it is an "uncommon fault".
    Anyone else had this problem - or can suggest a cause?
    (My typical use is commuting in traffic - so lots of gear changes.)

Tags:

2. bdm-<< On dismantling the lever I have found the cause of this fault both times has been that the
    index spring carrier (EC-RE111) has cracked - each time in an identical way. It's not the post that
    has broken, but the ring itself, just to the left of the post >><BR><BR>

Not uncommon at all. We see many that have been modified with the little shoulders around the post
    that they split instead. One thing we do is remove or at least make the 'notch' flatter of the part
    EC-RE-057, the little metal cover right above the EC-RE-111. It moves left/right with shifting and
    gouges the base of the post, which may cause ot to split where it does. Best thing to do is remove
    it as it does nuthin.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

3. bdm

bdm New Member

Thanks for the comment, Peter. I've re-examined the broken ones and they do show slight notching - although they are more notched on the non-broken side of the post than on the broken side. I wonder if a reason for me having 2 break and some other levers never breaking is that the diameter of the lever body recess in which the spring carrier rotates is rather variable, and that if this diameter (say in my case) is on the large end of its tolerance then the springs may be putting extra stress and strain on the ring of the carrier without it being supported so much by the lever body... Anyway, it still seems funny that campag aren't keen to acknowledge a weakness and start making the part out of a more durable material. They must know they are selling a good number of replacements. It wouldn't add much weight to make it out of steel rather than the light cast alloy they've used.
    Bernard

4. bdm-<< Anyway, it still seems funny that campag aren't keen to acknowledge a weakness and start
    making the part out of a more durable material. They must know they are selling a good number of
    replacements. It wouldn't add much weight to make it out of steel rather than the light cast alloy
    they've used. >><BR><BR>

Agree, we saw our first one in 1998, and have suggested that it be steel rather than aluminum. Kinda
    like steel chainring bolts rather than aluminum. Lighter but the steel ones are pretty light to
    startwith.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"