Ergo shifting

Paul Westall

Guest
I haven't had the opportunity to see Ergo shifters "in person", but from pics I assume that the
inner lever shifts one way and the button on the inside of the bracket shifts the other way. Can
you shift from the drops with this setup? Probably getting Campy on my new bike, due to (many
opinions, anyhow) greater durability and the mix and match capability. It does seem that having to
move your hand from the drop to the hood to shift would be a bit inconvenient. Can anyone explain
this for me? TIA, Paul

The lever behind the brake shifts to a larger size gearand the button on the lever body down shifts.
I like it much better the STI. You can reach them from the drops. I think it looks cleaner with the
cables under the tape and I also like not using the brake lever only for braking. "Paul Westall"

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:09:00 +0000, Paul Westall wrote:

> I haven't had the opportunity to see Ergo shifters "in person", but from pics I assume that the
> inner lever shifts one way and the button on the inside of the bracket shifts the other way.

Correct

> Can you shift from the drops with this setup?

Yes. Easily.

> Probably getting Campy on my new bike, due to (many opinions, anyhow) greater durability and the
>mix and match capability. It does seem that having to move your hand from the drop to the hood to
>shift would be a bit inconvenient. Can anyone explain this for me?

The under-the-lever shifter works much like the similar one on STI. the thumb lever is easy to reach
from the drops; just stick your thumb out and it's there. This assumes your hands are well into the
bend, not way down on the bottoms, but that's where I keep my hands, anyway.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | We have a record of conquet, colonization and expansion _`\(,_ | unequalled by any people
in the Nineteenth Century. We are not (_)/ (_) | to be curbed now. --Henry Cabot Lodge, 1895

Paul Westall wrote:

> I haven't had the opportunity to see Ergo shifters "in person", but from

??? where do you live? ;-)

> pics I assume that the inner lever shifts one way and the button on the inside of the bracket
> shifts the other way. Can you shift from the drops with this setup? Probably getting Campy on my
> new bike, due to (many opinions, anyhow) greater durability and the mix and match capability. It
> does seem that having to move your hand from the drop to the hood to shift would be a bit
> inconvenient. Can anyone explain this for me? TIA, Paul

I had the same concern when I switched from S to C several years ago. But it worked out fine even
with my small hands. You can stay in the drops to shift to a smaller cog. It's the other way round.
When you are on the hoods and you want to push the button, you have to move your hands a little bit
backwards. That's a little inconvenient. But he, beauty has it's price... Go for it.

Lou

Paul-<< I haven't had the opportunity to see Ergo shifters "in person"-

Yikes, the local bike shops oughtta be ashamed.

<< but from pics I assume that the inner lever shifts one way and the button on the inside of the
bracket shifts the other way

Correct-

<< Can you shift from the drops with this setup?

yes

<< Probably getting Campy on my new bike, due to (many opinions, anyhow) greater durability and the
mix and match capability.

Good choice

Not only CAN you shift from the drops, you can do it better than with STI! Since the "big lever" is
completely independent of the brake lever, you need not fear engaging the brakes a bit (as I often
do on my STI's). Furthermore, that "big lever" is hinged, so you can move it closer to the bar when
you're shifting.