Ergo trainer users

Phil S

Sep 14, 2003
Can users of Computrainers or similar give me their opinions on training with the ergo function? How useful is it to set at say 320w for an hour and just ride away without having to keep glancing at a CPU and adjust your wattage?
I like the sound of this as well as the option of not having to constantly change tyres for a trainer session (I'm a Powertap user). I have been offered the cycleops powerbeam at a very attractive price so just want to get some opinions.

Phil S said:
Can users of Computrainers or similar give me their opinions on training with the ergo function? How useful is it to set at say 320w for an hour and just ride away without having to keep glancing at a CPU and adjust your wattage?
I like the sound of this as well as the option of not having to constantly change tyres for a trainer session (I'm a Powertap user). I have been offered the cycleops powerbeam at a very attractive price so just want to get some opinions.

To me Ergo mode is the what I like the most about the computrainer. I have just finished preparing my indoor training schedule for the next month and 4 out 5 sessions are Ergo. Sometimes 2x20, sometimes VO2max intervals, sometimes Ergvideo sessions... the only time I don`t use ergo mode is when doing a TT (3D courses) to try a gage my improvments. I litterally create my Ergo training sessions with Notepad (mostly modifying older ERG files that were given to me by my former coach).

As you probably figured out I use the Computrainer with a computer (not in standalone mode).

I typically use the CT in standalone ergometer mode and really like the way I can just bump the controller +/- buttons through warmup and then settle into a sustainable pace. It takes a bit of getting used to since constant power ergometers feel very different than actual road riding in the sense that the force/torque requirements drop as cadence increases for a given power. That of course makes sense on an ergometer, but it feels strange at first when efforts feel 'easier' when you increase rpm in the same gear.

Anyway, standalone ergometer mode is the primary way I use my CT and I really like it. I've programmed microinterval work and have done indoor TT racing on preset courses and even used the standard fixed resistance trainer mode (useful for sprints) but keep coming back to standalone ergometer mode. IMO, it's a very efficient way to train.

-Dave

Oh l wish l hadn't read this thread
The more l read about trainers and their set and forget interval mode the more l would like one, with another scourching summer on the way l think it would be a sound investment.
Is the CT the best bang for buck for indoor isopower efforts assuming l already have a pt on my racebike but don''t want to use it indoors?