Ergobrain 10 Computer

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bengibbs, Jan 9, 2004.

1. bengibbs

bengibbs New Member

Any of you guys have a Campag Ergobrain 10 computer? I was on their website and thought it sounded quite interesting. What are they like?

Tags:

2. Cipher

Cipher New Member

FWIW, I personally have no experience with them myself, but I was considering buying one and asked the head mechanic at a local LBS that sells 'em, and he said to shy away from them...

3. bengibbs

bengibbs New Member

Do you think that they could be too technical? Simplicity is what you want in a bike computer isn't it?

4. JJ99

JJ99 New Member

I just finished building up a road bike and included an Ergobrain 10. It is a little slicker than the Cateyes I've used previously, though obviously pricier too.

If you install the cadence sensor, it automatically determines which cassette you're using. There are buttons built into the ergolevers that control all the computer functions, which is pretty cool. The display shows you which ring and which cog position you're in, as well as the number of teeth for each, and the computer has a comprehensive set of training/interval timers with, e.g., audible alerts when you've completed an interval. The interface is a little complex, but once you figure it out (i.e. read the manual five times), it works pretty well. There's a backlight too, which is useful on the trainer.

5. bengibbs

bengibbs New Member

Take it you'd recommend it then? Would it work on a 9 speed centaur chain set?

6. JJ99

JJ99 New Member

The manual says it's "compatible with all 9/10 speed Ergopowers (from 1999 range)." If Centaur has Ergolevers, I think it will work. (There are sensors that go inside the Ergolevers to read the shifter position and the button inputs, so you'd need the Ergolevers to use it).

I'd recommend it, though I think it's a little expensive for what it is. I like technology, and this is pretty cool technology, so I'd buy it again.

7. Aztec

Aztec New Member

One HUGE flaw... no heart monitor. Who wants to have TWO pieces of tech on the bike?

8. JJ99

JJ99 New Member

What? Only TWO pieces of tech? That's like being stranded on a desert island with only one book . . . . How would you possibly choose? :)

9. msrw

msrw New Member

I've had Ergo Brain 9 and 10 computers on my racing bike and my tandem for the past couple of years. They're the best bike computers I've ever used.

The Ergo Brain is the ideal computer for anyone who uses a Campy drivetrain? Why? Because of the built in shifting sensor, and the gear ratios it provides. Those two features become invaluable. The brake handle control buttons are also a major improvement over control buttons on the computer.

The user interface is unduly complicated. Not to worry, because many of the more esoteric features that are complicated to find are not worth finding.

Build quality is exceptional.

You can use the Ergo Brain 10 with either 9 or 10 speed Ergo wiring harnesses. You cannot, by the way, use the Ergo Brain 9 with an Ergo 10 wiring harness.

I don't find it unnecessarily complicated to use a separate pulse monitor.

10. bengibbs

bengibbs New Member

What's the difference between the Ergo Brain 9 and the Ergo Brain 10? (might be a dumb question if what I think the answer is, is right)!!
    Is it for 9 and 10 speed?

11. msrw

msrw New Member

Your guess is correct. The Ergo Brain 9 is for nine speed drive systems, and requires a 9 speed wiring harness. The Ergo Brain 10 is for either nine or ten speed drivetrains, and works with either wiring harness. If memory serves, you can use either with double or triple cranks.

12. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Complicated, no. Cluttered, yes.

13. puma

puma New Member

Just got one, so I don't have too much experience with it, but the only thing I don't like about it is that the gear/cassette indicators blink rather than stay a static. Which is a bit annoying. I only bring it up since I don't understand why Campy did it. It would be really cool if in the future you could reprogram these types of things; the next level of customization. Other than that though, it looks awesome and works awesome. Can't really see myself using anything else than a Campy computer with a Campy groupo.

14. labicci

labicci New Member

The new Ergobrain (black in colour) works with either double or triple, the old one (silver colour) works with double only.

15. B_ford999

B_ford999 New Member

I am thinking about buying one of these computers for my bike. Can anyone tell me if i need anything in addition to the £125(ish) kit. I already have ergo levers etc. what does the kit actually contain? Does it include the wiring harness and sensors etc?

Cheers. :)