Ergomo and Power Tap comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Because CV response is critical.
>
> Assuming for sake of argument that you're right, what then do you do with the information that HR
> provides you about your cardiovascular response?
>
> Andy Coggan

It gives a measure on each ride of how much of your current CV potential was required to complete
the ride or section of the ride.

If you are not tracking HR, you are bound to miss out on key information when things do not go to
plan. Imagine you complete a ride and you find that your average power was down. You have
perceptions like "my legs were toasted" or whatever but knowing where your heart rate was would tell
you more about what is going on. Cardiac drift happens and it is useful to know when it happens.

I am not claiming that you can't improve fitness without that data, but that you will have more
information to track trends in the fitness of the subject.

There is really no question about this.

Nick Burns wrote:

> Because CV response is critical.

Let's imagine we set up an experiment where we test power produced at lactate equilibrium. We might
take blood samples and measure lactate concentrations at various levels of exercise which we can get
from power produced. Measuring heart rate in this situation isn't very valuable since the HR at
which lactate equilibrium is reached varies according to other environmental conditions. (For
convenience, you probably want to do this in a lab, but there are situations, such as Indurain's
hour record, where it is done in the field.)

Yes, there is still a CV response, but it isn't the primary thing we want to measure. STF

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1066858518.23821@ns...
>
>
> Nick Burns wrote:
>
> > Because CV response is critical.
>
> Let's imagine we set up an experiment where we test power produced at lactate equilibrium. We
> might take blood samples and measure lactate concentrations at various levels of exercise which we
> can get from power produced. Measuring heart rate in this situation isn't very valuable since the
> HR at which lactate equilibrium is reached varies according to other environmental conditions.
> (For convenience, you probably want to do this in a lab, but there are situations, such as
> Indurain's hour record, where it is done in the field.)
>
> Yes, there is still a CV response, but it isn't the primary thing we want to measure. STF

It is not primary, true. But the relative values from session to session is very useful.

I am surprised that anyone would debate this. It seems to clear and obvious to me. Maybe I am not
explaining it clearly?

Doing lots of tests measuring power over various lengths of time, you can come up with nominal rates
of power. When you also track heart rate, you can more easily predict if you are going to have a
good, bad, or somewhere in between session (if you are also monitoring during the session) or you
have a possible explanation when analyzing afterwards (depending on what the HR curve says).

In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>"scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Moreover, power meters have become
>> >> the new HR monitor with numerous techno geeks AND serious cyclists looking to buy them.
>> >
>> >Power meters do not replace HRMs. I would be foolish to track power
>without
>> >heart rate.
>> >
>> >
>>
>> I think you have that backwards....
>>
>>
>http://www.topica.com/lists/wattage/read/message.html?mid=908880634&sort=d&s ****=15447
>>
>> Posted today.
>>
>> Scott
>
>It works the same either way you state it. HRMs do not replace power meters either. OK?

You are right on the replacement factor, but I would rather have a powermeter any day...

Scott

--
-*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
Web Services

> "Phil Holman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > In article <[email protected]>, Phil Holman
> > > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > >
> > > >Thanks for supplying the info Robert. Interesting to see another
> > power
> > > >measuring device that probably doesn't perform any better than a Powertap at almost twice the
> > > >price.
> > >
> > > Let's get the facts straight:
> > >
> > > MSRP:
> > > - PT w/Training Wheel - $799
> > > - PT Pro w/Training Wheel - $999
> > > - PT w/Race Wheel - $1099
> > > - PT Pro w/Race Wheel - $1299
> > > - Ergomo Sport - $1289
> >
> > Still as fiesty as ever Scott. The market demand for such devices
being
> > able to support several companies is questionable. I thought the
$300 I
> > paid for my PT was OK. It was used but the hub had just been
replaced
> > and personally, I wouldn't pay over $1000 for one. This from their website..... "Fortunately for
> > the consumer, there are several options on the
market
> > to choose from. At $1279, the Ergomo Sport® is a great value
considering
> > that the comparable competitor retails for more than twice the price"........
> >
> > They obviously don't consider the PT as being comparable.......more straight facts no doubt.
> >

"chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I can't say that I would agree with your assessment, Phil. One could argue that it's hard to see
> how the market could sustain itself selling $1500 wheelsets, which can't improve performance as
> much as an effectively utilized power meter.

$1500 is a bit much but I observe more Zipp wheelsets than I do power meters. One could argue that
effective training isn't really that dependent on a power meter. Having a comparable measurement
from one training session to another is likely just as good as an absolute wattage readout. I can
train just as effectively on a mag trainer with a speedometer and I don't really need to monitor
this for every training session. There is more to be gained by riders who structure their workouts
instead of just going out and riding and this can be accomplished with or without a power meter.

>Moreover, power meters have become the new HR monitor with numerous techno geeks AND serious
>cyclists looking to buy them. In my experience, many non-elite riders want to take the plunge
>to simply train better, and I can't disagree with them (granted, I do have an interest in
>them buying).

I would like to think there was more of a market for a $200 dollar unit that was say +/-3% accurate
but this would probably be perceived as being inadequate so teh purchaser shella out an extra S1000.
What can I say, good luck if they can sell enough of them to survive and make money.

>
> Having used many of these devices, I would say the Ergomo looks the most promising because of its
> simplicity, weight and wheel usage. Whether the leg issue comes into play we'll have to wait and
> see, but I don't believe most healthy cyclists have such a (leg) discrepancy that it would come
> into play. But we should find out soon.

Probably more a problem of a perceived flaw by a perspective purchaser rather than an actual one.

Phil Holman

Nick Burns wrote:

> It is not primary, true. But the relative values from session to session is very useful.

How? If we are looking at when lactate equilibrium occurs, why is it useful to know that under one
set of conditions it is reached at HR of 170bpm and in another at 168bpm? Could we say that if,
under the second set of conditions, the athlete was exercising at HR of 168bpm, that that
corresponded to lactate EQ? Could we make a predicition about the onset of lactate EQ under a third
set of conditions based on the data we had collected?

>
> I am surprised that anyone would debate this. It seems to clear and obvious to me. Maybe I am not
> explaining it clearly?
>
> Doing lots of tests measuring power over various lengths of time, you can come up with nominal
> rates of power. When you also track heart rate, you can more easily predict if you are going to
> have a good, bad, or somewhere in between session (if you are also monitoring during the
> session) or you have a possible explanation when analyzing afterwards (depending on what the HR
> curve says).

You could gather qualitative data (good/bad/indifferent) by measuring subject response on a scale of
perceived effort/exertion and monitor that at intervals during the session.

For example, here's some data (apologies if this gets mangled in non-fixed font).

Column 1 is time in minutes, columns 2 and 3 is HR in beats per minute for an athlete in two
separate test sessions (conditions: treadmill run 13kph at 32C, 50% humidity). Column 4 is time in
seconds and column 5 is HR in bpm for a VO2max test (treadmill run, speed from 13kph to 19kph in
2kph increments every 2 mins) for the same athlete.

T (min) T (sec) 2 131 112 0 128 4 134 130 30 135 6 137 130 60 142 8 139 139 90 143
10 140 143 120 143 12 141 154 150 145 14 145 155 180 149 16 146 156 210 154
18 150 157 240 154 20 151 159 270 156 22 151 162 300 162 24 150 163 330 163
26 152 165 360 165 28 153 165 390 168 30 155 166 420 169 32 155 166 450 171
34 131 167 480 173 36 116 168 510 169 38 149 169 540 174 40 156 169 42 157
170 44 158 170 46 160 171 48 163 172 50 160 174 52 160 174 54 163 175 56 163
175 58 164 176 60 171 176 62 169 177 64 168 177 66 168 177 68 169 178

VO2max was measured at 69.9 ml/kg/min for this athlete. Just using the comparative heart rate data
(since the treadmill speed and environmental conditions were the same), what can you conclude about
the two tests? Was the athlete having a good or bad session? If so, which one? How did they manage
to run above VO2max HR (174 bpm) for 18 minutes in test 2 but never reach it in test 1? HR at
lactate threshold was previously measured for this athlete at 170bpm. Does that mean that they were
running for 26 minutes above LT in test 2 and never reached it in test 1? If speed at lactate
threshold was being studied, would it be sensible to use HR as the measure of LT? How do we treat
the data if the resting heart rate changes between sessions? Is it relevant?

Now go back to consider the situation where you are measuring power output of a cyclist and trying
to relate it to heart rate. Can you see that there will be situations where the heart rate data will
not tell you anything useful - you cannot predict response in another situation from data gathered
in another.

Your response elsewhere was closer to the mark - that by knowing the data, an athlete can relate the
effort to how they "feel". It came as no surprise to this athlete that LT was at 170bpm since that
was the same "feeling" as they had in flat 10km road races and data gathered from an HRM _in similar
situations_ confirmed that the _feeling_ was correct. STF

In article <1066869221.682151@ns>, Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nick Burns wrote:
>
>
> > It is not primary, true. But the relative values from session to session is very useful.
>
> How? If we are looking at when lactate equilibrium occurs, why is it useful to know that under one
> set of conditions it is reached at HR of 170bpm and in another at 168bpm? Could we say that if,
> under the second set of conditions, the athlete was exercising at HR of 168bpm, that that
> corresponded to lactate EQ?

2 bpm isn't enough to worry about. Look harder at differences of 5+bpm. The user should also be
aware of the factors that can cause HR to vary and they can make adjustments accordingly. For
example, if your HR is 5 bpm high for a given power and it's hot, it's reasonable to back off the
power and train at the "normal" HR for that effort. If HR is low by 5bpm it may be an indication
that you should not train at the "normal" HR for that effort.

> > I am surprised that anyone would debate this. It seems to clear and obvious to me. Maybe I am
> > not explaining it clearly?

Nah. Just personal bias and infatuation with something new. What some power proponents forget is
that we don't have to chose between measuring power *or* HR- we can utilize the information from
both measures.

> > Doing lots of tests measuring power over various lengths of time, you can come up with nominal
> > rates of power. When you also track heart rate, you can more easily predict if you are going to
> > have a good, bad, or somewhere in between session (if you are also monitoring during the
> > session) or you have a possible explanation when analyzing afterwards (depending on what the HR
> > curve says).
>
> You could gather qualitative data (good/bad/indifferent) by measuring subject response on a scale
> of perceived effort/exertion and monitor that at intervals during the session.

And how will an athlete record this PE throughout their daily training sessions on a measurement
scale that is consistent from day to day and month to month?

How much does the LTHR of a trained person change during the season? 3-5 bpm? Small target. How much
does the LT power of a trained person change during the season? 30-80 watts? Wide target.

-WG

Uh Chris, a smiley face after a statement usually indicates that the writer is making a joke.

Cheers,

Jim

"chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> If one wanted to increase their numbers they could just buy an SRM and input a slope coeficient
> half that of the one set for their meter. That would give them nice big numbers. Then again, if
> they wanted to do that they bought it for other reason besides improving performance...
>
> CH
>
> "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "scott patton" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > There are others, you can find details @ http://www.ergomo-usa.com.
> >
> > Thanks for the link Scott. Just looking at the device, it seems to me
that
> > it can only measure torque carried by the bottom bracket spindle which
means
> > it can only measure left leg power/torque.
> >
> > If you are just using it to follow your own training it might not
matter.
> > Then again, you might adopt a left pedal power style to get bigger
numbers
> > ;-)

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.528 / Virus Database: 324 - Release Date: 10/16/2003

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Because CV response is critical.
> >
> > Assuming for sake of argument that you're right, what then do you do
with
> > the information that HR provides you about your cardiovascular response?
> >
> > Andy Coggan
>
> It gives a measure on each ride of how much of your current CV potential
was
> required to complete the ride or section of the ride.

And that tells me...?

> If you are not tracking HR, you are bound to miss out on key information when things do not go to
> plan. Imagine you complete a ride and you find
that
> your average power was down. You have perceptions like "my legs were toasted" or whatever but
> knowing where your heart rate was would tell you more about what is going on.

And what can I do with that information that would be of use?

> Cardiac drift happens and it is useful to know when it happens.

Because...?

> I am not claiming that you can't improve fitness without that data, but
that
> you will have more information to track trends in the fitness of the subject.
>
> There is really no question about this.

Really? Some of your "elders" might disagree with you:

http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/55/d0000000200000047.cfm?pid=96

Andy Coggan
>
>

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:221020031853000725%[email protected]...
> In article <1066869221.682151@ns>, Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Nick Burns wrote:
> >
> >
> > > It is not primary, true. But the relative values from session to
session is
> > > very useful.
> >
> > How? If we are looking at when lactate equilibrium occurs, why is it useful to know that under
> > one set of conditions it is reached at HR of 170bpm and in another at 168bpm? Could we say that
> > if, under the second set of conditions, the athlete was exercising at HR of 168bpm, that that
> > corresponded to lactate EQ?
>
> 2 bpm isn't enough to worry about. Look harder at differences of 5+bpm. The user should also be
> aware of the factors that can cause HR to vary and they can make adjustments accordingly. For
> example, if your HR is 5 bpm high for a given power and it's hot, it's reasonable to back off the
> power and train at the "normal" HR for that effort.

And what evidence is there that this is what you should do?

> If HR is low by 5bpm it may be an indication that you should not train at the "normal" HR for
> that effort.

"May" seems to be the operative word...
>
> > > I am surprised that anyone would debate this. It seems to clear and
obvious
> > > to me. Maybe I am not explaining it clearly?
>
> Nah. Just personal bias

Try "better insight into the physiology of exercise, garnered through years of measuring power,
VO2, HR, etc., under controlled laboratory conditions". (Only in cycling do you find the
infatuation with HR.)

> and infatuation with something new.

Wrong - skepticism about the value of HR monitors/monitoring predates the widespread availability of
powermeters. For example, see the comments of Drs. Coyle, Maughan, Daniels, etc., in this article:

http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/55/d0000000200000047.cfm?pid=96

(Also note that the single hold-out was the late Dr. Ed Burke...thus reinforcing my point that it is
only in the cycling world that HR holds such sway.)

> What some power proponents forget is that we don't have to chose between measuring power *or* HR-
> we can utilize the information from both measures.

If you have power, then I'd say that HR data falls somewhere between "occasionally useful" to
"downright useless". I certainly wouldn't subscribe to Mr. Harnish's claim that not monitoring HR is
"downright foolish".

> > > Doing lots of tests measuring power over various lengths of time, you
can
> > > come up with nominal rates of power. When you also track heart rate,
you can
> > > more easily predict if you are going to have a good, bad, or somewhere
in
> > > between session (if you are also monitoring during the session) or you
have
> > > a possible explanation when analyzing afterwards (depending on what
the HR
> > > curve says).
> >
> > You could gather qualitative data (good/bad/indifferent) by measuring subject response on a
> > scale of perceived effort/exertion and monitor that at intervals during the session.
>
> And how will an athlete record this PE throughout their daily training sessions on a measurement
> scale that is consistent from day to day and month to month?

That's simple: use the Borg scale. It works just as well as using HR - for example, see:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14523315&dop-
t=Abstract

> How much does the LTHR of a trained person change during the season? 3-5 bpm? Small target. How
> much does the LT power of a trained person change during the season? 30-80 watts? Wide target.

If you prescribing training based on outdated information (either power or HR), then you're making a
mistake, period. One advantage of using a powermeter is that it reduces or even eliminates the need
to formally reassess fitness, since training is testing.

Andy Coggan

In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:221020031853000725%[email protected]...
> > In article <1066869221.682151@ns>, Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

> > 2 bpm isn't enough to worry about. Look harder at differences of 5+bpm. The user should also be
> > aware of the factors that can cause HR to vary and they can make adjustments accordingly. For
> > example, if your HR is 5 bpm high for a given power and it's hot, it's reasonable to back off
> > the power and train at the "normal" HR for that effort.
>
> And what evidence is there that this is what you should do?

Training in hot conditions adds stress.

> > > > I am surprised that anyone would debate this. It seems to clear and
> obvious
> > > > to me. Maybe I am not explaining it clearly?
> >
> > Nah. Just personal bias
>
> Try "better insight into the physiology of exercise, garnered through years of measuring power,
> VO2, HR, etc., under controlled laboratory conditions".

No mention of all the professionals who get paid to know how to help their riders go as fast as
possible who disagree with your limited view of training in the real world of bike racing at the
highest levels?

> > and infatuation with something new.
>
> Wrong - skepticism about the value of HR monitors/monitoring predates the widespread availability
> of powermeters. For example, see the comments of Drs. Coyle, Maughan, Daniels, etc., in this
> article:
>
> http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/55/d0000000200000047.cfm?pid=96
>
> (Also note that the single hold-out was the late Dr. Ed Burke...thus reinforcing my point that it
> is only in the cycling world that HR holds such sway.)

Not surprising since HRM's are more applicable to cycling than track and field, swimming, most flat
running events, etc., where conditions are very controlled, precisely measured, easily repeatable,
and most of the events are short. And as we all know, HRM's aren't as useful for short events nor
for most of the training for short efforts.

From the article you referenced...

Daniels says : "It would depend on the sport in which the athlete was participating. In situations
when velocity of movement is not easily controlled, or when undulating terrain or adverse weather
conditions may be a factor, heart rate monitors may be useful."

Sounds like cycling to me. IOW, he thinks HRM's could be useful for cycling.

Coyle says: "I'd tell an athlete to use it as a motivational tool when they train hard, or as a
means of preventing overtraining during periods when they are supposed to be taking it easy. The
heart-rate monitor is like a coach that keeps you on track. Most athletes who train by themselves
tend to train too hard when they should be taking it easy, or they train too easy when they should
be pushing it a bit more. Heart-rate monitors, like coaches, can be more objective than the athlete
in assessing whether the objective of training is being met."

Sounds like he sees some use for HRM's.

Maughan says: "The experienced athlete has probably learned to monitor his body's internal cues, and
will not be as likely to benefit by using a heart rate monitor. Nevertheless, one can not discount
the fact that requiring an athlete to assess and record daily training heart rates can give a coach
insights into the athlete's response to a training session, as well as confirmation that the athlete
actually carried out the exercise session."

More agreement from one of your "skeptics".

And among Burke's many comments in favor of using an HRM... "By monitoring heart rate accurately, an
athlete can get more benefit out of the time spent training. The three most important variables in
designing a training program are frequency, time, and intensity of training. The first two factors
are easy to monitor, but intensity of training may be difficult to gauge. Recording training heart
rate in a daily log can help to quantify this important training variable."

Pretty much what many experts in the field of cycling training already know from experience.

> > > You could gather qualitative data (good/bad/indifferent) by measuring subject response on a
> > > scale of perceived effort/exertion and monitor that at intervals during the session.
> >
> > And how will an athlete record this PE throughout their daily training sessions on a measurement
> > scale that is consistent from day to day and month to month?
>
> That's simple: use the Borg scale. It works just as well as using HR - for example, see:
>
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids
> =14523315&dopt=Abstract

It's still just a *subjective* estimate by the person doing the effort, and no means of recording
each of these estimates with each effort. One of your "skeptics" already explained how the HRM could
be used for more accuracy.
>
> > How much does the LTHR of a trained person change during the season? 3-5 bpm? Small target. How
> > much does the LT power of a trained person change during the season? 30-80 watts? Wide target.
>
> If you prescribing training based on outdated information (either power or HR), then you're making
> a mistake, period.

It's not an *OR* choice. Power and HR can be used together for greatest benefit.

-WG

"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > >
> > > > Because CV response is critical.
> > >
> > > Assuming for sake of argument that you're right, what then do you do
> with
> > > the information that HR provides you about your cardiovascular
response?
> > >
> > > Andy Coggan
> >
> > It gives a measure on each ride of how much of your current CV potential
> was
> > required to complete the ride or section of the ride.
>
> And that tells me...?
>
> > If you are not tracking HR, you are bound to miss out on key information when things do not go
> > to plan. Imagine you complete a ride and you find
> that
> > your average power was down. You have perceptions like "my legs were toasted" or whatever but
> > knowing where your heart rate was would tell
you
> > more about what is going on.
>
> And what can I do with that information that would be of use?
>
> > Cardiac drift happens and it is useful to know when it happens.
>
> Because...?
>
> > I am not claiming that you can't improve fitness without that data, but
> that
> > you will have more information to track trends in the fitness of the subject.
> >
> > There is really no question about this.
>
> Really? Some of your "elders" might disagree with you:
>
> http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/55/d0000000200000047.cfm?pid=96
>
> Andy Coggan

See Warren's response below. He should have answered all of those questions here. Anyway, I don't
care that you don't use HR. You have always had your own narrow view of training.

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:221020032237483246%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:221020031853000725%[email protected]...
> > > In article <1066869221.682151@ns>, Stewart Fleming
<[email protected]>
> > > wrote:
>
> > > 2 bpm isn't enough to worry about. Look harder at differences of
5+bpm.
> > > The user should also be aware of the factors that can cause HR to vary and they can make
> > > adjustments accordingly. For example, if your HR is
> > > bpm high for a given power and it's hot, it's reasonable to back off the power and train at
> > > the "normal" HR for that effort.
> >
> > And what evidence is there that this is what you should do?
>
> Training in hot conditions adds stress.

And yet you need to train in the heat to acclimatize to it (passive exposure doesn't induce
significant adaptation). So while you're backing way off because your HR is a little elevated, other
people are gaining an advantage over you.

> > > > > I am surprised that anyone would debate this. It seems to clear
and
> > obvious
> > > > > to me. Maybe I am not explaining it clearly?
> > >
> > > Nah. Just personal bias
> >
> > Try "better insight into the physiology of exercise, garnered through
years
> > of measuring power, VO2, HR, etc., under controlled laboratory
conditions".
>
> No mention of all the professionals who get paid to know how to help their riders go as fast as
> possible who disagree with your limited view of training in the real world of bike racing at the
> highest levels?
>
> > > and infatuation with something new.
> >
> > Wrong - skepticism about the value of HR monitors/monitoring predates
the
> > widespread availability of powermeters. For example, see the comments of Drs. Coyle, Maughan,
> > Daniels, etc., in this article:
> >
> > http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/55/d0000000200000047.cfm?pid=96
> >
> > (Also note that the single hold-out was the late Dr. Ed Burke...thus reinforcing my point that
> > it is only in the cycling world that HR holds
such
> > sway.)
>
> Not surprising since HRM's are more applicable to cycling than track and field, swimming, most
> flat running events, etc., where conditions are very controlled, precisely measured, easily
> repeatable, and most of the events are short. And as we all know, HRM's aren't as useful for short
> events nor for most of the training for short efforts.
>
> From the article you referenced...
>
> Daniels says : "It would depend on the sport in which the athlete was participating. In situations
> when velocity of movement is not easily controlled, or when undulating terrain or adverse weather
> conditions may be a factor, heart rate monitors may be useful."
>
> Sounds like cycling to me. IOW, he thinks HRM's could be useful for cycling.

Which is pretty much what I wrote in the introduction to my chapter for USAC. But, my point is that
of the three well-respected exercise scientists and the one well-respected science writer who
participated in the roundtable, only the individual associated with cycling came out strongly in
favor of HR monitors/monitoring.
>
> Coyle says: "I'd tell an athlete to use it as a motivational tool when they train hard, or as a
> means of preventing overtraining during periods when they are supposed to be taking it easy. The
> heart-rate monitor is like a coach that keeps you on track. Most athletes who train by themselves
> tend to train too hard when they should be taking it easy, or they train too easy when they should
> be pushing it a bit more. Heart-rate monitors, like coaches, can be more objective than the
> athlete in assessing whether the objective of training is being met."

Coggan says (w/ apologies to Eddie for stealing his words) "I tell athletes to use it as a
motivational tool when they train hard, or as a means of preventing overtraining during periods when
they are supposed to be taking it easy. The powermeter is like a coach that keeps you on track. Most
athletes who train by themselves tend to train too hard when they should be taking it easy, or they
train too easy when they should be pushing it a bit more. Powermeters, like coaches, can be more
objective than the athlete in assessing whether the objective of training is being met."

> Sounds like he sees some use for HRM's.

Big difference between "some use" and Harnish's claim that it would be "foolish" to not measure HR.

> Maughan says: "The experienced athlete has probably learned to monitor his body's internal cues,
> and will not be as likely to benefit by using a heart rate monitor. Nevertheless, one can not
> discount the fact that requiring an athlete to assess and record daily training heart rates can
> give a coach insights into the athlete's response to a training session, as well as confirmation
> that the athlete actually carried out the exercise session."

Coggan says (this time with apologies to Ron): "The experienced athlete has probably learned to
monitor his or her body's internal cues, and will not be as likely to benefit by using a powermeter.
Nevertheless, one can not discount the fact that requiring an athlete to assess and record daily
training power output can give a coach insights into the athlete's response to a training session,
as well as confirmation that the athlete actually carried out the exercise session."

> More agreement from one of your "skeptics".

I said skepticism, not skeptics. Anybody who takes time to read the whole article, rather than just
the parts you've chosen to quote, will see that Coyle, Maughan, and Daniels expressed the same sorts
of reservations with regard to HR monitoring that I do.

> And among Burke's many comments in favor of using an HRM... "By monitoring heart rate accurately,
> an athlete can get more benefit out of the time spent training. The three most important variables
> in designing a training program are frequency, time, and intensity of training. The first two
> factors are easy to monitor, but intensity of training may be difficult to gauge. Recording
> training heart rate in a daily log can help to quantify this important training variable."

And among Coggan's many comments in favor of using an HRM (with apologies to Ed) "By monitoring
power output directly, an athlete can get more benefit out of the time spent training. The three
most important variables in designing a training program are frequency, time, and intensity of
training. The first two factors are easy to monitor, but intensity of training may be difficult to
gauge. Recording power output while training in a daily log can help to quantify this important
training variable."

> Pretty much what many experts in the field of cycling training already know from experience.

As Charles Howe like to emphasize, if you know power and perceived effort, then measuring HR is
practically redundant.

> > > > You could gather qualitative data (good/bad/indifferent) by
measuring
> > > > subject response on a scale of perceived effort/exertion and monitor that at intervals
> > > > during the session.
> > >
> > > And how will an athlete record this PE throughout their daily training sessions on a
> > > measurement scale that is consistent from day to day and month to month?
> >
> > That's simple: use the Borg scale. It works just as well as using HR -
for
> > example, see:
> >
> >
> >
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids
> > =14523315&dopt=Abstract
>
> It's still just a *subjective* estimate by the person doing the effort,

The fact that it is subjective is actually part of its benefit: regardless of what any objective
measurements might be telling you, if you feel bad, you feel bad. But in any case, contrary to your
attempt to imply that perceived effort is inaccurate, numerous studies have shown that even
untrained individuals are capable of judging their effort quite accurately, given an appropriate
scale and some brief instructions.

> and no means of recording each of these estimates with each effort. One of your "skeptics" already
> explained how the HRM could be used for more accuracy.

No one said anything in that roundtable discussion about HR monitoring vs. perceived exertion
measurements.

> > > How much does the LTHR of a trained person change during the season? 3-5 bpm? Small target.
> > > How much does the LT power of a trained person change during the season? 30-80 watts? Wide
> > > target.
> >
> > If you prescribing training based on outdated information (either power
or
> > HR), then you're making a mistake, period.
>
> It's not an *OR* choice. Power and HR can be used together for greatest benefit.

And again I ask: if I know my power and perceived effort, what additional valuable information do I
obtain by also measuring HR? Neither you nor Mr. Harnish (who considers not measuring HR alongside
of power to be "foolish") have even begun to address that question.

Andy Coggan

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > > >
> > > > > Because CV response is critical.
> > > >
> > > > Assuming for sake of argument that you're right, what then do you do
> > with
> > > > the information that HR provides you about your cardiovascular
> response?
> > > >
> > > > Andy Coggan
> > >
> > > It gives a measure on each ride of how much of your current CV
potential
> > was
> > > required to complete the ride or section of the ride.
> >
> > And that tells me...?
> >
> > > If you are not tracking HR, you are bound to miss out on key
information
> > > when things do not go to plan. Imagine you complete a ride and you
find
> > that
> > > your average power was down. You have perceptions like "my legs were toasted" or whatever but
> > > knowing where your heart rate was would tell
> you
> > > more about what is going on.
> >
> > And what can I do with that information that would be of use?
> >
> > > Cardiac drift happens and it is useful to know when it happens.
> >
> > Because...?
> >
> > > I am not claiming that you can't improve fitness without that data,
but
> > that
> > > you will have more information to track trends in the fitness of the subject.
> > >
> > > There is really no question about this.
> >
> > Really? Some of your "elders" might disagree with you:
> >
> > http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/55/d0000000200000047.cfm?pid=96
> >
> > Andy Coggan
>
> See Warren's response below. He should have answered all of those
questions
> here.

He didn't, at least not to my satisfaction.

> Anyway, I don't care that you don't use HR. You have always had your own narrow view of training.

You'll only know my true view on training when I get around to writing a book on the subject.
Case-in-point: I *do* use a HR monitor about 90% of the time (I also lift weights for 3 mo every
winter, and every few years even break out the fixed gear).

Andy Coggan

P.S. Apologies to both you and Chris Harnish if I've inadvertantly attributed comments of one of
you to the other. I have a hard time keeping the multiple Chris/Nick Burns thing straight,
just like I don't really know if it was Hansen#1 or Hansen#2 who asked that famous question of
Shaun Wallace.

>"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> > >
>> > > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > > > >
>> > > > > Because CV response is critical.
>> > > >
>> > > > Assuming for sake of argument that you're right, what then do you do
>> > with
>> > > > the information that HR provides you about your cardiovascular
>> response?
>> > > >
>> > > > Andy Coggan
>> > >
>> > > It gives a measure on each ride of how much of your current CV
>potential
>> > was
>> > > required to complete the ride or section of the ride.
>> >
>> > And that tells me...?
>> >
>> > > If you are not tracking HR, you are bound to miss out on key
>information
>> > > when things do not go to plan. Imagine you complete a ride and you
>find
>> > that
>> > > your average power was down. You have perceptions like "my legs were toasted" or whatever but
>> > > knowing where your heart rate was would tell
>> you
>> > > more about what is going on.
>> >
>> > And what can I do with that information that would be of use?
>> >
>> > > Cardiac drift happens and it is useful to know when it happens.
>> >
>> > Because...?
>> >
>> > > I am not claiming that you can't improve fitness without that data,
>but
>> > that
>> > > you will have more information to track trends in the fitness of the subject.
>> > >
>> > > There is really no question about this.
>> >
>> > Really? Some of your "elders" might disagree with you:
>> >
>> > http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/55/d0000000200000047.cfm?pid=96
>> >
>> > Andy Coggan
>>
>> See Warren's response below. He should have answered all of those
>questions
>> here.
>
>He didn't, at least not to my satisfaction.
>
>> Anyway, I don't care that you don't use HR. You have always had your own narrow view of training.
>
>You'll only know my true view on training when I get around to writing a book on the subject.
>Case-in-point: I *do* use a HR monitor about 90% of the time (I also lift weights for 3 mo every
>winter, and every few years even break out the fixed gear).
>
>Andy Coggan
>
>P.S. Apologies to both you and Chris Harnish if I've inadvertantly attributed comments of one of
> you to the other. I have a hard time keeping the multiple Chris/Nick Burns thing straight,
> just like I don't really know if it was Hansen#1 or Hansen#2 who asked that famous question of
> Shaun Wallace.
>
>
>

Hansen #1 asked the question.

Hansen #2 laughed at Hansen #1.

Scott
--
-*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
Web Services

In article <[email protected]>, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
>Andy Coggan wrote:
>> I have a hard time keeping the multiple Chris/Nick Burns thing straight, just like I don't really
>> know if it was Hansen#1 or Hansen#2 who asked that famous question of Shaun Wallace.
>
>http://www.google.com/groups?selm=3a01b17f.180741245%40news.connectnet.com
>
>

Those were the good old days....

Scott
--
Web Services

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:221020032237483246%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:221020031853000725%[email protected]...
> > > > In article <1066869221.682151@ns>, Stewart Fleming
> <[email protected]>
> > > > wrote:
> >
> > > > 2 bpm isn't enough to worry about. Look harder at differences of
> 5+bpm.
> > > > The user should also be aware of the factors that can cause HR to vary and they can make
> > > > adjustments accordingly. For example, if your HR is
> 5
> > > > bpm high for a given power and it's hot, it's reasonable to back off the power and train at
> > > > the "normal" HR for that effort.
> > >
> > > And what evidence is there that this is what you should do?
> >
> > Training in hot conditions adds stress.
>
> And yet you need to train in the heat to acclimatize to it

Duh!

> > Sounds like cycling to me. IOW, he thinks HRM's could be useful for cycling.
>
> Which is pretty much what I wrote in the introduction to my chapter for USAC. But, my point is
> that of the three well-respected exercise scientists and the one well-respected science writer who
> participated in the roundtable, only the individual associated with cycling came out strongly in
> favor of HR monitors/monitoring.

So what?! Aren't we discussing the needs of cyclists here?

> Coggan says (w/ apologies to Eddie for stealing his words) "I tell athletes to use it as a
> motivational tool when they train hard, or as a means of preventing overtraining during periods
> when they are supposed to be taking it easy. The powermeter is like a coach that keeps you on
> track. Most athletes who train by themselves tend to train too hard when they should be taking it
> easy, or they train too easy when they should be pushing it a bit more. Powermeters, like
> coaches, can be more objective than the athlete in assessing whether the objective of training is
> being met."
>
>
> > Sounds like he sees some use for HRM's.
>
> Big difference between "some use" and Harnish's claim that it would be "foolish" to not
> measure HR.

Foolish to ignore "some use" (ful) information.

> > and no means of recording each of these estimates with each effort. One of your "skeptics"
> > already explained how the HRM could be used for more accuracy.
>
> No one said anything in that roundtable discussion about HR monitoring vs. perceived exertion
> measurements.

Yes, they did. Athlete perceptions about PE are not reliable and they are subjective, just like
you've implied in the past.

>
> > > > How much does the LTHR of a trained person change during the season? 3-5 bpm? Small target.
> > > > How much does the LT power of a trained person change during the season? 30-80 watts? Wide
> > > > target.
> > >
> > > If you prescribing training based on outdated information (either power
> or
> > > HR), then you're making a mistake, period.
> >
> > It's not an *OR* choice. Power and HR can be used together for greatest benefit.
>
> And again I ask: if I know my power and perceived effort, what additional valuable information do
> I obtain by also measuring HR? Neither you nor Mr. Harnish (who considers not measuring HR
> alongside of power to be "foolish") have even begun to address that question.

You can choose to ignore what Chris and I have said here already and we will not be disappointed, or
surprised.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:231020030847167884%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:221020032237483246%[email protected]...
> > > In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
> > > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > > news:221020031853000725%[email protected]...
> > > > > In article <1066869221.682151@ns>, Stewart Fleming
> > <[email protected]>
> > > > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > > 2 bpm isn't enough to worry about. Look harder at differences of
> > 5+bpm.
> > > > > The user should also be aware of the factors that can cause HR to
vary
> > > > > and they can make adjustments accordingly. For example, if your HR
is
> > 5
> > > > > bpm high for a given power and it's hot, it's reasonable to back
off
> > > > > the power and train at the "normal" HR for that effort.
> > > >
> > > > And what evidence is there that this is what you should do?
> > >
> > > Training in hot conditions adds stress.
> >
> > And yet you need to train in the heat to acclimatize to it
>
> Duh!
>
> > > Sounds like cycling to me. IOW, he thinks HRM's could be useful for cycling.
> >
> > Which is pretty much what I wrote in the introduction to my chapter for USAC. But, my point is
> > that of the three well-respected exercise
scientists
> > and the one well-respected science writer who participated in the roundtable, only the
> > individual associated with cycling came out
strongly in
> > favor of HR monitors/monitoring.
>
> So what?! Aren't we discussing the needs of cyclists here?

The point is relevant because it shows how much the needs of cyclists have distorted the world's
view. That is, because cyclists/cycling coaches can't as readily rely on simple time-vs-distance
measurements to quantify training intensity, they have come to believe that HR says far more about
physiological function than it really does.

> > Coggan says (w/ apologies to Eddie for stealing his words) "I tell
athletes
> > to use it as a motivational tool when they train hard, or as a means of preventing overtraining
> > during periods when they are supposed to be
taking
> > it easy. The powermeter is like a coach that keeps you on track. Most athletes who train by
> > themselves tend to train too hard when they should
be
> > taking it easy, or they train too easy when they should be pushing it a
bit
> > more. Powermeters, like coaches, can be more objective than the athlete
in
> > assessing whether the objective of training is being met."
> >
> >
> > > Sounds like he sees some use for HRM's.
> >
> > Big difference between "some use" and Harnish's claim that it would be "foolish" to not
> > measure HR.
>
> Foolish to ignore "some use" (ful) information.

I'm still waiting for an example of where HR has proven to provide useful information that cannot
just as easily or perhaps even more easily be obtained other ways.

> > > and no means of recording each of these estimates with each effort.
One
> > > of your "skeptics" already explained how the HRM could be used for
more
> > > accuracy.
> >
> > No one said anything in that roundtable discussion about HR monitoring
vs.
> > perceived exertion measurements.
>
> Yes, they did. Athlete perceptions about PE are not reliable and they are subjective, just like
> you've implied in the past.

Go back and read the roundtable again: no one said anything about using the Borg scale. Furthermore,
I have never said that perceived effort is unreliable.

> > > > > How much does the LTHR of a trained person change during the
season?
> > > > > 3-5 bpm? Small target. How much does the LT power of a trained
person
> > > > > change during the season? 30-80 watts? Wide target.
> > > >
> > > > If you prescribing training based on outdated information (either
power
> > or
> > > > HR), then you're making a mistake, period.
> > >
> > > It's not an *OR* choice. Power and HR can be used together for
greatest
> > > benefit.
> >
> > And again I ask: if I know my power and perceived effort, what
additional
> > valuable information do I obtain by also measuring HR? Neither you nor
vt.
> > Harnish (who considers not measuring HR alongside of power to be
"foolish")
> > have even begun to address that question.
>
> You can choose to ignore what Chris and I have said here already and we will not be disappointed,
> or surprised.

I'm not ignoring it, I'm discounting it because you haven't made a convincing case. But you don't
have to rely on my word for that, we can take a poll: how many people reading this thread have been
convinced *strictly by what Warren or Chris have written here* (IOW, try to ignore your prior
position on the subject) that measuring HR on top of power and perceived effort is so useful that to
not do so would be "foolish" (to use Chris' word).

Andy Coggan

Andy Coggan wrote:

> P.S. Apologies to both you and Chris Harnish if I've inadvertantly attributed comments of one of
> you to the other. I have a hard time keeping the multiple Chris/Nick Burns thing straight,
> just like I don't really know if it was Hansen#1 or Hansen#2 who asked that famous question
> of Shaun Wallace.

Some of the comments attributed to me in this thread are not ones that I wrote either. I got
incredibly confused reading this portion of the thread. STF

Status
Not open for further replies.