Ergomo or Power Tap for uk riding (wet)?

teakay

Oct 28, 2004
I am thinking of joining the Powermeasuring world and have been looking at both the Ergomo and Powertap systems. I have heard that wet weather can be a problem with the Power Tap system , which living in the UK is a bit of a problem. If I went with a PowerTap I think I would want to start with a Pro model on a training wheel and may be add a SL on a race wheel at a later date. This would mean I would not use the system for major races this year.

Currently I have the following Plusses and negatives of the 2 systems:

Powertap - Easier/cheaper to set up to use on 2 bikes. The Pro version is cheaper. The monitor is smaller. Will work with my powercranks.

Seems abit prone to the wet. Cannot use current wheels or a disk (thought could use wheel covers).

Ergomo - I haven't hear of any issues in the wet. Can use current wheels.

Harder to swap between bikes. The monitor seems quite large. I have heard that there might be fitting problems with my powercranks (I have the older model cranks so I think they may be ok).

Any help on what model might suit me best would be great.

teakay said:
I am thinking of joining the Powermeasuring world and have been looking at both the Ergomo and Powertap systems. I have heard that wet weather can be a problem with the Power Tap system , which living in the UK is a bit of a problem. If I went with a PowerTap I think I would want to start with a Pro model on a training wheel and may be add a SL on a race wheel at a later date. This would mean I would not use the system for major races this year.

Currently I have the following Plusses and negatives of the 2 systems:

Powertap - Easier/cheaper to set up to use on 2 bikes. The Pro version is cheaper. The monitor is smaller. Will work with my powercranks.

Seems abit prone to the wet. Cannot use current wheels or a disk (thought could use wheel covers).

Ergomo - I haven't hear of any issues in the wet. Can use current wheels.

Harder to swap between bikes. The monitor seems quite large. I have heard that there might be fitting problems with my powercranks (I have the older model cranks so I think they may be ok).

Any help on what model might suit me best would be great.

I had an Ergomo that i had for testing. It failed on me last winter after (guessing) 6 weeks of use due to waterproofing issues. At the same time i was running an old *Tune* Power Tap, which was an original Power Tap that had many waterproofing issues. The hub was fine during the weather.

The Cyclops Power Tap i have found to be fine in the wet Welsh weather that i train in regularly. My PT has to go back about once every 24months for servicing. Occasionally, the reciever kit can get overly wet and need drying out (or you can put auto electric grease around the entry points for better sealing).

My advice is to use the PT in as many races as possible and to maybe try and build it into a semi-race wheel (i have mine built onto a 30-mm aluminium rim). The data you can get from races is *invaluable*.

Caveat, i sell the PT in the UK (with hopefully the best UK prices).

Any other questions, just ask!

ric

Thanks Ric,

I will e-mail via your website to get an idea of the Powertap prices.