Ergomo User

ianbirlem

May 29, 2004
For all those looking for Ergomo information....

I've had an Ergomo for about three weeks. My hopes were high having seen almost every Powertap die an untimely and ugly death. I sold Powertaps for several years and had almost every one warrantied multiple times for bad mounts, poor seals, bad electronics, etc., etc.

Unfortunately, the base of my Ergomo cracked in less than a week leaving it hanging off my handlebar. The Ergomo also uses a crappy $2.00 mount designed for a headlight. After cornering in a crit I was often reaching down to recenter the computer.

It also stopped recording watts and speed. Possibly related, the cable came loose from the threaded guide that attaches it to the bottom of the computer!

Ergomo says they'll warranty it and I'm reserving my judment in the hopes that this isn't another bad "Powertap" product. If you'd like an update, you can go ahead and post and I'll let you know how the warranty goes (I don't want a long debate about the quality of Powertap. There are enough posts complaining that the product is still unreliable even with multiple redesigns).

Please.... someone come up with a reliable solution for all us bike geeks to train with power without dropping $2,600 for an SRM Pro (though I've seen many posts saying they aren't completely reliable either).

Originally posted by ianbirlem
For all those looking for Ergomo information....

I've had an Ergomo for about three weeks. My hopes were high having seen almost every Powertap die an untimely and ugly death. I sold Powertaps for several years and had almost every one warrantied multiple times for bad mounts, poor seals, bad electronics, etc., etc.

sure there's some issues with PT there isn't the huge issue you describe, other than all products have a certain life. My PTs last 2 to 3 yrs on average before they need to go back for calibration. i've only seen the seals fail on the Tune (non-waterproof versions). my current one has been fine in the rain and i live in wales, where it rains heavily! i've not seen any of the new CPUs go wrong. admittedly, the receiver kit (harness) is a little weak, and this is where i see the vast majorities of warranties.

Ergomo says they'll warranty it and I'm reserving my judment in the hopes that this isn't another bad "Powertap" product. If you'd like an update, you can go ahead and post and I'll let you know how the warranty goes (I don't want a long debate about the quality of Powertap. There are enough posts complaining that the product is still unreliable even with multiple redesigns).

like i said mine has lasted more than 2 years, and i still have an original Tune one from pre production (i was a beta tester), which is 5+ years old. still works fine and until about 3 months ago was used almost daily. granted i tried to make sure it never went out in the rain, and all i've had to do is replace the bearings and regrease it twice a year, a bit like any other wheel.

Please.... someone come up with a reliable solution for all us bike geeks to train with power without dropping $2,600 for an SRM Pro (though I've seen many posts saying they aren't completely reliable either).

SRM and PT seem fine to me and my clients in terms of longevity and reliability. My Ergomo i don't have enough time on to make such a statement yet.

SRMs need frequent recalibration as the resins harden. i hear more bad reports about the SRM than the PT.

Power Tap, are excellent with warrantying products
ric

See several posts below. For anyone who wants to know the truth about Powertap reliablity do a two minute search on google. Just look at the last 8-10 post on this forum.

I think it will be clear what problems they have. I think once in awhile someone gets a good unit, and hats off to you if it's you! Otherwise, watch out. Also, be careful for coaches who sell the units and swear by them..... I was a retailer who sold my shop and I don't think replacing a $800 wheel every two years is a good sign!

If your Powertap lasts that long, you'll be lucky.

Power tap woes: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t126341.html

Powertap still no good if it's wet out: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t97375.html

A series of realistic assesments of powertap reliablity: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2002/letters/december07

A post from Training Bible Forum:
12/27/2002 - Roger Friend
Message Text:
I have used the Powertap off and on for 3 years and have found it to be unreliable. When Graber purchased the rights to the system from Tune they claimed to have improved the reliability, but that has not been my experience. I have had the wire go bad (not transmit data from the hub to the head unit) and need to be replaced on eight separate occasions. I have also had a head unit fail (not operate even with a fresh battery) twice. Ironically, the Powertap was reliable during the endless z1 hours of my base periods, but would fail in the middle of an interval workout when I need the power feed back the most.

Also, be careful for coaches who sell the units and swear by them..... I was a retailer who sold my shop and I don't think replacing a $800 wheel every two years is a good sign!

Be careful in what you insinuate...

i didn't say you replaced them in 2 years, i said they need to go back for calibration and or replacement of torque tube. not sure what the problem with that is?

ric

I maintain that many coaches sell the units and get them at wholesale from Powertap and have a built in reason to push them and defend them as you do multiple times throughout the forum.

I appologize if it hits a nerve....

I'm done debating. If anyone wants the info, follow the links.

ian,

what are you trying to insinuate about me? are you suggesting i'm a liar?

i have very few issues with any of the PT i've sold. on the odd couple where the receiver kit has broken PT send a new one without requiring the old one back, and the same with the odd CPU. i've not seen a torque tube go inside the warranty period, and outside the warranty are often repaired for free.

i don't expect anything to last for ever, and i rarely expect a warranty to last for longer than a year.

ric

For anyone who wants info please follow the links above. I've made it VERY clear what I think. I have to get off this forum and back on my bike, this is a ridiculous waste of time! Just trying to give helpful and realistic information to everyone. Follow the links.

Thank you

I maintain that many coaches sell the units and get them at wholesale from Powertap and have a built in reason to push them and defend them as you do multiple times throughout the forum.

I appologize if it hits a nerve....

I'm done debating. If anyone wants the info, follow the links.

Coaches are in business to make a profit as a reward for the risks they take (as opposed to cushy employment).

Why should not they sell products with a mark up to a retail price that is competitive with the market to supplement their fee based income?

I think we are all not so commercially naive not to be 'caveat emptor' aware (or is that carpe diem :) )

I know at least a half dozen cyclists who don't coach or sell PT's and they all swear by their pm's. Not sure what you could insinuate from that but I'm guessing it might be interesting.

Sorry to hear about your ergomo...I also notice that any substantial "jiggling" on the bike tends to make the computer move on the mount in such a way that I have to reach down and re-center it. Other then that, I've been putting mine through the ringer for 6mos now and it's going strong.

Clay T.

Ok, so I initiated one of those strings that Ian references. Yep, I'm frustrated with PowerTap. BUT, given the chance to do it over, I would buy powertap again. The customer service has been outstanding, not questions asked, replacements sent out fed-ex second day. I still think it is the best alternative for training/racing setup - you can train with it but don't have to incur the weight penalty in a race. Not so with others.

Yes, it has some bugs, but most things do. (hell, I even have a few:p )

Originally posted by SEJ
I still think it is the best alternative for training/racing setup - you can train with it but don't have to incur the weight penalty in a race.

IMO, the information gained from racing with a power meter far, far outweighs :D the tiny increase in mass incurred.

Definitely funny SEJ, can't live with it/can't live without it.... I am considering dealing with Powertap again myself after my problems with Ergomo! At least Powertap has good customer service.

The PM's even with their obvious flaws are so great to train with it's hard to go back to the HRM. The post was more for informational purposes so people go into a Powertap purchase with their eyes wide open and hopefully to encourage Graber to improve the product.

The Powertaps have very definite and well documented faults. But unless you have a couple grand to drop on an SRM what do you do?

Originally posted by acoggan
IMO, the information gained from racing with a power meter far, far outweighs :D the tiny increase in mass incurred.

Yeah, I know....

I believe I read somwhere that you can replace the PT hub axle with a Dura Ace and shave weight. Anyone know about that? I can pick up a Ti axle for a reasonable price, assuming I can get something compatable. Being one of those that constantly and neurotically tinkers with my bike, this is appealing in a disturbing kind of way.

I've been using ergomo for 6 months and I'm very happy with it. Im euro so the powertap wasn't an option(no customer service here), Polar wasn't either because I train indoors during the labor days. SRM was the best, sure, but it was by far the most expensive, so I bought an ergomo. After 4 months the sensors in the BB broke, I sent it to germany and 2 days later I had a refurbished BB, I also sent the computer because it had moisture inside (one ride with heavy rain), and they replaced it. I didn't pay an euro for it (just the shipping to germany).
These power meters have a very small market, so I think we must be conscious that we are helping future generations :) by buying them despite we know they have flaws, all of them have, even the SRM. So just be patient and look for a good customer service ;-)

That's exactly right. They are definitely imperfect. The problem with my Ergomo is the real repairs have to be done in Germany unlike Powertap and SRM. I can't wait to get it back and I'm disturbed with the series of problems after only two weeks of use!

I also measured the Ergomo bottom bracket spindle and it's WAY OFF SPEC. They say it is a 102 for Campy, but it's actually a 106. I had to readjust my front der and it caused my chain to drop all the time. It's not even close to Campy. I'm not sure if the Shimano is correct.

gonzalovilaseca said:
After 4 months the sensors in the BB broke

Campy or Shimano? Italian or English?

How was the unit acting when you realized it was broken?

Clay T.

claytid said:
Campy or Shimano? Italian or English?

How was the unit acting when you realized it was broken?

Clay T.
Sorry for the late answer I dindn't see it before...
Its Campagnolo, English.
I knew it was broken because it displayed speed, cadence but no watts.

I have owned an Ergomo for nearly one year, minus the 2 months Germany has had it for the recall. During the time I owned it I have had several problems. First the computer head would give me the wrong heart rate reading + - 80bmp. So I returned the head and received a new one. Next the watts went out to lunch, again I had the head replaced along with the bottom bracket. This seemed to work for a time but them the screen started to fade out making it impossible to read the watts. Then the recall and I still don't have it back. I feel kind of ripped off. I paid a good deal of money for the thing and it didn't last very long. Oh ya I didn’t like the offset on this unit. My coach told me to increase the offset # but how can I tell if it's right or not by doing this. Wouldn't you have to calibrate it??

Robert West said:
I have owned an Ergomo for nearly one year, minus the 2 months Germany has had it for the recall. During the time I owned it I have had several problems.

Sorry to hear about all of the problems. My sensor unit is currently in Germany having warranty work done. One day the unit worked fine, the next day I received no wattage readings at all.
Oh ya I didn’t like the offset on this unit. My coach told me to increase the offset # but how can I tell if it's right or not by doing this. Wouldn't you have to calibrate it??

What did you not like about the offset procedure?

And yes, it would seem that you'd have to check your Ergomo against another pm for accuracy if you were to change the offset number. I've heard of very, very experienced racers/pm users modifying this number. I'm not sure I'd change it unless I had different data from specific rides telling me my w's were incorrect.

Clay T.

As a follow up on my broken Ergomo, they did take back the unit and were good with processing a refund. We had some confusion at the end, but the bottom line is they took it back and were helpful.

For anyone else interested in a unit, they apparently have some sort of recall going right now. Not sure of the details.

Ian

PS I have a SRM professional right now after breaking several Powertaps and the ergomo. It works perfect everyday, rain or shine. Worth every penny to have a reliable powermeter!