Erie Canal

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by John Thurston, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Has anyone bicycled the Erie Canal in late May or early June? How is the weather and the crowds? Are
    the B&B's uncrowded? Thank you. John Thurston.

    Tags:

  2. John Thurston wrote:
    > Has anyone bicycled the Erie Canal in late May or early June? How is the weather and the crowds?
    > Are the B&B's uncrowded? Thank you. John Thurston.

    I biked it from Rochester to Lockport last June whilest going around Lake Ontario. Weather was great
    - it was a windy day but not along the canal path.

    Crowds? I saw one other cyclist, and he was just moseying along on a Huffy. Didn't stay at any B&Bs,
    but don't imagine they'd be much of a problem. There are some great little cafes in some of the
    small towns - usually near the lift bridges.

    Have fun.

  3. "John Thurston" <jthurston(remove to reply)@indra.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone bicycled the Erie Canal in late May or early June? How is the weather and the crowds?
    > Are the B&B's uncrowded? Thank you. John Thurston.

    I ride from Rome to Syracuse about once a month for training and it's rare that I see more than 4 or
    5 other bikes during the entire ride. Once in a while a jogger.

    Oriskany to Rome is a little busier - maybe up to 10 others on any given ride. Utica to Oriskany is
    about the same.

    J.P. Wing

  4. Me

    Me Guest

    i have ridden around Rochester... a few people.. a couple of bikes.. once in a while.. nice ride..
    "J.P. and Earl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:sog%[email protected]...

    > "John Thurston" <jthurston(remove to reply)@indra.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Has anyone bicycled the Erie Canal in late May or early June? How is
    the
    > > weather and the crowds? Are the B&B's uncrowded? Thank you. John Thurston.
    >
    > I ride from Rome to Syracuse about once a month for training and it's rare that I see more than 4
    > or 5 other bikes during the entire ride. Once in a while a jogger.
    >
    > Oriskany to Rome is a little busier - maybe up to 10 others on any given ride. Utica to Oriskany
    > is about the same.
    >
    > J.P. Wing

  5. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    While we're on this subject, I started planning a ride along the Canal last year and never followed
    through. I wanted to do a piece of it, then somehow get to the beginning of the Niagara Recreation
    Trail and continue to Niagara Falls.

    My big question has been: Is the northernmost part of the trail, perhaps the section between Palmyra
    and Lockport, worth a very long rail trip from NY City? I've done most of the Mohawk-Hudson Bikeway
    and got very bored very fast. I thought the scenery along the canal would keep this ride
    interesting, but, from what I understand, a good part of the Erie Canal Trail isn't even right on
    the canal.

    Any input?

    Thanks.
    --
    Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides

  6. Pete Hausner

    Pete Hausner Guest

    >My big question has been: Is the northernmost part of the trail, perhaps the section between
    >Palmyra and Lockport, worth a very long rail trip from NY City?

    Kinda pretty; kinda quaint. Canal towpath is a slow senic ride.

    Actually, some of the towns around Rochester are nice to visit...once the snow melts.

    PH

  7. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    >>>Kinda pretty; kinda quaint.
    Canal towpath is a slow senic ride.<<<<

    My problem is that, as much as I love the freedom and exhilaration of being out in the open air, I
    get a little impatient when my ride doesn't take me through some sort of town every once in a while.
    If I'm going to travel for a ride, I like to be able to interact with the locals wherever I go. On
    the Mohawk-Hudson, all I came in contact with were lots of grassy fields and rice paddies for mile
    after mile. Beautiful, but a few miles of that was enough.

    Are there lively towns between Palmyra and Lockport? Places to eat? Maybe a place to stay in
    Lockport if I can't get over the border that same day?

    --
    Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "Pete Hausner" <[email protected]>
    > >My big question has been: Is the northernmost part of the trail, perhaps the section between
    > >Palmyra and Lockport, worth a very long rail trip
    from
    > >NY City?
    >
    > Kinda pretty; kinda quaint. Canal towpath is a slow senic ride.
    >
    > Actually, some of the towns around Rochester are nice to visit...once the
    snow
    > melts.
    >
    > PH

  8. Ken Brown

    Ken Brown Guest

    Yes, there are towns. Other than Rochester, Brockport might be the largest. Can not say how lively
    it is, but the trail goes through the centre of town. Places such as Gasport and Middleport are
    quite small. Lockport is a large town and I am sure has a selection of motels.

    The trail does not go through the centre of Rochester. As I recall it is a pleasant ride past
    Rochester but nothing lively.

    Ken "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Are there lively towns between Palmyra and Lockport? Places to eat? Maybe a place to stay in
    >Lockport if I can't get over the border that same day?

  9. "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<RLu%[email protected]>...
    > Canal towpath is a slow senic ride.<<<<
    >
    > My problem is that, as much as I love the freedom and exhilaration of being out in the open air, I
    > get a little impatient when my ride doesn't take me through some sort of town every once in a
    > while. If I'm going to travel for a ride, I like to be able to interact with the locals wherever I
    > go. On the Mohawk-Hudson, all I came in contact with were lots of grassy fields and rice paddies
    > for mile after mile. Beautiful, but a few miles of that was enough.
    >
    > Are there lively towns between Palmyra and Lockport? Places to eat? Maybe a place to stay in
    > Lockport if I can't get over the border that same day?

    Lively? Well, Rochester's a little TOO lively for my taste. Once you're past there, it gets kind of
    subjective. Places with diners and B&Bs and such - yes. Nice looking little towns, in fact, and
    everyone I met in them seemed friendly enough. But I went from Rochester to Lockport in about 7
    hours, including several stops. I passed through Brockport, Albion, Medina, Middleport, and other
    places - you have to get up off the path and go over the bridge road in some of these places, which
    gives you a good excuse to go into town if you wish. Some have Rockwellian diners.

    Based on the relative size of Lockport, I'd imagine it has plenty of places to stay over in - Medina
    certainly did. There's a Best Western and a Comfort Inn, according to my notes. But I never planned
    to stay there, and went straight through, as I said.

    If you wish, read my condensed journal of that day here:
    http://members.rogers.com/bphuntley/alo/alo_page_10.htm

  10. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    Thanks for your informative and amusing trip log. When I mention "lively," I really just mean that
    every few miles or so, I want to pass through some towns with people in them. Wilderness is great
    for me in small doses, but I get bored after about half-an-hour to 45 minutes of it.

    I like the fact that there are diners, etc. And it's good to know that there are bathrooms along the
    way. I've had one or two too many experiences like yours!

    Thanks again!

    --
    Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "Brian Huntley"
    > "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<RLu%[email protected]>...
    > > Canal towpath is a slow senic ride.<<<<
    > >
    > > My problem is that, as much as I love the freedom and exhilaration of
    being
    > > out in the open air, I get a little impatient when my ride doesn't take
    me
    > > through some sort of town every once in a while. If I'm going to travel
    for
    > > a ride, I like to be able to interact with the locals wherever I go. On
    the
    > > Mohawk-Hudson, all I came in contact with were lots of grassy fields and rice paddies for mile
    > > after mile. Beautiful, but a few miles of that
    was
    > > enough.
    > >
    > > Are there lively towns between Palmyra and Lockport? Places to eat?
    Maybe
    > > a place to stay in Lockport if I can't get over the border that same
    day?

    > Lively? Well, Rochester's a little TOO lively for my taste. Once you're past there, it gets kind
    > of subjective. Places with diners and B&Bs and such - yes. Nice looking little towns, in fact, and
    > everyone I met in them seemed friendly enough. But I went from Rochester to Lockport in about 7
    > hours, including several stops. I passed through Brockport, Albion, Medina, Middleport, and other
    > places - you have to get up off the path and go over the bridge road in some of these places,
    > which gives you a good excuse to go into town if you wish. Some have Rockwellian diners.
    >
    > Based on the relative size of Lockport, I'd imagine it has plenty of places to stay over in -
    > Medina certainly did. There's a Best Western and a Comfort Inn, according to my notes. But I never
    > planned to stay there, and went straight through, as I said.
    >
    > If you wish, read my condensed journal of that day here:
    > http://members.rogers.com/bphuntley/alo/alo_page_10.htm

  11. Ken Roberts

    Ken Roberts Guest

    I own a copy of Cycling Along the Canals of New York, by Louis Rossi (Vitesse Press, 1999), ISBN
    0-941950-35-2. You can also buy it thru standard Web booksellers.

    Lots of photos, clearly drawn maps. Not just the Erie Canal, but also Champlain, Cayuga-Seneca,
    Oswego canals. Oddly, Sharon and I haven't been much into riding canals (yet), so I have not
    actually ridden anything in the book. But any place I sample a paragraph in there it seems clearly
    written and helpful.

    Louis - How about setting up a website of updates for the book? Even easier would be to set up a
    public discussion group on riding the Erie Canal, for people (especially you) to post reports and
    updates and stories. People would still want to buy your book for its wealth of information -- you'd
    just be adding value to it.

    Ken

  12. Danw

    Danw Guest

    In article <DdF%[email protected]>, "NYRides"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Thanks for your informative and amusing trip log. When I mention "lively," I really just mean that
    >every few miles or so, I want to pass through some towns with people in them. Wilderness is great
    >for me in small doses, but I get bored after about half-an-hour to 45 minutes of it.
    >
    >I like the fact that there are diners, etc. And it's good to know that there are bathrooms along
    >the way. I've had one or two too many experiences like yours!
    >
    >Thanks again!

    I live 1 town north of Palmyra and am a rider. As you head west, you go thru Macedon,
    Fairport,Bushnel's Basin, Pittsford, Henreitta Brighton and then into Rochester. Until you get near
    Fairport the trail is mostly gravel. After that most but not all is paved. Once you reach Fairport,
    the trail travels thru the towns. In Bushnel's Basin you have to get off the trail and cross the 1
    lane bridge to get to "civilization". Schoen Place in Pittsford is filled with shops and eateries.
    After that, the trail is off the beaten path with a few nice parks at the locks. The trail then
    passes thru Genesee Valley Park and then follows the canal thru an industilized area. I haven't done
    much riding on the west side, so from there on, you'll need someone elses help. There are 2 main
    bicycling groups here, RBC and the Hugger's Ski Club's Pedal Power. I am the founder of the later.

    _ (_) Daniel Warren, RPh _______// Marion NY (________) Clinical Pharmacist \ /
    [email protected]
    | Rx |
    /______\
    (________)

  13. Zwieback

    Zwieback Guest

    On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 22:37:38 GMT, [email protected] (DanW) from Road Runner wrote:

    > _ (_) Daniel Warren, RPh _______// Marion NY (________) Clinical Pharmacist \ /
    > [email protected]
    > | Rx |
    > /______\
    > (________)

    Hey, doc. Can you get us some of the good stuff? I'll have whatever Fabrizzio is cycling on this
    year. And I don't mean bicycling.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I think I'll KILL myself by leaping out of
    this 14th STORY WINDOW while reading ERICA JONG'S poetry!!

  14. Danw

    Danw Guest

    In article <RLu%[email protected]>, "NYRides"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Canal towpath is a slow senic ride.<<<<

    >Are there lively towns between Palmyra and Lockport? Places to eat? Maybe a place to stay in
    >Lockport if I can't get over the border that same day?

    I posted this last week. I live 1 town north of Palmyra and am a rider. As you head west, you go