ERRR there goes the morning

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., May 28, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    emergency road rash report...

    my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes with
    on the way to work, I get a call at 8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a
    look at this....he hit a patch of gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old
    had been telling me for 20 minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold
    and windy ( 58 and 5 mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real
    opportunity to make it a no choicer for him..

    Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he is
    in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection by mom
    shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps and a lot ground in dirt. This may be beyond my first aid
    skills.... off to the urgent care. The only thing they have there that I didn't have is really good
    micro tweezers for getting the grit out from under the edges, and that cool lidocaine cream to numb
    the whole are do you can reef on it.

    the knee ouch, a good chunk out of the knee cap. Upper thigh and butt just skinned, wrist to forearm
    skinned with parallel gouged out areas and skinned up to the armpit. He's so great tho>>> great
    attitude, never flinched, They updated the tetanus, prescribed and antibiotic ( overkill?) and sent
    us on our way. The other riders say good thing he had his helmet. Oh I I sweet talked the nurse into
    giving me the rest of the tube of lidocain for future use.

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 12:06:24 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    > emergency road rash report...

    Ouch. Gravel is the devil's stew for bikes. Hope he recovers quick; at least the damage was only
    skin-deep.

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > emergency road rash report...
    >
    > my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes with
    > on the way to work, I get a call at 8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a
    > look at this....he hit a patch of gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old
    > had been telling me for 20 minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold
    > and windy ( 58 and 5 mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real
    > opportunity to make it a no choicer for him..
    >
    > Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he
    > is in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection by
    > mom shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps and a lot ground in dirt. This may be beyond my first aid
    > skills.... off to the urgent care. The only thing they have there that I didn't have is really
    > good micro tweezers for getting the grit out from under the edges, and that cool lidocaine cream
    > to numb the whole are do you can reef on it.
    >
    > the knee ouch, a good chunk out of the knee cap. Upper thigh and butt just skinned, wrist to
    > forearm skinned with parallel gouged out areas and skinned up to the armpit. He's so great tho>>>
    > great attitude, never flinched, They updated the tetanus, prescribed and antibiotic ( overkill?)
    > and sent us on our way. The other riders say good thing he had his helmet. Oh I I sweet talked the
    > nurse into giving me the rest of the tube of lidocain for future use.
    >

    > Penny

    OUCH!!!

    I wouldn't think an antibiotic would be overkill by the sounds of it (always sounds worse in text
    than in real life). a large area infection is not a good thing. my aunt just got out of the hospital
    from what started as a mild infection (got into blood steam).

    Pretty clever of you to sweet talk the nurse. ;-)

    Ahh well, he will no doubt get loads of fame at school for his injury. kids (and some adults ;-)
    take great pride in a gory looking injury when showing it off to friends.
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > On Wed, 28 May 2003 12:06:24 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    > > emergency road rash report...
    >
    > Ouch. Gravel is the devil's stew for bikes. Hope he recovers quick; at least the damage was only
    > skin-deep.

    "the knee ouch, a good chunk out of the knee cap." not exactly skin deep.
    --
    ~Travis

  5. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > emergency road rash report...
    >
    > my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes with
    > on the way to work, I get a call at 8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a
    > look at this....he hit a patch of gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old
    > had been telling me for 20 minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold
    > and windy ( 58 and 5 mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real
    > opportunity to make it a no choicer for him..
    >
    > Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he
    > is in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection by
    > mom shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps and a lot ground in dirt. This may be beyond my first aid
    > skills.... off to the urgent care. The only thing they have there that I didn't have is really
    > good micro tweezers for getting the grit out from under the edges, and that cool lidocaine cream
    > to numb the whole are do you can reef on it.

    Oh, ow. I hate cleaning under flaps. I've used chloraseptic throat spray or viscous lidocaine (left
    over from my son's tonsil surgery) in a pinch. Helps numb it up a little so you can do what needs
    to be done.

    > the knee ouch, a good chunk out of the knee cap. Upper thigh and butt just skinned, wrist to
    > forearm skinned with parallel gouged out areas and skinned up to the armpit. He's so great tho>>>
    > great attitude, never flinched, They updated the tetanus, prescribed and antibiotic ( overkill?)
    > and sent us on our way. The other riders say good thing he had his helmet. Oh I I sweet talked the
    > nurse into giving me the rest of the tube of lidocain for future use.

    I don't think the antibiotics are overkill. The large areas of scrapes are bad enough, let alone the
    parts with chunks out (especially over a joint).

    Kathleen

  6. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 12:06:24 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

    > emergency road rash report...

    > Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he
    > is in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection by
    > mom shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps

    WHOA that's where I stop reading. Don't think I want to know what an avulsion flap is, though I'm
    guessing anything that's flapping around post-accidente that wasn't before is a bad thing.

    Hope he heals quickly.

    gabrielle

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 28 May 2003 12:06:24 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    >
    > > emergency road rash report...
    >
    > > Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he
    > > is in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection
    > > by mom shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps
    >
    > WHOA that's where I stop reading. Don't think I want to know what an avulsion flap is, though I'm
    > guessing anything that's flapping around post-accidente that wasn't before is a bad thing.
    >
    > Hope he heals quickly.
    >
    > gabrielle

    avulsion flap, AKA meat puppet ;^)

    Mike - Look I can make it talk!

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Kathleen thoughtfully penned:

    > Oh, ow. I hate cleaning under flaps. I've used chloraseptic throat spray or viscous lidocaine
    > (left over from my son's tonsil surgery) in a pinch. Helps numb it up a little so you can do what
    > needs to be done.

    where can you get the lidocaine, I was told it was prescription only...

    penny

  9. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > Kathleen thoughtfully penned:
    >
    >>Oh, ow. I hate cleaning under flaps. I've used chloraseptic throat spray or viscous lidocaine
    >>(left over from my son's tonsil surgery) in a pinch. Helps numb it up a little so you can do what
    >>needs to be done.
    >>

    > where can you get the lidocaine, I was told it was prescription only...

    It is prescription only. It was left over after my son had his tonsils burned out.

    Kathleen

  10. Glenn Dowdy

    Glenn Dowdy Guest

    > emergency road rash report...
    >
    > my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes with
    > on the way to work, I get a call at 8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a
    > look at this....he hit
    > patch of gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old had been telling me for
    > 20 minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold and windy ( 58 and 5
    > mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real opportunity to make it a no
    > choicer for him..

    What hill?

    Glenn D.

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Glenn Dowdy thoughtfully penned:
    >> emergency road rash report...
    >>
    >> my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes
    >> with on the way to work, I get a call at
    >> 8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a look at this....he hit a patch of
    >> gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old had been telling me for 20
    >> minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold and windy ( 58 and 5
    >> mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real opportunity to make it a
    >> no choicer for him..
    >>
    > What hill?
    >
    > Glenn D.

    General area is from Moran Prairie area to the old Libby Middle School off of Sprague. They work
    their way down in-between Havana and Freya sts. staying on as many of the unpaved "back" roads as
    possible. I live 2 miles from Ferris HS.

    Penny