ESPN goodtalk

John Forrest Tomlinson

Guest
Nothing new, but refreshing to see in the mainstream US media:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070731

"...For now, let's stick to the American hypocrisy of lambasting a
sport and a country for doing far more to clean up sports than we do.

What Americans would never, ever want to do is what cycling officials
did. We would never want to let a band of doping experts loose on
American athletes. We are far too comfortable being entertained by
dirty athletes to want to see any real cleansing take place..."
--
JT
****************************

In article
<[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Nothing new, but refreshing to see in the mainstream US media:
>
> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070731
>
> "...For now, let's stick to the American hypocrisy of lambasting a
> sport and a country for doing far more to clean up sports than we do.
>
> What Americans would never, ever want to do is what cycling officials
> did. We would never want to let a band of doping experts loose on
> American athletes. We are far too comfortable being entertained by
> dirty athletes to want to see any real cleansing take place..."

I agree except for saying "dirty athletes."
No matter how much dope an athlete or anybody takes
I do not see it as dirty. I think some of it is misguided.

--
Michael Press

On Aug 3, 12:50 am, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
>
> wrote:
> > Nothing new, but refreshing to see in the mainstream US media:

> >http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070731

> > "...For now, let's stick to the American hypocrisy of lambasting a
> > sport and a country for doing far more to clean up sports than we do.

> > What Americans would never, ever want to do is what cycling officials
> > did. We would never want to let a band of doping experts loose on
> > American athletes. We are far too comfortable being entertained by
> > dirty athletes to want to see any real cleansing take place..."

> I agree except for saying "dirty athletes."
> No matter how much dope an athlete or anybody takes
> I do not see it as dirty. I think some of it is misguided.
>
> --
> Michael Press

Prior to cycling I participated in a sport in which many athletes I
knew and played with were taking drugs. Nothing misguided or mistaken
about it; all very calculated and minutely planned out. The athletes
all came to believe they could not play well if they did not dope and
they came to this "dependency" all on their own with no coaches or
trainers or others prompting/suggesting.

billb wrote:
> Prior to cycling I participated in a sport in which many athletes I
> knew and played with were taking drugs. Nothing misguided or mistaken
> about it; all very calculated and minutely planned out. The athletes
> all came to believe they could not play well if they did not dope and
> they came to this "dependency" all on their own with no coaches or
> trainers or others prompting/suggesting.

What sport, chess? Or mathematics?

--
E. Dronkert

In article
<[email protected]>,
billb <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 12:50 am, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Nothing new, but refreshing to see in the mainstream US media:

> > >http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070731

> > > "...For now, let's stick to the American hypocrisy of lambasting a
> > > sport and a country for doing far more to clean up sports than we do.

> > > What Americans would never, ever want to do is what cycling officials
> > > did. We would never want to let a band of doping experts loose on
> > > American athletes. We are far too comfortable being entertained by
> > > dirty athletes to want to see any real cleansing take place..."

> > I agree except for saying "dirty athletes."
> > No matter how much dope an athlete or anybody takes
> > I do not see it as dirty. I think some of it is misguided.

> Prior to cycling I participated in a sport in which many athletes I
> knew and played with were taking drugs. Nothing misguided or mistaken
> about it; all very calculated and minutely planned out. The athletes
> all came to believe they could not play well if they did not dope and
> they came to this "dependency" all on their own with no coaches or
> trainers or others prompting/suggesting.

I included everyone, not just athletes. And rather than
misguided, let me say that some people show poor
judgment in their choice and use of drugs.

--
Michael Press

There were a couple of letters to the editor in USA today on August 2 that
echoed the same point in a very articulate way, stating that the NFL, NBA,
etc. would not dare do what cycling is doing because of the money and
sponsors in those sports. It is nice to see that in the mainstream press.