Essential Bike Repair Tools

I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
you in advance for the advice!
-Kev

On Feb 23, 7:22 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
> bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
> of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
> where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
> this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
> you in advance for the advice!
> -Kev

A Surly Jethro Tule.

JD

Per [email protected]:
>I have absolutely no tools.

For starters,

- A Palm driver
- Some metric sockets: 15mm for sure
- Allen keys: 4mm, 5mm, & 6mm
- A torque wrench
--
PeteCresswell

On Feb 24, 10:22 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
> bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
> of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
> where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
> this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
> you in advance for the advice!
> -Kev

A bicycle repair book.

"CowPunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Feb 24, 10:22 am, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
>> bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
>> of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
>> where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
>> this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
>> you in advance for the advice!
>> -Kev

> A bicycle repair book.

Zinn and the Art of MTB Maintenance, and the Park Website are all you need.

Park tools actually has a kit with most of the tools needed to maintain your
bike. I think it is about 50 bucks....You will also need a stand which are
around 100 bucks....

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "CowPunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Feb 24, 10:22 am, "[email protected]"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
>>> bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
>>> of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
>>> where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
>>> this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
>>> you in advance for the advice!
>>> -Kev

>> A bicycle repair book.
>>

> Zinn and the Art of MTB Maintenance, and the Park Website are all you
> need.

>I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
>bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
>of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
>where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
>this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
>you in advance for the advice!

Your best tool:

www.sheldonbrown.com

There are some pretty nice "combo tool packs" available from several
manufacturers - they contain all the "normal stuff" you'll need to do
most of your own maintenance. You'll save a lot of money over buying
all the tools in a "kit" to start with. Go with something basic to
start with then start adding the tools you'll need to do the "odd
stuff" (like removing your bottom bracket or pressing in a headset).
Then one day you'll realize you've spent more on tools than on your
Stumpjumper (and that'll seem like a good thing if you're enjoying
working on your own bike).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Neil Kinsley wrote:
> Park tools actually has a kit with most of the tools needed to maintain your
> bike. I think it is about 50 bucks....You will also need a stand which are
> around 100 bucks....

Interesting. No stand here and I've been working on my own bikes for 39
years.

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

very true you don't have to have one but like any other tool they sure make
life easier....Neil

On Feb 24, 4:53 am, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> - A torque wrench

He said essential, you're kidding, right?

JD never owned a torque wrench

On Feb 24, 4:59 pm, "Neil Kinsley" <[email protected]> top posted:
> very true you don't have to have one but like any other tool they sure make
> life easier....Neil

Yeah, I carry one in my pack and it's fantastic!

Unlike GT, I have a stand, but only use it when doing an overhaul or
something that will require more than a day of wrenching. It's just a
place to leave the bike as is.

The only reason I even have a stand is because my brother bought me
one. It's far from being an essential tool for bicycle repair.

This thread is getting funnier by the post.

JD wrenching on bikes since 1968

On Feb 24, 8:17 am, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
> Your best tool:
>
> www.sheldonbrown.com

Yabbut, Sheldon's not a tool.

> There are some pretty nice "combo tool packs" available from several
> manufacturers - they contain all the "normal stuff" you'll need to do
> most of your own maintenance. You'll save a lot of money over buying
> all the tools in a "kit" to start with.

Just don't buy no-name cheap junk tool kits from those idiots at
Performance or Nashbar. Buy Park or Wrench Force (aka Snap On). If
you buy individual tools that are basic stuff like hex or combo
wrenches, Craftsman has worked well for me too.

JD

On Feb 23, 10:22 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
> bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
> of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
> where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
> this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
> you in advance for the advice!
> -Kev

Tools and a lot of time and your make it.

On Feb 25, 3:13 am, "Crazy Fred" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 10:22 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
> > bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
> > of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
> > where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
> > this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
> > you in advance for the advice!
> > -Kev

> Tools and a lot of time and your make it.

Fred, do you like barleywine?

JD diggin' barleywine

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Feb 24, 4:53 am, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> - A torque wrench

>He said essential, you're kidding, right?

It's more necessary for the new roadie kit. Most MTB stuff is
necessarily tougher because - well, it's used on a MTB. But the trend
in road bike components is to make 'em out of carbon fiber, which can
be crushed if you torque down the stem bolts (for example) too
tightly. Or worse, over-tighten the front derailleur clamp on a
carbon fiber bike and you can crush the seat tube.

Still, with all the other uses for a torque wrench, and the low cost
of decent versions for as little as $20, I'd put it in the "not
necessary but nice to have" category.

Mark "last used mine to torque rod bolts on my Alfa" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

<[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm not mechanically inclined and want to start working on my own
> bike. I just bought a new stumpjumper and would like to maintain most
> of it on my own. I have absolutely no tools. Can anybody help me in
> where to get started? I know Park Tools has a 'Repair Guide'... is
> this what you would use? Consider me at ground zero here, folks. Thank
> you in advance for the advice!
> -Kev

Spoke wrench & derailleur hanger, (that fits your bike) Chain tool,
allen keys, (hex wrenches) pump, patch kit, spare tube, first aid kit,
duct tape, tire levers and $10.00 in cash should all be in your pack
right now.

As your bicycle wares, components like your casset (rear cog set)
and bottem bracket will need to be replaced, at those times just buy
the special tools you know you'll need when you buy replacement parts.
They may recomend you buy a 'chain whip' for removing your casset, I
just use my large channel locks and the casset tool.

Other tools that I keep in my Bicycle tool kit at home include cable
cutters, pliers, channel locks, screw drivers, cressent wrench, peddle
wrench, crank puller, shock pump, chain oil, teflon lube and plastic
zip ties.