Etape du Tour - The Hairy Legged Version

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave Barter, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Dave Barter

    Dave Barter Guest

    Dear UK.REC.CYCLERS

    I completed the Etape this year after many years of mountain biking. The Etape was my first serious
    road race and you can read my account at:-

    http://www.phased.co.uk/etape.html

    I hope my report gives a "different" view of the Etape..coming from one with hairy legs and a muddy
    disposition

    I rode the Etape in aid of the RUSS Appeal at http://www.russ-appeal.org.uk If you like it, why not
    sign up for our event to be held AUGUST 17th in Chekendon to raise cash for the Air Ambulance

    Tags:

  2. In message <[email protected]>, Dave Barter <[email protected]?.co.uk.invalid> writes
    >Dear UK.REC.CYCLERS
    >
    >I completed the Etape this year after many years of mountain biking. The Etape was my first serious
    >road race and you can read my account at:-
    >
    >http://www.phased.co.uk/etape.html
    >
    >I hope my report gives a "different" view of the Etape..coming from one with hairy legs and a muddy
    >disposition
    >
    >I rode the Etape in aid of the RUSS Appeal at http://www.russ-appeal.org.uk If you like it, why not
    >sign up for our event to be held AUGUST 17th in Chekendon to raise cash for the Air Ambulance

    Excellent article, Dave. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Thank you.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk

  3. Graham

    Graham Guest

  4. andywgg

    andywgg New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Great article, Dave - just a couple of questiomns;

    Honestly, how fit are you? How much cycling do you normally do, and how much did you step it up for your training? And how much on road did you do?

    Finally, what gearing did you use? I'm a believer in triples meself (live in the Dales and am very, very fat) but wondered what size rings you had/

    Cheers - and well done!

  5. Good article fella. Well done on the writing & on the ride.

    If I can afford a road bike by next summer, I'd really like to do the Etape. See you there, maybe?
    I'll be the other one with hairy legs.

    "Dave Barter phased.co.uk>" <[email protected]<Nooooo spaaammm> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dear UK.REC.CYCLERS
    >
    > I completed the Etape this year after many years of mountain biking. The Etape was my first
    > serious road race and you can read my account at:-
    >
    > http://www.phased.co.uk/etape.html

  6. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    > Dear UK.REC.CYCLERS
    >
    > I completed the Etape this year after many years of mountain biking. The Etape was my first
    > serious road race and you can read my account at:-
    >
    > http://www.phased.co.uk/etape.html

    Great report. Well done on the result *and* the write up.

    Cheers.

    Tim
    --
    Time for a new sig.

  7. Chris Bardell wrote:

    > If I can afford a road bike by next summer, I'd really like to do the Etape. See you there, maybe?
    > I'll be the other one with hairy legs.

    I wish they'd do a flatter stage. Just once. Then even *I* might bring my hairy knees out to play...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I wish they'd do a flatter stage. Just once. Then even *I* might bring my hairy knees out
    : to play...

    But it's the fact that it's in the mountains that makes it special.

    They do (about one year in 3 - 4) do a stage in the "moyenn" moutains like the Massif Central. These
    stages are necessarily easier mind since they can have a lot of up and down in them and even the
    "moyenn" mountains are much bigger than anything in the uk.

    Arthur

  9. Dave Barter

    Dave Barter Guest

    On 8 Aug 2003 00:53:51 +0950, andywgg <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Great article, Dave - just a couple of questiomns;
    >
    >Honestly, how fit are you? How much cycling do you normally do, and how much did you step it up for
    >your training? And how much on road did you do?

    Pretty fit. I do 100-150 miles per week and average 16-18mph over hilly terrain (Wiltshire downs). I
    did my first ever club 10 yesterday and timed at 26.41 which I believe is reasonably fast. In
    hindsight I could have completed the climbs in the Etape faster and got a better time .. next year

    >Finally, what gearing did you use? I'm a believer in triples meself (live in the Dales and am very,
    >very fat) but wondered what size rings you had/
    >
    >Cheers - and well done!

    Front 52/42/30 Rear 11-25

    Glad you enjoyed it Dave