Ethical concerns of ergogenic aids

Orange Fish

Dec 2, 2004
1. Is it acceptable for athletes to use any means available, including ergogenic substances, in order to gain the competitive edge?

2. is it ethical to use nutritional products that are not banned or illegal?

3. Should a nutritional product be banned or its intake limited if it is found to enhance performance?

My opinion that as long as the aide is not banned from an organization than find what works.

Wasn't it before the last summer olympic games that there was some crying from some individuals about a skin suit that supposedly would help the performance of swimmers?

Supposedly those who had the suit were at an advantage. There were many swimmers who wore the traditional suits and still won over some who were wearing this new skin suit from Nike. Also suits for speed skating as shown here http://www.msnbc.com/news/693675.asp?cp1=1

Whether it is nutritional supplements, clothing or any other means I think athletes and coaches are searching for the advantage in performance or to gain that edge, but there seems to be those genetically gifted that have risen above and can perform above nearly everyone despite the aides.

However, when you take that driven athlete that has very close competition, but now become obsessed with winning there may be a chance that the person or the coach may cross that ethical line and introduce banned substances in order to gain the edge. That's is when things go wrong.

I competed in a sport for 10 that allowed the use of steroids. I used steroids for over 10 years just to compete at that level. It was just part of the game and if you didn't play the game you didn't have a chance to break the top 10, but I must include that this was an event where it was silently encouraged to the competitors, but denouced to the public. Because almost everyone was using steroids the playing ground became even again except for those who refused to use and they had very little chance at all to win. However, to knowingly compete in a sport that clearly defines banned substances I believe it absolutely wrong for a competitor to use medical drugs to gain the edge over the population of athletes that are obeying the rules.

I find the whole subject of sports psychology a very interesting subject and my thoughts listed above are purely my personal opinion toward unbanned nutritional supplements. Which in most cases do not gain that much benefit toward an athlete.

Being that I have used real steroids and have also tried supplements called prohormones like 1-AD which are marketed to have similar results as steroids is an absolute joke in my opinion. I have tried these products in personal test and found absolutely no gain or enhanced performance from them. When you get on a real dose of an anabolic steroids you'll know the difference very quickly. It actually makes me mad that the nutritional market can make such worthless claims and scam so many people, but it has been going on for years.

Sure it's unethical to take drugs, steroids, hormones etc. but as Felt_Raider said it' just a part of the game in professional sport. :(
I think that all substances that are NOT banned (on dopping list) are ethical to take, although there are some limits like with anything.
I can't see why a nutritional product should be banned or its intake limited if it is found to enhance performance, then you should ban everything you eat and drink (includign pasta and beer:)