ethical or not?

gt3413

Apr 28, 2006
Is riding on a hiking trail ethical? The sign at the trail head says "No horses - No motorcycles". It does not say bicycles are prohibited. Should I be riding it or not? It has a lot of decent sized rocks that can get the best of you if you aren't paying attention. There are also quite a few trees that have fallen across the trail (not been moved there to prevent riding). I would really like to clean the trail up but want to find out some opinions on whether or not I should be riding it. If it matters, its a trail that runs from a roadside stop at Lake Tenkiller (Oklahoma) to an area that overlooks the lake. Thanks, Greg

If it doesn't say bikes prohibited, I would ride the trail, myself. Hikers usually don't mind a few bikers. If the trail doesn't get too crowded with bikes, hikers don't mind. However, I would walk the bike past any hikers until I got to know a few of them that frequent the trail. Since you are even asking this question in the first place, you have some manners. Just use 'em with the hikers. They won't mind you, at all.

In this day and age if they didn't want bikers on it then it would be clearly posted " no bikes". I would ride it but yeild to the hikers,be polite and always try to make the trail better then before you arrived.

Just remember that pedestrians have right of way, Always! If that rule is followed there should be no problem!

Use it while theres STILL no sign prohibeting the use by cyclists,i'm sure they'll emend it soon.Unfortunattly some cyclists will spoil it for all and ramp over some little old dear and her Spaniel.

HowardSteele said:
Use it while theres STILL no sign prohibeting the use by cyclists,i'm sure they'll emend it soon.Unfortunattly some cyclists will spoil it for all and ramp over some little old dear and her Spaniel.
Advice for you : SSRI, why so negative?;)

We've had some of our trails, closed to cyclists after years of use by all.

It seems some cyclists just can't behave. It was done after signs were posted explaining and requesting cycling etiquet. You would think some sort of surveillance might have singled out the culprits, but it’s easier just to ban all cyclists from using the footpaths.

some of our best XC bike trails are the hiking trails, the "official" policy is that biking is neither encouraged nor discouraged, they just ask that everyone stay on the trails and not bug the deer.

Most of the trails are mixed use, bike, hike, and XC ski & snowshoe in the winter as well...my home trail is about 500km long, and connects to other trails...everone seem to get along well, problems come up only with ATV's and dirtbikes

nice trail:

http://www.ganaraska-hiking-trail.ca/

some pics

I'd agree that you seem to be considerate, so it should be fine - troubles usually only arise with the arrogant riders who mow past/through walkers/hikers, OR from the walkers/hikers who perceive every rider as an inconsiderate lout.... and there are many with that mindset unfortunately.

But what can ya do... nothing, except ride on and enjoy your day :)