Ethiopian Dessert?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Smithfarms Pure, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes? I am supposed
    to make one for our dinner club but can't seem to find any
    dessert recipes even with GOOGLE's help.

    TIA!

    aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers
    of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

    Tags:

  2. smithfarms pure kona wrote:
    > Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes? I am
    > supposed to make one for our dinner club but can't seem to
    > find any dessert recipes even with GOOGLE's help.

    I find this via Google: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_St-
    udies/Cookbook/Ethiopia.html

    Good luck, --Charlene

    --
    It would be better not know so many things than to know so
    many things that are not so. -- Felix Okoye

    --

    email perronnelle at earthlink . net

  3. Stocksrus®

    Stocksrus® Guest

    smithfarms pure kona <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes? I am
    > supposed to make one for our dinner club but can't seem to
    > find any dessert recipes even with GOOGLE's help.
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers
    > of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

    Sand?

    --
    StocksRus®

  4. Stocksrus®

    Stocksrus® Guest

    smithfarms pure kona <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes? I am
    > supposed to make one for our dinner club but can't seem to
    > find any dessert recipes even with GOOGLE's help.
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers
    > of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

    Sand?

    --
    StocksRus®

  5. Stocksrus®

    Stocksrus® Guest

    smithfarms pure kona <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes? I am
    > supposed to make one for our dinner club but can't seem to
    > find any dessert recipes even with GOOGLE's help.
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers
    > of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

    Sand?

    --
    StocksRus®

  6. On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 02:32:00 GMT, Charlene Charette
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >smithfarms pure kona wrote:
    >> Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes? I am
    >> supposed to
    make
    >> one for our dinner club but can't seem to find any
    >> dessert recipes even with GOOGLE's help.
    >
    >I find this via Google: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_S-
    >tudies/Cookbook/Ethiopia.html
    >
    >Good luck, --Charlene
    >
    >--
    >It would be better not know so many things than to
    >know so many
    things
    >that are not so. -- Felix Okoye

    I found that myself and there were no dessert recipes. I am
    not doing a sweet coffee which was the only other Ethiopian
    dessert idea in the great GOOGLE search.

    I know why Ethiopian people look so lean:). They do not
    succumb to dessert as I do. aloha, Thunder

    http://www.smithfarms.com
    Farmers & Sellers of 100%
    Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

  7. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:55:28 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 02:32:00 GMT, Charlene Charette
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>smithfarms pure kona wrote:

    >>> Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes?
    >>
    >>I find this via Google: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_-
    >>Studies/Cookbook/Ethiopia.html
    >>

    >I found that myself and there were no dessert recipes.

    But there *was* mention of fruit and Dabo Kolo
    cookies/crackers for 'desert.' If they don't eat desert,
    they don't have many desert recipes. It may not be very
    exotic to offer pineapple and mango in Hawaii, but those are
    also grown in Ethiopia, as well as citrus of various sorts.

    http://www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/ys/cooking/DaboKolo.htm

    Unfortunately, the recipe isn't on the web site, but Jamie
    Oliver made a pretty exotic fruit salad (pineapple, kiwi,
    star fruit, mango, passion fruit, papaya, and a couple other
    things) 'dressed' with a light sugar syrup in which vanilla
    and (bruised) lemongrass had been infused. He made the syrup
    with equal parts of water and white sugar, and poured it
    over the salad when it was thoroughly cool. He claimed that
    this mixture could be stored in the 'fridge for 2-3 days.

  8. On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:55:57 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:55:28 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 02:32:00 GMT, Charlene Charette
    >><[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>I find this via Google: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African-
    >>>_Studies/Cookbook/Ethiopia.html
    >>>

    >>I found that myself and there were no dessert recipes.
    >
    >But there *was* mention of fruit and Dabo Kolo
    >cookies/crackers for 'desert.' If they don't eat
    >desert, they don't have many desert recipes. It may not
    >be very exotic to offer pineapple and mango in Hawaii,
    >but those are also grown in Ethiopia, as well as citrus
    >of various sorts.
    >
    >http://www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/ys/cooking/DaboKolo.htm
    >
    >Unfortunately, the recipe isn't on the web site, but
    >Jamie Oliver
    made
    >a pretty exotic fruit salad (pineapple, kiwi, star fruit,
    >mango, passion fruit, papaya, and a couple other things)
    >'dressed' with a light sugar syrup in which vanilla and
    >(bruised) lemongrass had been infused. He made the syrup
    >with equal parts of water and white sugar, and poured it
    >over the salad when it was thoroughly cool. He claimed that
    >this mixture could be stored in the 'fridge for 2-3 days.

    That sounds beautiful and so tasty! Was Jamie Oliver's an
    Ethiopian dessert? Our group is pretty full of intergrity
    vis a vis the authenticate food.

    Thank you again. aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com
    Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

  9. Bubbabob

    Bubbabob Guest

    smithfarms pure kona <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes? I am
    > supposed to make one for our dinner club but can't seem to
    > find any dessert recipes even with GOOGLE's help.

    Desert just isn't a part of Ethiopian cuisine. All of the
    Ethiopians in my extended family drink freshly ground and
    brewed Harar or Yrgacheffe at the end of a traditional
    meal. No substituting Kona here, Ethiopians dislike non-
    Ethiopian coffees.

    Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
    Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  10. On 8 Mar 2004 16:34:32 -0600, Bubbabob
    <[email protected]_remove_this_comcast.net> wrote:

    >smithfarms pure kona <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes? I am
    >> supposed to
    make
    >> one for our dinner club but can't seem to find any
    >> dessert recipes even with GOOGLE's help.
    >>

    >Desert just isn't a part of Ethiopian cuisine. All of the
    >Ethiopians
    in my
    >extended family drink freshly ground and brewed Harar or
    >Yrgacheffe
    at the
    >end of a traditional meal. No substituting Kona here,
    >Ethiopians
    dislike
    >non-Ethiopian coffees.

    Thanks but our group is too laid back to even think coffee
    with dinner
    <g>. We are authenticate on most everything but we are
    mainly farmers who go to bed early (dinner club is
    from 5 pm-about 9:30) and then we are all up at 5 the
    next morning, so coffee is not our drink of choice no
    matter what:).

    Thank you for your information though!!! We are learning so
    much about Ethiopia. aloha, Thunder
    http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona
    Coffee & other Great Stuff

  11. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:47:07 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:55:57 GMT, Frogleg
    ><[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Unfortunately, the recipe isn't on the web site, but
    >>Jamie Oliver
    >made
    >>a pretty exotic fruit salad (pineapple, kiwi, star
    >>fruit, mango, passion fruit, papaya, and a couple other
    >>things) 'dressed' with a light sugar syrup in which
    >>vanilla and (bruised) lemongrass had been infused. He
    >>made the syrup with equal parts of water and white
    >>sugar, and poured it over the salad when it was
    >>thoroughly cool. He claimed that this mixture could be
    >>stored in the 'fridge for 2-3 days.
    >
    >That sounds beautiful and so tasty! Was Jamie Oliver's an
    >Ethiopian dessert? Our group is pretty full of intergrity
    >vis a vis the authenticate food.

    Alas, no. It had to do with a dinner for a Mauritian.
    However, Ethiopia *does* grow "Avocados, Grapefruit, Guava,
    Lemon, Lime, Mangoes, Melons, Oranges, Papayas, Pineapples,
    Soft Citrus." bananas, and strawberries. I was struck by how
    Hawaiian the list was. If authenticity is required, seems
    like a couple of wedges of fruit and those crackers is
    what's called for. If only authentic *ingredients*, a combo
    with the syrup (lemon peel substituted for lemon grass --
    they *do* grow vanilla) would work. If inspiration is
    allowed, a scoop of citrus ice and one of coffee ice with
    the crackers alongside suggests itself.

  12. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    I lived there in 1974. Here are a couple from Sandy
    Lesberg's The Art of African Cooking, Dell 1971

    Pineapple Fritters

    1 Pineapple, sliced 2 T sugar 5 oz flour 1 egg, separated
    pinch salt
    1/2 cup pineapple juice
    2/2 cup milk (or beer) 1 T butter oil for frying
    powdered sugar

    Macerate the sliced pineapple with the sugar for 2 hours.
    Mix the flour, egg yolk, salt, pineapple juice, milk (or
    beer), and butter into a paste; let this sit for two hours.
    Immediately before using, add one stiffly beaten egg white.
    Dredge the pineapple slices (well drained) in the thick
    paste and place them in hot oil. Fry on both sides, drain on
    paper towels. and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serves 8

    KISSEL (frozen Orange Dessert)

    2 lbs oranges or 4 cups orange juice 14 oz sugar 4 oz
    maizena (cornstarch) 2 1/2 cups water

    Squeeze the oranges, you will need at least 3 1/2 cups of
    juice. Pour the juice into a pot and add the sugar and 2
    cups water. Bring to a boil. Dilute the maizena in 1/2 cup
    cold water nd stir it into the boiling orange juice. Reduce
    heat and cook, stirring with a spatula, until the mixture is
    oily and transparent (several minutes). Remove from heat and
    cool slightly. Pour into chilled bowl or lightly greased
    mold. freeze for 2 to 3 hours. Unmold and serve. Serves 6

    Steve

    smithfarms pure kona wrote:
    > Do you know of any Ethiopian dessert recipes? I am
    > supposed to make one for our dinner club but can't seem to
    > find any dessert recipes even with GOOGLE's help.
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers
    > of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

    --
    Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and
    Other Edged Tools by Steve Bottorff Copyright January 2002