Etiquette question

Originally posted by Aussie cycler
Bothwell huh!

My girlfriend and I stayed at Bothwell Grange about 7 years ago. Nice quiet place - not much goes on at night though!

Plenty goes on at night. You obviously didn't meet the right sheep.

Originally posted by Blimp
Plenty goes on at night. You obviously didn't meet the right sheep.

In the interests of this forum, I think I wil pass that comment through to the keeper!

Originally posted by less'go
When you're on you bike and you come to a stop, for example, next to another bike, do you or don't you say hello? It is such an akward situation, I find, to just say nothing. But cyclists here seem too cool to even acknowledge the presence of another cyclist. I mean, I know we don't say hello to other drivers when we're at a stoplight in our cars, but still, the situation seelms different.

Howw about you?

Sara

is it so damn important?

Originally posted by butcher2000
is it so damn important?

Obviously not to you.

I guess it must be to me, or I wouldn't have asked the question ;) .

Little Mary Sunshine

yeah, i always say hi. i'm usually thrilled to see a cyclist that i always greet them.

I never pass a cyclist, regardless of whichi side of the road he is on, without a simple wave or a 'good morning.' Occasionally I am passed by a self-absorbed cycling stud, but be sure that I ride his tail and pass him while casually drinking from a water bottle. It probably does little for his manners, but I am quite certain that his ego suffers as he sees that grey-peppered beard whiz by.

The message is simply to treat others with kindness and respect.

Originally posted by Triplecentury
I never pass a cyclist, regardless of whichi side of the road he is on, without a simple wave or a 'good morning.' Occasionally I am passed by a self-absorbed cycling stud, but be sure that I ride his tail and pass him while casually drinking from a water bottle. It probably does little for his manners, but I am quite certain that his ego suffers as he sees that grey-peppered beard whiz by.

The message is simply to treat others with kindness and respect.

If they caught you once, they should catch you again. Respect is something that you earn, not give out with a wave and a hello.

Come ride up here. Have never been dropped by a rider that I have caught.....

Memph

Location, location, location. Seems the difference in politeness of riders. Where I ride on the local bike trail, almost everyone gives a nod to a passing cyclist. I enjoy stopping at resting places with other cyclists already there since a pleasant conversation is usually the result.

Well, up here in Washington state, I almost always say hello. Especially at a stoplight! Always wave or nod to cyclists going the other way too. What's really fun is to be at a coffee shop where there are a few riders. All you have to do is ask them a question or two about their bike, where they are riding to or from, and away you go...yeah, there are a few idiots on bikes, but for the most part, they are just the nicest folks you'll ever meet!

I agree, it takes all kinds. I always say hello or nod an acknowledgement to other riders or runners/walkers. I have only gotten snubbed once. I also own a couple of Corvettes and it is an unwritten rule(atleast it used to be) to wave when you see another on the road but alas I have been snubbed there also. As a few have said I keep waving no matter.:cool:

Hi, another Canadian perspective.
My wife and I cycle a fair bit together and use the bike paths to get to the edge of our town. She thinks its funny that I say hi to all the cyclists, most of whom ignore me in response. What's their trouble, its not like their going anerobic or something. The farther from town we get, the friendlier the cyclists, maybe cause we look more like serious cyclists if we're 40 km from home.
BTW my wife says that the running club I used to run with was a lot more welcoming and friendly and encouraging than my old bike club was.
She is absolutely right. The question is WHY?

Mike

Originally posted by Insight Driver
Location, location, location. Seems the difference in politeness of riders. Where I ride on the local bike trail, almost everyone gives a nod to a passing cyclist. I enjoy stopping at resting places with other cyclists already there since a pleasant conversation is usually the result.
I spent many a mile on that local bike trail you speak of. I was mostly running at the time, but I used to cross train on my bike. On one run, I remember getting too close to a skunk when I was running before sunup. I had a feeling I got sprayed, and didn't know it until I got home and stopped. I think that was the only time I saw a skunk on that trail; that tells you something about my luck.

As for conversations, I like to have conversations when I am on tour, but a simple wave or nod is about all I usually do when I am on a training ride. For example, I was riding up about a 12% grade a while ago, and a mountain biker coming down hit his brakes and started a conversation. I expected him to follow me back up the hill, but I could see that his friendliness wasn't going to extend to that great of an effort, and I was unwilling to stop at my most enjoyable part of the ride. So onward I climbed.

When you're on you bike and you come to a stop, for example, next to another bike, do you or don't you say hello? It is such an akward situation, I find, to just say nothing. But cyclists here seem too cool to even acknowledge the presence of another cyclist.

My wife and I ride most Sundays on a popular cycling highway, and make it a point to wave or otherwise acknowledge other cyclists. Most reciprocate (or beat us to it). Interestingly enough, we get more snubs from the clearly casual riders than from the Cane Creek team guys on their training rides.

mike

When you're on you bike and you come to a stop, for example, next to another bike, do you or don't you say hello? It is such an akward situation, I find, to just say nothing. But cyclists here seem too cool to even acknowledge the presence of another cyclist. I mean, I know we don't say hello to other drivers when we're at a stoplight in our cars, but still, the situation seelms different.

Howw about you?

Sara

I usually ride in the morning and there are a lot of exercisers out at that time. I always give a gesture of sorts to all that I meet or pass (Joggers, walkers & bikers). Probably ninety five percent respond with a smile and a wave or nod or some positive gesture. Morning people are more cheery I think.

If I am stopping next to another rider and there is room for a small exchange, I will usually say Great day to be out huh? Usually getting affirmative responses and on a few occasions have continued to ride with them for some time, several miles at least.

On one occasion a person was on their high horse because they had a totally smoking ride and he looked down at me on my “Pretty Nice” bike, which palled in comparison. The “Rude-One” as I’ll call him simply played the Mute. But I love everyone, so I coached him on proper “Human Etiquette”, and said ”This is where you say “Yeah great Day” with extreme sarcasm. Of course there was still no response, just a look that said; “Why do people insist on interacting and playing nice…” So, as the light was turning green, I said “It was a pleasure meeting you, have a nice day buddy”, again really sarcastic. What I should have said was “You should take up shark diving, There is not much talking and there is a good chance the shark will eat you”. But I didn’t think of that till later, maybe next time. In retrospect I wish had that tidbit offered by Alex001; “Is that a dent on your frame?”, I think that would have gotten his goat real good.

Beyond that I have been approached by others in cars who had bike racks with and without bikes attached and saw my rack and just give a knowing nod. And we both know why we are acknowledging each other. There are lots of friendly’s out there.

Sum it up, lots of nice people out there, One totally sweet bike with a super “Tool” for an owner.

C’Rider

:)

Howw about you?

Sara

Some people were born with gregarious genes. It seems that you have your fare share, as well as many other riders I see on this thread. However, there are many of us who don't have gregarious genes, or at least, not a very strong dose. Those that do will always comment on what is "etiquette" and what is not, even so much as criticizing people for elevating themselves above the rest and refusing to talk.

Consider that the people that don't want to talk or gesture simply were born with a different set of genes in that regard. Although it may "work" to try different approaches to get them to socially interact, at the end of the day, they still have those different genes. It doesn't mean that they are any better or worse. In some situations, or careers for that matter, introversion is an advantage. In others, extroversion is.

So if that guy or gal doesn't want to talk or gesture, don't take it personally. Just because they are on a bike doesn't mean their genetics are any different than they were when you saw them at the grocery store, bank, etc.

I am usually introverted. On paper or electronically, I would not classify myself this way. In that medium, I would say I am extroverted pretty heavily. I have been known to be exceedingly sociable on occasion in everyday life, but my pattern is to be like the guy that just stoically keeps right on riding. I think I was just born this way.

Originally posted by gntlmn
Some people were born with gregarious genes. It seems that you have your fare share, as well as many other riders I see on this thread. However, there are many of us who don't have gregarious genes, or at least, not a very strong dose. Those that do will always comment on what is "etiquette" and what is not, even so much as criticizing people for elevating themselves above the rest and refusing to talk.

Consider that the people that don't want to talk or gesture simply were born with a different set of genes in that regard. Although it may "work" to try different approaches to get them to socially interact, at the end of the day, they still have those different genes. It doesn't mean that they are any better or worse. In some situations, or careers for that matter, introversion is an advantage. In others, extroversion is.

So if that guy or gal doesn't want to talk or gesture, don't take it personally. Just because they are on a bike doesn't mean their genetics are any different than they were when you saw them at the grocery store, bank, etc.

I am usually introverted. On paper or electronically, I would not classify myself this way. In that medium, I would say I am extroverted pretty heavily. I have been known to be exceedingly sociable on occasion in everyday life, but my pattern is to be like the guy that just stoically keeps right on riding. I think I was just born this way.

If I get beside another cyclist at a red light. I ignore them most times. Not because I'm rude. #1, may not hear them because of my radio/MP3 player. #2, may be chatting away on phone. #3, attempting to keep balance as so not to unclip. #4, smiling at hot chick in car beside me. Then again, if the rider is any kind of rider, they should understand what it means if a cyclist approaches while beeping. Then should not take it the wrong way if response is not there......

Memph

I'll carry the radio in the winter for cross country skiing and take my chances on not hearing the moose, but I'm concerned about not hearing or noticing something on my bike with all those gadgets. Plus, my ex girlfriend got me out of the habit of carrying my cellphone on the bike, always calling so often: hard to focus on the ride. I guess I don't have any excuses for not saying hey all the time, but I do usually wave, smile or nod, especially if it's particularly nasty weather. There's some kind of a feeling of comraderie to see someone else as nutty as I am braving the elements.

Sounds like you have a real air traffic control situation going on: plenty of high tech. lol.

Originally posted by gntlmn
I'll carry the radio in the winter for cross country skiing and take my chances on not hearing the moose, but I'm concerned about not hearing or noticing something on my bike with all those gadgets. Plus, my ex girlfriend got me out of the habit of carrying my cellphone on the bike, always calling so often: hard to focus on the ride. I guess I don't have any excuses for not saying hey all the time, but I do usually wave, smile or nod, especially if it's particularly nasty weather. There's some kind of a feeling of comraderie to see someone else as nutty as I am braving the elements.

Sounds like you have a real air traffic control situation going on: plenty of high tech. lol.

My radio/MP3/cell ar all 1 tidy unit with I use hands free. The time passes faster on my slw ride days chatting away to friends. My hard days go better with music. Plus why do I desire to hear traffic. If I get hit, I get hit. That is why my cell is with me.....

Memph