Etiquette question

Hey! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look that one up. I just had my cellphone stolen (I know who she was). Maybe I'll get one of those. All hands free, eh...

Originally posted by gntlmn
Hey! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look that one up. I just had my cellphone stolen (I know who she was). Maybe I'll get one of those. All hands free, eh...

Yes, I just select auto answer & when the phone rings, it pauses music and goes to call. It is the "Nokia 3300". Depending on the memory card, that determines the amount of music. My new card allows me over 100 tracks of music. Rechargeable battery, which gets 10-11 hours of music play. All of this in a single unit which is slightly larger then an average cell.

Going to give this unit to my g-friend and get the "Nokia N-GAGE". All the same features except you can purchase video game cards from such software companies as EA Sports.....

Memph

You gotta be kidding me...and I guess you play that on the bike too at the stop lights. ha ha. If you get Cubis, I'm warning you, you'll get addicted.

Originally posted by gntlmn
You gotta be kidding me...and I guess you play that on the bike too at the stop lights. ha ha. If you get Cubis, I'm warning you, you'll get addicted.

Would never play the games while on the bike. Not even at red lights, too busy ignoring other cyclists. The game feature is more for the daily commute to work by bus once the snow sticks and we get our -28C windchill weather.

I'm typing this thru my phone at work......

Memph

In the Blue Mts, my experience is that many roadies and dork riders will wave from the other side of the highway and say hello going past. Anyone riding a Trek/Giant/GT/Specialized/Cannondale etc. mountain bike doesn't want to know you on the road or in the bush. You can be miles out in the bush and someone rides past...you say hello and are totally ignored. Try and find someone to go riding with...not interested. Hardly a very social sport and it would be a waste of time joining any MTB clubs despite living right in Australia's best MTB terrritory.
It is true also that a lot of MTB riders, particularly riding the Oaks, are day trippers from Sydney so it's not surprising they are so rude and unfriendly.
Oh, and these ppl with MTB's permanently attached to the roof of their late model car, or the back of the motorhome...do they actually ever ride them?

I always make an effort to say Hi or nod if passing in opposite directions. Most riders are cool, but I've noticed that what I used to think was arrogance is sometimes just focus.
I notice that sometimes when I'm really pushing and get into a "zone" I don't notice a lot around me...other than the immediate road.

I always acknowledge other riders and mostly get a response. Also get waves from automobile drivers and almost always mail carriers. Must be that US Postal thing.And as to earlier comments,what's rugby? NFL play-off season is almost here!

The Irish Perspective-> If they are in cycling gear there is always a smile and a bit of a hello. If you are stopped at lights and there is another cyclist you say "Grand ould say for it isint it! " or if its raining or you might say "Terrible weather we're having isint it!" as if its a shock. OR maybe just ask how there mother was keeping of something!
OR as once happened to me, I stopped at a shop in Laragh Co Wicklow - beautiful place to top up on food and drink and another bloke stops who i never knew but recognised had raced underage and hadnt raced in about 6 years. He was in a body-bag and I went for a cuppa tea and scones with him! WOuldnt it be great if we all went for an ould cuppa tea and scones with each other when we meet!!

hehehe. i l have to laugh at myself because i am such a non-greeter on a bike. my guard is up way too high in general, and it's because of my experience greeting people. it didn't even occur to me that this is strange behaviour.

i would LOVE to get advice on how to handle someone who is exhibiting harrassing behaviour. i'm unfortunatly rather slow on a road bike, and in general can only get away from people (men) who are on hybrids. admittedly, i haven't had any bad experiences since i've been on my road bike, but in my commuter days on the mtn bike, i have had well, just one exceptionally bad experience that effectively shut my mouth when it came to randomly greeting other bikers on a trail.

maybe this is a trail phenomenon....

but i hate to think people think i'm rude--i always return a greeting that i get, i'm just not very forward about initiating it...

Originally posted by jhuskey
I always acknowledge other riders and mostly get a response. Also get waves from automobile drivers and almost always mail carriers. Must be that US Postal thing.And as to earlier comments,what's rugby? NFL play-off season is almost here!

Who are you cheering for in the play-offs. My fave team won huge last week, but shall miss the playoffs. My 2nd team (because the best QB ever finished his career there) looks unbeatable.

Rugby is similar to football (not soccer). Most highschool play it up as it is cheaper then football (cost of equipment). In my opinion, it is a rougher contact sport then the NFL (CFL, is a joke)....

Memph

Originally posted by brightgarden
hehehe. i l have to laugh at myself because i am such a non-greeter on a bike. my guard is up way too high in general, and it's because of my experience greeting people. it didn't even occur to me that this is strange behaviour.

i would LOVE to get advice on how to handle someone who is exhibiting harrassing behaviour. i'm unfortunatly rather slow on a road bike, and in general can only get away from people (men) who are on hybrids. admittedly, i haven't had any bad experiences since i've been on my road bike, but in my commuter days on the mtn bike, i have had well, just one exceptionally bad experience that effectively shut my mouth when it came to randomly greeting other bikers on a trail.

maybe this is a trail phenomenon....

but i hate to think people think i'm rude--i always return a greeting that i get, i'm just not very forward about initiating it...

I'll leave this post alone, as she is a female & slow.....

Memph

Or you could say (as the light turns green) It looks like your rear quick release is undone,yo might want to check.

Originally posted by alex001
Or you could say (as the light turns green) It looks like your rear quick release is undone,yo might want to check.

Who would fall for that???

Memph

Originally posted by alex001
maybe you, idont know

I know the condition of my bike before every ride. Never have I left house with quick release open.

Maybe if someone told me that my tires were smoking. I would fall for that.... :)

Memph

Would you be a Broncos supporter then? Best QB was definately from Denver and they had a huge win last week.

Originally posted by bfra1
Would you be a Broncos supporter then? Best QB was definately from Denver and they had a huge win last week.

Close. The greatest QB, never had a single SB loss, unlike Elway & his 2 losses (1 of them to greatest QB). He was near perfect in the SB, not a single INT. He & his coach made an offensive system so popular that most teams know copy it.

He also had an awesome come from behind win on Monday night football in Denver while playing for KC....

Memph

last clue, only QB to have a city & state named after him....

G'day to all the cycoz out there------the only time I don't speak is when I can't,-------- like say on the last of a 5 kilo hill and all I can do an is gasp and knod, wishing like hell I could stop and visit. Or of course goin' down the other side at break neck speed tryn' to make up time cause of the hell,I mean hill. Then ofcourse it would be fruitless to converse because it would be lost in the sound barrier.---till we meet at the stoplite, coffee shop, bar,or roadside park,here's to you babe. Not bein' unfriendly, just sometimes find myself on an unfriendly mission.--shamanmartan