Etiquette Question

travelgirl

Jul 31, 2006
I'm fairly new to all of this and had an etiquette question. In prepping for a 2 day MS ride coming up this week-end I rode in an organized 50k charity ride a few weeks ago. We had settled in a bit and spread out and I had 3 riders that were riding somewhat staggered, but taking up the full lane - from the double yellow over to the shoulder. As we started up a hill and they slowed a bit, they continued to stay spread out, chatting away. I know we're supposed to pass on the left, but that would have taken me into the oncoming lane. Instead of "to the left" I said "coming through" and passed between them. Again, they were staggered and not riding 3 abreast. And they continued chatting and riding. This went on until the first rest stop - but I only "came through" once. What should I have done? Or should they have been riding closer together to make it easier to pass? BTW, they also never moved over when "car back" was shouted.

eh, don't expect much on charity rides while this type of behavior can be dangerous to you and others many charity riders are inexperienced. I would have sprinted around them on the left unless I was close to the crest of the hill. Just use your best judgment. Passing between can be dangerous if they are not expecting it or if they are inexperienced. Having someone come up along side you unexpectedly could cause a crash pretty easily.

djk202020 said:
eh, don't expect much on charity rides while this type of behavior can be dangerous to you and others many charity riders are inexperienced. I would have sprinted around them on the left unless I was close to the crest of the hill. Just use your best judgment. Passing between can be dangerous if they are not expecting it or if they are inexperienced. Having someone come up along side you unexpectedly could cause a crash pretty easily.
I did figure that into the mix. However, I couldn't help but hear their conversation and it was all about rides, clubs, did you do that one this year?, etc. So they sounded like they were more experienced and rode together often. I'm still beginner enough that sprinting all the way 'round them was not an option! Guess my best bet would be to shift into a granny gear and stay with the pace vs going through them.

no way. i wouldn't endanger yourself just because they are being inconsiderate. i'd say "on your left" louder and louder until they got the message. and then give them a nice smile to show them you're just trying to get throught, not be a pain. but they absolutely shouldn't be doing that. in most states it's against the law to ride three abreast.

cheapie said:
no way. i wouldn't endanger yourself just because they are being inconsiderate. i'd say "on your left" louder and louder until they got the message. and then give them a nice smile to show them you're just trying to get throught, not be a pain. but they absolutely shouldn't be doing that. in most states it's against the law to ride three abreast.
You know, I guess that was my base question - were they being inconsiderate. I thought so but thought maybe I was off base. I also more fully get the safety angle too - thanks for clarifying that.

Yes they were being inconsiderate and dangerous. Just make clear politely that you want to pass on their left, and as the other poster said, smile and say 'thanks' while riding by...

Now if every rider put so much effort into being polite, cycling would be so much more pleasant. On the NARROWER mountain paths, most of the time there is no left or right passing option. On the whole passing through a bunch usually requires a hello, passing through, but you get those riders that pretend that you don't even exist, and you end up elbowing your way through, but fortunately they are the minority.

Well, guess who happened to be on this ride I just finished? The same threesome. I followed the advice and after three, yes 3, "on your left" she pulled over to the right and let me pass. Throwing me a pretty nasty look - but I smiled and said thank you and kept on going. Thanks for the advice!

excellent! that's the way to handle it. depending on my HR and how gassed i was would my reaction would range from what you did to something more along the lines of "GET OVER YOU STUPID COWS!!! maybe after you finish your up of tea you could PULL YOUR HEAD OUT AND PAY ATTENTION."

now, i've never actually done that and will likely never do so. but if i ever did, that's pretty much the exact situation that would bring it out. :p

Wow! That is stupid and dangerous. If I ever was in that situation I would just tell it how it is. And that probably would include some interesting language.

But if you aren't that type of person, just smiling and saying "thank you" is the best you can do.

When you see them in the next ride, if it takes 3 'on your left' yells, when you pass them say something like 'thanks for letting me use YOUR road, I didn't realize you OWNED it!'

Well, I feel so much better! I know that "thank you" and a :) is the totally correct way to go about it; however, a :D response feels soooo much better. I'll see how "Emily Post correct " I'm feeling next time we cross paths.

ok, I agree that the other riders were being inconsiderate.

I have a question about the situation though.
Why was it a problem to pass by going in the other lane and around them? Was there alot of incoming or passing traffic? or was it because they made a "convoy" that would have taken a bit of time/distance to get around?

e0richt said:
ok, I agree that the other riders were being inconsiderate.

I have a question about the situation though.
Why was it a problem to pass by going in the other lane and around them? Was there alot of incoming or passing traffic? or was it because they made a "convoy" that would have taken a bit of time/distance to get around?
Watch for them in the future and start in front of them...

well,i've ethier riden a bike to work or been in the saddle every chance i got for at least 30 some years.i've meet a lot of cool cyclests,had fun at races ,in the bike shop and on the trail but ,there are more fu&*in know it alls and people around who say that they 've done it all.from riding to the store and then pluto...just tell them to move over! another thing all these "famous riders" are the same ones i ve never seen on the road or even at any of the events i've been to. i wish they would give us a break!!:rolleyes:

Glad to see the comments hear. I used to tour 20 years ago and the safest and most considerate ways we found to ride was single file, and only rode abreast when the road was wide enough and the line of sight was far enough to be able to pull back to single file safely if a car or other rider came by. Today I live in a beautiful rural setting with narrow winding roads in "upstate" New York - half way between NYC and Albany. We get a lot of bike club traffic , and when driving the kids to and from their events, or just around town I run into club riders pedaling 2 or 3 abreast, seemingly oblivious to my presence in the car, chatting away and just enjoying the scenery. I give them a little toot to get by, and get dirty looks. I do think it's illegal, but these are country roads and no one is out there looking to enforce this kind of law... I always feel like a jerk just being in a car with others riding, let alone have to deal with the "conflict" on the road... the speed limit is already only 35, and with the bikes in the road it's even slower.. :rolleyes: ..
So I think - do I pull over and make a stink (in a polite way) .. just blow it off ... call the police... call the club ... yell out "single file"? I feel like the pesky old neighbor asking the kids to behave... it is weird, because just 2 years ago while riding abreast 3 wide, one of the riders was heading down a hill in the middle of our road, drifted over to the other lane and hit an oncoming car head on. He was pretty banged up and our kids had the pleasure of seeing him splayed out in the road from the school bus.:(
I can't see why the rest of club still needs to ride this way..
After getting our 4 kids off to a good start in life, my wife and I are re-discovering biking, and may at some point join one of these clubs :) .. or maybe as I'm writing this we should start our own (rider safety course)?
Thanks !

George