Etoufee

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bubba, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Got some alligator thawing and a new (for me) type of whole grain red
    rice to play with.
    Anyone have a stellar "tried and true" etoufee recipe they'd care to
    share???

    Thanks,
    Bubba

    --
    You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

    Tags:

  2. Mikol

    Mikol Guest

    "Bubba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Got some alligator thawing and a new (for me) type of whole grain red
    > rice to play with.
    > Anyone have a stellar "tried and true" etoufee recipe they'd care to
    > share???
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bubba
    >
    > --
    > You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

    Here is a Gumbo I have tried... and it is truely tasty

    2 lbs Alligator meat, cut in thin strips approx. 1"long x 1/4"thick
    3/4 lb Butter (3 sticks)
    1/2 cup Green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
    3 cloves Garlic, minced
    4 stalks Celery, chopped
    1/2 cup Red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1/2 cup Green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 large.cans stewed tomatoes
    2 lbs okra, stem and cook separately until tender
    1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. salt (to taste)

    Saute onions, garlic, peppers and celery in butter until soft. Add other
    ingredients, except okra, and simmer for 10 minutes in large covered iron
    pot. Add okra to other ingredients + some of okra cooking liquid and cook
    another 10 minutes. Add alligator meat and allow to cook over low heat
    until tender (approximately 1 hour). If gravy is too thick, add a little
    hot water. Serve over rice with hot buttered cornbread on the side.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Bubba <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Got some alligator thawing and a new (for me) type of whole grain red
    > rice to play with.
    > Anyone have a stellar "tried and true" etoufee recipe they'd care to
    > share???
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bubba

    Here's a sauce piquante recipe which is similar to etouffe. Cut down on
    the tomatoes and add some stock and you have etouffe.

    Alligator Sauce Piquante

    1/3 cup cooking fat
    2 lbs. alligator (upper tail) sliced into chop size
    flour for dredging
    seasoning to taste: use Tony Chachere's or a mix of salt, pepper,
    garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne
    1/4 cup flour
    1/3 cup finely chopped celery
    1/2 cup finely chopped green peppers
    1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
    1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    2 bay leaves
    2 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes
    1 tablespoon Lea & Perrins sauce
    hot pepper sauce to taste

    Sprinkle seasoning on both sides of the meat slices and dredge
    in flour. Brown the meat in fat then remove. Add the 1/4 cup
    flour to the fat over a low fire and stir until light brown.
    At this point add the celery, peppers, onions, garlic, and herbs.
    Cook until soft. Add the tomatoes, sauces and meat. Correct
    seasonings and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve over steamed rice.

  4. modom

    modom Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:31:57 GMT, Bubba <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Got some alligator thawing and a new (for me) type of whole grain red
    >rice to play with.
    >Anyone have a stellar "tried and true" etoufee recipe they'd care to
    >share???
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bubba

    There's something like a recipe embedded in the narrative of the first
    post in this thread: http://tinyurl.com/79njh

    modom