Euro cyclocross jersey question.

webhead

Guest
This might not be the right place but this just popped my mind:
I can figure out the standard UCI rainbow jersey, that's the world
champion. Sven Nys often rides in a full blue suit which holds a "UCI
ranking" title on the shoulders, I assume this would be the leader in
the UCI qualification.
But what about his white rainbow like jersey from rabo? It's a
vertical rainbow banner as apposed to the world champion and it has
different colours in it.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/interviews/sven_nys06/Nys_Sven_neemt_trappen.jpg

Ted van de Weteringe

Guest
webhead wrote:
> And that plain blue one's just this year's leader then? Is there a
> leader jersey for the super prestige and the Gva trophy?

Yes it is. No there isn't (or aren't, if you meant that).

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]> wrote:

> webhead wrote:
> > And that plain blue one's just this year's leader then? Is there a
> > leader jersey for the super prestige and the Gva trophy?

> Yes it is. No there isn't (or aren't, if you meant that).

That's interesting. For anyone wondering what the current series leader
jersey looks like:

<http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross.php?id=/photos/2007/dec07/SPDiegem07/SP
Diegem074/SvenNijsleadsbeforeSimunek>

And in my opinion, it looks dumb. There's a pretty long tradition of the
ranking jerseys having a variation of the rainbow stripes on them, isn't
there?

Hm. Thinking back, I believe all of the major points chases have
converted to solid-color jerseys. The road leader gets a white jersey
with blue trim, the Americas leader gets a white jersey with black
trim...

Here's Boonen in 2006 in the UCI leader's jersey:

<http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/wevelgem06/index.php?id=_TM
_3896>

But his race-day jersey (Gent-Wevelgem) looks a little different:

<http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/wevelgem06/index.php?id=_TM
_3459>

It combines (sorta) the World Championship jersey with the ProTour
leader's jersey. In theory the ProTour jersey takes precedence, but of
course nobody (Quick-Step) thinks so, so Boonen was allowed to wear that
"compromise" jersey.

Which, fortunately, looks a lot like a world championship jersey!

I got that little story from Wikipedia, but kudos to cyclingnews.com for
having a ridiculously accessible archive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_jersey

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

webhead

Guest
On Dec 31, 5:23 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > webhead wrote:
> > > And that plain blue one's just this year's leader then? Is there a
> > > leader jersey for the super prestige and the Gva trophy?

> > Yes it is. No there isn't (or aren't, if you meant that).

> That's interesting. For anyone wondering what the current series leader
> jersey looks like:
>
> <http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross.php?id=/photos/2007/dec07/SPDiegem07/SP
> Diegem074/SvenNijsleadsbeforeSimunek>
>
> And in my opinion, it looks dumb. There's a pretty long tradition of the
> ranking jerseys having a variation of the rainbow stripes on them, isn't
> there?
>
> Hm. Thinking back, I believe all of the major points chases have
> converted to solid-color jerseys. The road leader gets a white jersey
> with blue trim, the Americas leader gets a white jersey with black
> trim...
>
> Here's Boonen in 2006 in the UCI leader's jersey:
>
> <http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/wevelgem06/index.php?id=_TM
> _3896>
>
> But his race-day jersey (Gent-Wevelgem) looks a little different:
>
> <http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/wevelgem06/index.php?id=_TM
> _3459>
>
> It combines (sorta) the World Championship jersey with the ProTour
> leader's jersey. In theory the ProTour jersey takes precedence, but of
> course nobody (Quick-Step) thinks so, so Boonen was allowed to wear that
> "compromise" jersey.
>
> Which, fortunately, looks a lot like a world championship jersey!
>
> I got that little story from Wikipedia, but kudos to cyclingnews.com for
> having a ridiculously accessible archive.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_jersey
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

I remember that, they had to get it approved by the UCI and he only
wore it for a few races. There was a custom helmet for that too. And
he had one just before the last Ronde v Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders)
which had some easter eggs for each win and a big question mark for
that days race.

Speaking of custom helmets, Bettini's last year helmet was quite
colourful. Didn't he have a gold-italian flag-purple helmet in the
Giro?

ST

Guest
On 12/30/07 11:57 AM, in article
[email protected]m, "webhead"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> This might not be the right place but this just popped my mind:
> I can figure out the standard UCI rainbow jersey, that's the world
> champion. Sven Nys often rides in a full blue suit which holds a "UCI
> ranking" title on the shoulders, I assume this would be the leader in
> the UCI qualification.
> But what about his white rainbow like jersey from rabo? It's a
> vertical rainbow banner as apposed to the world champion and it has
> different colours in it.
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/interviews/sven_nys06/Nys_Sven_neemt_tr
> appen.jpg

This is from 2006. He was not WC in 2007.