euro jersey sizing (tall & skinny)

Benjamin Lewis

Guest
My cycling club is currently preparing to order some long sleeved wool
cycling jerseys, and I'd like to purchase one. Unfortunately, I can't try
one on before I order. They come in "euro sizing"; and they've provided a
sizing chart as follows:

Euro 3 Euro 4 Euro 5 5'0 to 5'6" 5'6" to 5'10" 5'10" and up
135-150 lbs 150-165 lbs 165-180 lbs 36-37 chest 38-39 chest
40-41 chest

I'm roughly 6'2", weigh a little over 150 lbs, and I believe
my chest size is approximately 36-37 (it's possible that I'm
measuring wrong, but if so it's more likely that this is on
the high side).

Are there any other tall skinny guys out there with euro
sized clothing who can give me a recommendation? I prefer my
jerseys not to hang too loosely (ideally should be touching
my skin everywhere). It's also nice if the arms are long
enough, but as long as they're somewhat reasonable this is a
second priority.

One thought I had was to order the size 4, and look into
getting it taken in if it's annoyingly loose, but I'd prefer
not to have to do this if there's a size that fits better.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is
superior, but they are held by most to be the lunatic fringe
of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> My cycling club is currently preparing to order some long
> sleeved wool cycling jerseys, and I'd like to purchase
> one. Unfortunately, I can't try one on before I order.
> They come in "euro sizing"; and they've provided a sizing
> chart as follows:
>
> Euro 3 Euro 4 Euro 5 5'0 to 5'6" 5'6" to 5'10" 5'10" and
> up 135-150 lbs 150-165 lbs 165-180 lbs 36-37 chest 38-39
> chest 40-41 chest
>
> I'm roughly 6'2", weigh a little over 150 lbs, and I
> believe my chest size is approximately 36-37 (it's
> possible that I'm measuring wrong, but if so it's more
> likely that this is on the high side).
>
> Are there any other tall skinny guys out there with euro
> sized clothing who can give me a recommendation? I prefer
> my jerseys not to hang too loosely (ideally should be
> touching my skin everywhere). It's also nice if the arms
> are long enough, but as long as they're somewhat
> reasonable this is a second priority.
>
> One thought I had was to order the size 4, and look into
> getting it taken in if it's annoyingly loose, but I'd
> prefer not to have to do this if there's a size that
> fits better.

That's probably a good plan. Smaller sizes are otherwise
proportioned for a smaller/shorter person, so I wouldn't
go there. It's usually pretty easy to take in the side
seams, but the rest will never fit right if you buy a
shirt that's too small for your height. Even with less
flesh on your bones, a smaller size won't match the
proportions of your frame.

I have two siblings w/ over 10 years each in haberdashery,
so I have a pretty good idea what works. Yes, I've had the
tailor in my brother's store work on my cycling clothes.

Matt O.

Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:

> My cycling club is currently preparing to order some long
> sleeved wool cycling jerseys, and I'd like to purchase
> one. Unfortunately, I can't try one on before I order.
> They come in "euro sizing"; and they've provided a sizing
> chart as follows:

> Euro 3 Euro 4 Euro 5 5'0 to 5'6" 5'6" to 5'10" 5'10" and
> up 135-150 lbs 150-165 lbs 165-180 lbs 36-37 chest 38-39
> chest 40-41 chest

> I'm roughly 6'2", weigh a little over 150 lbs, and I
> believe my chest size is approximately 36-37 (it's
> possible that I'm measuring wrong, but if so it's more
> likely that this is on the high side).

> Are there any other tall skinny guys out there with euro
> sized clothing who can give me a recommendation? I prefer
> my jerseys not to hang too loosely (ideally should be
> touching my skin everywhere). It's also nice if the arms
> are long enough, but as long as they're somewhat
> reasonable this is a second priority.

> One thought I had was to order the size 4, and look into
> getting it taken in if it's annoyingly loose, but I'd
> prefer not to have to do this if there's a size that
> fits better.

Probably the 4. The 5 will be too big in the chest. The 3
will not have long enough arms and maybe even torso (all
the older wool jerseys I have are long in torso, but newer
ones may not be). The 3 may also be hard to even get into,
especially if it doesn't have a long zipper. Even if, like
me, you have a sunken 97-pound-weakling chest, your
shoulders are probably still bigger than the intended
wearer of the 3.

I'd lean toward the Euro 5.

I'm 6' & 158 pounds. I have both a Tommaso and Natali jersey
in a 5 and they fit well.

The fit may hinge on your torso length, which could vary
from your overall height.

Good luck!

Chris Neary [email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you
ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I loved" -
Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

"Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...

> My cycling club is currently preparing to order some long
> sleeved wool cycling jerseys, and I'd like to purchase
> one. Unfortunately, I can't try one on before I order.
> They come in "euro sizing"; and they've provided a sizing
> chart as follows:
>
> Euro 3 Euro 4 Euro 5 5'0 to 5'6" 5'6" to 5'10" 5'10" and
> up 135-150 lbs 150-165 lbs 165-180 lbs 36-37 chest 38-39
> chest 40-41 chest
>
> I'm roughly 6'2", weigh a little over 150 lbs, and I
> believe my chest size is approximately 36-37 (it's
> possible that I'm measuring wrong, but if so it's more
> likely that this is on the high side).
>
> Are there any other tall skinny guys out there with euro
> sized clothing
who
> can give me a recommendation? I prefer my jerseys not to
> hang too loosely (ideally should be touching my skin
> everywhere). It's also nice if the arms are long enough,
> but as long as they're somewhat reasonable this is a
> second priority.
>
> One thought I had was to order the size 4, and look into
> getting it taken in if it's annoyingly loose, but I'd
> prefer not to have to do this if there's a size that
> fits better.
>
> --
> Benjamin Lewis
>
> A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is
> superior, but they are held by most to be the lunatic
> fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie
science.

There are several types of Euro sizing. Italian sizing is
smaller than German, i.e. an Iti size 5 would be a German 4.
Can you give your figures in metrical sizes, I can't comment
on the "alien" sizing you are providing.

cheers,

bert L. (NL, EU)