EuroFred's - The Continent is not Immune!

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:37:41 +0100, Ewoud Dronkert
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I don't get it at all. In my mind a fred is a poser, not a real racer but
>acting like one on training rides and wearing or riding things not
>befitting his status.

Mostly Freds are anti-posers. Unshaved legs, cut-offs, maybe old
Lyotard pedals because they still work. And since they ride maybe
every day and almost to every where, some will outride the posers on
the new bikes AFTER riding 20 miles to the ride and holding back
because they're riding the 20 miles home.

Maybe different elsewhere, but around here a Fred and a poser are from
different planets.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> Maybe different elsewhere, but around here a Fred and a poser are from
> different planets.

In my experience, over here, the poser is laughed at and pushed out of the
echelon. He's fortunate that not many people have frame pumps anymore.
Your fred maybe looks like he just got started in cycling but that's fine;
he's just another respected group rider (ie. like for everybody else, no
waiting when he flats). Legs talk. There's no special word for his kind of
rider. My idea about the fred concept I got from rbr. Apparently I got it
wrong, sorry for the confusion.

--
E. Dronkert

I am with Curtis. The american fred has hairy legs, white tube socks
mid calf (I think lance and his tall socks are wicked fredly - so
wrong), smells TERRIBLE, rides to work 40 miles a day, all winter, does
not have "cycling specific" glasses, but must certainly has
prescription glasses, has the oldest helmet in existence, and probably
a rusty bike, and his clothes absolutely cannot match.

The fred is the smelly guy you come up on during your little group
ride, and try to drop cause his old rancid clothes smell so bad (or is
it the neoprene socks?) but CAN'T goddamnit.

The poser is the guy on the colnago with the chubby but shaved legs who
you blast by on your MTB riding to the trail.

Honorary PhD in Fredly Studies from University of Colorado

jerry in vermont wrote:

> I am with Curtis. The american fred has hairy legs, white tube socks
> mid calf (I think lance and his tall socks are wicked fredly - so
> wrong), smells TERRIBLE, rides to work 40 miles a day, all winter, does
> not have "cycling specific" glasses, but must certainly has
> prescription glasses, has the oldest helmet in existence, and probably
> a rusty bike, and his clothes absolutely cannot match.

Americans don't appear to be very tolerant of unconventional people.

> jerry in vermont wrote:
>

>>I am with Curtis. The american fred has hairy legs, white tube socks
>>mid calf (I think lance and his tall socks are wicked fredly - so
>>wrong), smells TERRIBLE, rides to work 40 miles a day, all winter, does
>>not have "cycling specific" glasses, but must certainly has
>>prescription glasses, has the oldest helmet in existence, and probably
>>a rusty bike, and his clothes absolutely cannot match.

That sounds like my mental image of Sheldon, (except for the smell of
course.)

Marty

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:49:41 +0200, Donald Munro
<[email protected]> wrote:

>jerry in vermont wrote:
>
>> I am with Curtis. The american fred has hairy legs, white tube socks
>> mid calf (I think lance and his tall socks are wicked fredly - so
>> wrong), smells TERRIBLE, rides to work 40 miles a day, all winter, does
>> not have "cycling specific" glasses, but must certainly has
>> prescription glasses, has the oldest helmet in existence, and probably
>> a rusty bike, and his clothes absolutely cannot match.

>Americans don't appear to be very tolerant of unconventional people.

Depends on which direction the wind's blowing.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> My idea about the fred concept I got from rbr. Apparently I got it
> wrong, sorry for the confusion.

I don't know if I have it "right" either (getting it right =
non-fredly?) but the first time I heard the term, it was "triathafred",
and referred to the Magnificent Sleeveless (posing; posers) who refused
to learn group riding skills but still thought they were superior to
those who knew a whole bunch more than they did about riding bicycles.

I should put something in here about putting large groups of
competitors together and penalizing them for drafting: Fred-ly, fredly,
fredly. --D-y

[email protected] wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> > My idea about the fred concept I got from rbr. Apparently I got it
> > wrong, sorry for the confusion.

> I don't know if I have it "right" either (getting it right =
> non-fredly?) but the first time I heard the term, it was "triathafred",
> and referred to the Magnificent Sleeveless (posing; posers) who refused
> to learn group riding skills but still thought they were superior to
> those who knew a whole bunch more than they did about riding bicycles.
>
> I should put something in here about putting large groups of
> competitors together and penalizing them for drafting: Fred-ly, fredly,
> fredly. --D-y

I think this pretty much sums it up:
Will Rogers:
Common sense ain't common.