European Bike Express -- Change in routes

Pinky

Guest
I have just downloaded the 2007 brochure for Bike Express's routes for next
year.

I find that they are, in fact, a totally new company ( Ace Eurotours) and
that they have deleted the route which went via Strasbourg and Mulhouse to
Venice ( it was supported by Bolero holidays).

As far as I can see Bolero holidays only provide a service to a "fixed base"
package style holiday. I shall ring them later today to find out if they
can transport me and my bike (+ trailer) to and from Venice without the need
for staying in their campsite. It doesn't look hopeful at all! They have
downsized the coach used and it may no longer tow a bike trailer.

So anyone wanting to get to Italy, or cycle the Danube Radweg will have to
travel extensively by train or fly there.

It seems a great pity. I have used Bike Express for 3 years and found it to
be an excellent service at a very reasonable cost.

It certainly increases my problems in doing a Italian circular tour next
year. I was intending to start and finish in Venice with 5 weeks in between
travelling down the Adriatic and back up the other side of Italy. Ah
well --- I need to do a total rethink -- back to the drawing board.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 07:00:13 GMT, "Pinky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have just downloaded the 2007 brochure for Bike Express's routes for next
>year.
>
>I find that they are, in fact, a totally new company ( Ace Eurotours) and
>that they have deleted the route which went via Strasbourg and Mulhouse to
>Venice ( it was supported by Bolero holidays).
>
>As far as I can see Bolero holidays only provide a service to a "fixed base"
>package style holiday. I shall ring them later today to find out if they
>can transport me and my bike (+ trailer) to and from Venice without the need
>for staying in their campsite. It doesn't look hopeful at all! They have
>downsized the coach used and it may no longer tow a bike trailer.
>
>So anyone wanting to get to Italy, or cycle the Danube Radweg will have to
>travel extensively by train or fly there.
>
>It seems a great pity. I have used Bike Express for 3 years and found it to
>be an excellent service at a very reasonable cost.
>
>It certainly increases my problems in doing a Italian circular tour next
>year. I was intending to start and finish in Venice with 5 weeks in between
>travelling down the Adriatic and back up the other side of Italy. Ah
>well --- I need to do a total rethink -- back to the drawing board.

I looked at the "customer's routes" and had done some mileage
calculations based on being dropped off at Mulhouse before going back
to the "Routes" section and discovering the Mulhouse route had been
dropped. At least for my plan the Med B route goes to Nancy, but a
shame neverless.
Re the separate companies, I seem to recall a variety of operators
being named in the small notice by the door of the coach in recent
years. I'm sure Ace Eurotours was on the outward and/or inward trip
this year.

pete

Pinky wrote:

> So anyone wanting to get to Italy, or cycle the Danube Radweg will have to
> travel extensively by train or fly there.

Travelling by train is a joy compared to coach. Prices (once you have
got to London at least) are just as attractive.
See http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

Dan,
Tkx for that link

I have just had a look at the site briefly and will do so in more detail
over the w/e and make some enquiries.

Any information on taking bike plus Bob Yak trailer -- or a steer about
where to look would be helpful!

The great thing with the Bike Express bus was that I just had to cycle about
11 miles from home to the bus pick up point and then my bike and trailer
were out of sight and out of the way until I off loaded ( this year in
Mulhouse for my Rhein Mosel tour)
Coaches are never the most comfortable way to travel on long trips but I
survived 3 trips ( Bayonne to Home 04, Home to Strasbourg and return 05,
and this years one way trip to Mulhouse) and the crews were friendly and
helpful!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

news:[email protected]...

Dan Gregory wrote:
> Pinky wrote:
>
>> So anyone wanting to get to Italy, or cycle the Danube Radweg will
>> have to travel extensively by train or fly there.

> Travelling by train is a joy compared to coach. Prices (once you have
> got to London at least) are just as attractive.
> See http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

It's cheap and convenient to get to London by train as long as you've got an
onward connection on the Eurostar.

Just ask for a ticket to London International. When you get a puzzled look,
reassure the person in the ticket office that it is a destination, and they
should find it.

It includes your transfer to Waterloo (or St Pancras, from 2008 onwards),
and lets you catch a later Eurostar if your train's delayed. There's no
restrictions on buying saver tickets, and it's cheaper than a normal saver
to London anyway.

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> Dan Gregory wrote:
>> Pinky wrote:
>>
>>> So anyone wanting to get to Italy, or cycle the Danube Radweg will
>>> have to travel extensively by train or fly there.

>> Travelling by train is a joy compared to coach. Prices (once you have
>> got to London at least) are just as attractive.
>> See http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

> It's cheap and convenient to get to London by train as long as you've got an
> onward connection on the Eurostar.
>
> Just ask for a ticket to London International. When you get a puzzled look,
> reassure the person in the ticket office that it is a destination, and they
> should find it.
>
> It includes your transfer to Waterloo (or St Pancras, from 2008 onwards),
> and lets you catch a later Eurostar if your train's delayed. There's no
> restrictions on buying saver tickets, and it's cheaper than a normal saver
> to London anyway.

Thanks for that. I did try on line the other day and the trainline (?@)
didn't unsderstand London International. Normally from here to London
can cost as much as Paris to Nimes...

"Ambrose Nankivell" <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan Gregory wrote:
>> Pinky wrote:
>>
>>> So anyone wanting to get to Italy, or cycle the Danube Radweg will
>>> have to travel extensively by train or fly there.

>> Travelling by train is a joy compared to coach. Prices (once you have
>> got to London at least) are just as attractive.
>> See http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

> It's cheap and convenient to get to London by train as long as you've got
> an onward connection on the Eurostar.
>
> Just ask for a ticket to London International. When you get a puzzled
> look, reassure the person in the ticket office that it is a destination,
> and they should find it.
>
> It includes your transfer to Waterloo (or St Pancras, from 2008 onwards),
> and lets you catch a later Eurostar if your train's delayed. There's no
> restrictions on buying saver tickets, and it's cheaper than a normal saver
> to London anyway.

The trouble is that Euro star says you have to send your bike on separately
( and a day ahead if you want to move on , on arrival. The train from Paris
to Venice also seems to preclude take a bike on it at all?

At least that 's what happens if I try the internet

I may give them a ring to see it it is a feasible route with my velo in
touring mode as opposed to parcel mode!

Another option is to get to Amsterdam and go on a weekly Dutch coach which
takes bikes all the way to Venice. So that would be ferry to Rotterdam, one
days ride to Amsterdam ( or even by train) and then no more worries, Bu the
Dutch coach only runs in July and August!

Still looking around and thinking about it.

--

Dan Gregory wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>> Dan Gregory wrote:

>>> Travelling by train is a joy compared to coach. Prices (once you
>>> have got to London at least) are just as attractive.
>>> See http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

>> It's cheap and convenient to get to London by train as long as
>> you've got an onward connection on the Eurostar.
>>
>> Just ask for a ticket to London International. When you get a
>> puzzled look, reassure the person in the ticket office that it is a
>> destination, and they should find it.
>>
>> It includes your transfer to Waterloo (or St Pancras, from 2008
>> onwards), and lets you catch a later Eurostar if your train's
>> delayed. There's no restrictions on buying saver tickets, and it's
>> cheaper than a normal saver to London anyway.

> Thanks for that. I did try on line the other day and the trainline
> (?@) didn't unsderstand London International. Normally from here to
> London can cost as much as Paris to Nimes...

No, it doesn't. And as it's the only online train ticket shop, it means a
trip to a station.

?* don't mention it either.

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
And as it's the only online train ticket shop, it means a
> trip to a station.

Which is 20 miles ... the nearest one is un(wo)manned

Pinky wrote:
> The trouble is that Euro star says you have to send your bike on separately
> ( and a day ahead if you want to move on , on arrival. The train from Paris
> to Venice also seems to preclude take a bike on it at all?
>
> At least that 's what happens if I try the internet
>
> I may give them a ring to see it it is a feasible route with my velo in
> touring mode as opposed to parcel mode!

Eurostar will take bikes without booking provided they are in parcel
mode - personal experience. Likewise any TGV. (On Eurostar, you would,
however, have to allow extra time to get the BikeParcel through
security as the xray machines and their attendants go wibble when faced
with an item made of metal.)

I know nothing about trailers from personal experience but applying the
same principle (ie, Parcel Mode Rules OK!) then my guess would be that
you would have to disguise the trailer in the same way. Worth checking
with the Eurostar desk at Waterloo perhaps? IME They've always been
very helpful in person and over the phone.

Lin

Pinky wrote:

> Another option is to get to Amsterdam and go on a weekly Dutch coach which
> takes bikes all the way to Venice. So that would be ferry to Rotterdam, one
> days ride to Amsterdam ( or even by train) and then no more worries, Bu the
> Dutch coach only runs in July and August!
>
> Still looking around and thinking about it.

Just been amusing myself looking and found
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/treni_stazioni/treni_internazionali/servizi_bordo.html#bici
linking to
http://www.trenitalia.com/it/92a9b2...52146184493a010VgnVCM1000001c42fe0aRCRD.shtml
so although the Artesia direct couchette trains need you to bag your
bike there are trains from Zurich to Paris & then from Zurich to Venice
which have fourgons still for bikes. More detailed questioning would
reveal which ones.
Nearly all couchette trains other than the Italian ones still take
bikes.. so perhaps entering via Ventimiglia & taking regional trains
from there via Milano or Torino would be another option.

Dan Gregory wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> And as it's the only online train ticket shop, it means a
>> trip to a station.

> Which is 20 miles ... the nearest one is un(wo)manned

Oops, forgot the old-fangled 'telephone', by which one can request tickets.

Ffestiniog Travel have a good reputation:

http://www.festtravel.co.uk/index.php?ffestiniog=tickets