European car-free day

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. This takes place on the 22nd IIRC. My other half's office (a govt department) is supporting this.
    What are they doing? Providing free hire bicycles for a day? Giving everyone who cycles in a
    rosette? Refunding people's bus fare? No. They are closing the car park, nothing else. The effect?
    All the staff will still drive in but they'll park round the corner on residential streets and piss
    off the residents. Clever, eh?

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > This takes place on the 22nd IIRC. My other half's office (a govt department) is supporting this.
    > What are they doing? Providing free hire bicycles for a day? Giving everyone who cycles in a
    > rosette? Refunding people's bus fare? No. They are closing the car park, nothing else. The effect?
    > All the staff will still drive in but they'll park round the corner on residential streets and
    > piss off the residents. Clever, eh?

    A good photo for the paper though -- look, all our staff walked to work (well, from just round
    the corner!!)

    : (

  3. Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > This takes place on the 22nd IIRC.

    I'm surprised how quiet things are for this day compared with last year (when I enjoyed Tower Bridge
    being shut for the Sunday).

    My guess is London only likes having car-free days when it occurs at the weekend.

    The only event I have seen so far is the party at Fulham.

    Anyone know any more ? (The Mayor of London site still seems to be talking about 2001 or 2002
    !)

    Regards, Tim