European food cultures

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by The Reids, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Ireland and UK are "potato and beer cultures".
    Italy is I suppose a wheat and wine culture.
    Spain, I cant decide, certainly wine.
    France: potato and wine?
    Can anyone draw a word map of the dominance of the potato, rice
    or wheat through Europe, along with beer and wine?
    --
    Mike Reid
    Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site

    Tags:

  2. The Reids <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ireland and UK are "potato and beer cultures".

    Depends whose household!

    We almost never have potatoes as the main carbohydrate in a meal. I use
    them quite a bit, in stews, curries etc. (yesterday in a Tortilla), also
    as accompaniments with rice- but rarely the main thing. I suppose the
    potato probably still dominates in the UK, but I wonder if that isn't
    changing...

    --
    David Horne- www.davidhorne.net

  3. quiqueg

    quiqueg Guest

    The Reids <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Ireland and UK are "potato and beer cultures".

    Germany too (Austria, Hungary etc. are more wheat-based...)

    > Italy is I suppose a wheat and wine culture.

    yup, though mostly in the north, corn (and to a lesser degree, rice) have
    had, especially in the past, a key role in nutrition. Until the late 1950s
    some parts of the north relied on little more than cornmeal for survival.

    > Spain, I cant decide, certainly wine.

    wheat, definately

    > France: potato and wine?

    imho, wheat. Think "baguette"

    > Can anyone draw a word map of the dominance of the potato, rice
    > or wheat through Europe, along with beer and wine?

    draw an imaginary and very blurred line mid-height through france and
    germany (and Poland, and so on). Below that line, wheat is the main source
    for carbs (including countries from northern Africa), Above the line,
    potato is.

    QQG

  4. Beer: England, Ireland, Germany (except Rhine region), Belgium,
    Netherlands, Denmark, Czech Republic

    Wine: Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Romania, Rhine region of Germany,
    Austria, Hungary, Greece

    Vodka: Russia, Sweden, Finland, Poland

  5. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    > Ireland and UK are "potato and beer cultures".
    > Italy is I suppose a wheat and wine culture.
    > Spain, I cant decide, certainly wine.
    > France: potato and wine?
    > Can anyone draw a word map of the dominance of the potato, rice
    > or wheat through Europe, along with beer and wine?

    Look at any decent Italian cookbook, and it is really only the south where
    Wheat (Pasta, bread) is the main culture.
    Up North it is much more potato/rice that prevails.

  6. The Reids wrote:

    > Can anyone draw a word map of the dominance of the potato, rice
    > or wheat through Europe, along with beer and wine?

    At the risk that this is just a snapshot: Iam sitting in my garden in
    the Munich suburbs and just had some wonderful salmon spaghetti with a
    glass of buttermilk :)

    My cellar accomodates changing beer specialities as well as some bottles
    of red Bordeaux (for myself) and other wines (for guests), even if I
    think the old saying

    | Wine is the stuff you drink when the beer is all gone |

    contains some truth for myself.

    Je"Southern Bavaria - Beer; Northern Bavaria (Franconia) - Wine"ns
    --
    POTIVS AMICVM QVAM DICTVM PERDERE

  7. Edmund Lewis

    Edmund Lewis Guest

    chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn wrote:
    > The Reids <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Ireland and UK are "potato and beer cultures".

    > Depends whose household!

    Yes, these days I think such "cultures" are becoming less relevant,
    what with increased availability of exotic food and changing
    agriculture. Loads of Brits eat rice and pasta. Go to a pub for a meal
    and you'll get asked "Chips or rice with that?" very often.

    > We almost never have potatoes as the main carbohydrate in a meal. I

    use
    > them quite a bit, in stews, curries etc. (yesterday in a Tortilla),

    Chips I suppose still keep the potato dominant to some extent. But I
    agree it's rare to have them as the only carb (chip butties, lasagne
    and chips anyone?).

    also
    > as accompaniments with rice- but rarely the main thing. I suppose the
    > potato probably still dominates in the UK, but I wonder if that isn't
    > changing...

    Mention "potato" to me and I think tasteless boiled things beloved of
    school caterers. (Love the baked and roasted ones though). Ditto
    "cabbage". Certainly in the last 20 years or so there's been a massive
    move away from these old staples. Many people in Britain under 40 have
    come to view old-style British food (shoe-leather meat; potatoes, peas
    and cabbage boiled to death etc) with the same distaste as Continentals
    long held. Can't say that's a bad thing.

    > --
    > David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
    > usenet (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk

    As far as drinks go, here the old boundaries still more or less exist.
    Beer: Britain, Ireland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden
    plus parts of France near German and Belgian borders.
    Wine: Spain, Italy, rest of France, Greece
    Also whisky in Scotland and Ireland and cider in a few enclaves (SW
    England, parts of N Spain and France).
    Switzerland is the one that's hard to call.

    Edmund

  8. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    The Reids wrote:
    > Ireland and UK are "potato and beer cultures".
    > Italy is I suppose a wheat and wine culture.
    > Spain, I cant decide, certainly wine.
    > France: potato and wine?
    > Can anyone draw a word map of the dominance of the potato, rice
    > or wheat through Europe, along with beer and wine?

    Potato: http://www.dpw.wageningen-ur.nl/eapr/links.htm

  9. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    The Reids wrote:
    > Ireland and UK are "potato and beer cultures".
    > Italy is I suppose a wheat and wine culture.
    > Spain, I cant decide, certainly wine.
    > France: potato and wine?
    > Can anyone draw a word map of the dominance of the potato, rice
    > or wheat through Europe, along with beer and wine?

    Potato: http://www.dpw.wageningen-ur.nl/eapr/links.htm

  10. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    The Reids wrote:
    > Ireland and UK are "potato and beer cultures".
    > Italy is I suppose a wheat and wine culture.
    > Spain, I cant decide, certainly wine.
    > France: potato and wine?
    > Can anyone draw a word map of the dominance of the potato, rice
    > or wheat through Europe, along with beer and wine?

    Potato: http://www.dpw.wageningen-ur.nl/eapr/links.htm

  11. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

  12. [email protected] schrieb:
    > Beer: England, Ireland, Germany (except Rhine region), Belgium,
    > Netherlands, Denmark, Czech Republic
    >
    > Wine: Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Romania, Rhine region of Germany,

    + Mosel, Suebia, Franconia and Saale = wine.

  15. [email protected] schrieb:
    > Beer: England, Ireland, Germany (except Rhine region), Belgium,
    > Netherlands, Denmark, Czech Republic
    >
    > Wine: Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Romania, Rhine region of Germany,

    + Mosel, Suebia, Franconia and Saale = wine.

    > Austria, Hungary, Greece
    >
    > Vodka: Russia, Sweden, Finland, Poland

  16. "The Reids" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can anyone draw a word map of the dominance of the potato, rice
    > or wheat through Europe, along with beer and wine?

    I once saw a map of what Americans most frequently call a non-alcoholic
    carbonated beverage. It was divided into regions of "Soda", "Pop", "Coke",
    and other based on responses from people on the Web.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

  17. dgs

    dgs Guest

    Jens Arne Maennig wrote:

    > [...]
    > Je"Southern Bavaria - Beer; Northern Bavaria (Franconia) - Wine"ns

    Northern Bavaria - Franconia, that is - has more breweries than southern
    Bavaria. The highest density of breweries breweries per square km in
    the world is in the Franconian region that centers on Bamberg.

    Of course, this is the same Franconia that has Würzburg, a city that
    once attempted to ban the brewing of beer in its territory. Beer won
    out, eventually, even there.
    --
    dgs

  18. dgs

    dgs Guest

    SeverinBohnheim wrote:

    > [email protected] schrieb:
    >
    >> Beer: England, Ireland, Germany (except Rhine region), Belgium,
    >> Netherlands, Denmark, Czech Republic
    >>
    >> Wine: Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Romania, Rhine region of Germany,

    > + Mosel, Suebia, Franconia and Saale = wine.

    Franconia is even more of a beer territory than a wine territory.
    --
    dgs

  19. yaofeng

    yaofeng Guest

    Straying a bit from the content but staying with the subject matter
    nonetheless, I was thinking about food in different countries the other
    day. One thing which strikes me is the unusually large number of "all
    you can eat" restaurants in the US. Within a 20 mile radius of where I
    live, I think I can easily find 20 all you can eat places. This is
    something I didn't find in the UK, France, Spain, etc... (I didn't find
    a single all you can eat places in aformentioned countries as a matter
    of fact.)

    Is it because I am a tourist and didn't know my way around where as in
    my own hometown I am familiar with the local environment? This is
    beside the fact that virtually all restaurants serve far larger
    portions as compared to countries from around the world.

    This naturally leads to unusually large number of obese people in the
    US, a subject covered and flammed by many on this board.