Eurosport highlight prog.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Tomlinson, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. Sunday night. Is everybody else getting this in german? I only have an old analogue setup. Now if it
    was in French I would understand about 10% but in German I have no chance.

    John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying

    Tags:

  2. "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in messag
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sunday night. Is everybody else getting this in german? I only have an old analogue setup. Now if
    > it was in French I would understand about 10% but in German I have no chance.

    ISTR there was a thread on this a few weeks ago.

    Someone contacted Eurosport and advised that the analogue feed was mainly a *production* feed for
    the main TX feed which is on the digital bird - in other words you aren't really *supposed* to be
    watching it and you could get *any* sound/pictures coming down it in any combination of languages.

    However there may be a long-stsnding arrangment that Germans get free analogue Eurosport (perhaps
    through the Deutsche Telekom cable TV networks) so there is always a German feed.

    As a former TV broadcast engineer it seems an odd way to run things; but perhaps Eurosport get a
    cheap(er) circuit off Telekom for doing this....

    Alex

  3. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in messag
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Sunday night. Is everybody else getting this in german? I only have an old analogue setup. Now
    > > if it was in French I would understand about 10% but in German I have no chance.
    > >
    > ISTR there was a thread on this a few weeks ago.
    >
    > Someone contacted Eurosport and advised that the analogue feed was
    mainly a
    > *production* feed for the main TX feed which is on the digital bird -
    in
    > other words you aren't really *supposed* to be watching it and you
    could get
    > *any* sound/pictures coming down it in any combination of languages.

    The race itself was in English Language, but the preview and after report was in German. I'm sure
    Mike Smith in Paris said he would present the after race part. Mike

  4. On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:48:23 +0100, "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm sure Mike Smith in Paris said he would present the after race part. Mike

    But was he just refering to the British Eurosport coverage?

    John T.

    Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  5. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:48:23 +0100, "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm sure Mike Smith in Paris said he would present the after race part. Mike
    > >

    > But was he just refering to the British Eurosport coverage?

    You're right of course. Same thing happened today, highlights with no sound, then interviews in
    German language. Mike

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sunday night. Is everybody else getting this in german? I only have an old analogue setup. Now if
    > it was in French I would understand about 10% but in German I have no chance.

    Same problem. I got my old analogue receiver out the shed for the occasion and was euphoric on Sat
    when it worked but missed the daytime transmission yesterday as I was out....riding....and of
    course the ruddy highlights were in German (makes note to learn German next autumn). Just picked
    up another scart connector to hook the receiver up to the VCR so tommorrow everything should be
    peachy again :)

    Pete

  7. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] thing happened today,
    highlights with
    > no sound, then interviews in German language.
    Just back from Paris and it was the same there on my hotel TV. Horrible buzzing or German, although
    the Isle of Man TT was in good quality English. I put it down to Blair, Berlusconi & Murdoch ....
    All the best Dan Gregory

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:48:23 +0100, "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm sure Mike Smith in Paris said he would present the after race part. Mike
    > > >

    > > But was he just refering to the British Eurosport coverage?
    >
    > You're right of course. Same thing happened today, highlights with no sound, then interviews in
    > German language.

    Have you got the right sound channels selected in Set Up???

  9. On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:22:33 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have you got the right sound channels selected in Set Up???

    I have switched through all the audio channels - its all German :-(

    JT Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  10. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:22:33 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Have you got the right sound channels selected in Set Up???
    > >
    > I have switched through all the audio channels - its all German :-(

    Kein problem :)

    Thank god its not in French -- then no-one civilised would understand it.

  11. W K

    W K Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:lb[email protected]...
    > > Sunday night. Is everybody else getting this in german? I only have an old analogue setup. Now
    > > if it was in French I would understand about 10% but in German I have no chance.
    >
    > Same problem. I got my old analogue receiver out the shed for the
    occasion
    > and was euphoric on Sat when it worked but missed the daytime transmission yesterday as I was
    > out....riding....and of course the ruddy highlights
    were
    > in German (makes note to learn German next autumn).

    Swing it round to 13 degrees. There's late night highlights in French on TV5 ... sometimes.

  12. W K

    W K Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:22:33 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Have you got the right sound channels selected in Set Up???
    > > >
    > > I have switched through all the audio channels - its all German :-(
    >
    > Kein problem :)
    >
    > Thank god its not in French -- then no-one civilised would understand it.

    Actually it sounds like they are all in the same van/building. Whenever anything interesting happens
    the French commontators drown out the germans.

    On Sunday morning it was all in French (twiddling with Millars bike and whinging). At 9:25 it was
    boxing in english.

    Finally - for blow by blow coverage on the radio - 164 Long wave. Heard about the single "escapee"
    being caught up on it.

  13. Ngarn75125

    Ngarn75125 Guest

    A friend sent me this:

    There is a fix, at present. If you go to the menu on your satellite receiver and locate the Audio
    settings - mine says "Frequency" but it is the Sub Carrier on some - it probably shows 7.02 MHz. If
    you change that up to 7.38, you regain the English commentary. I assume this is the feed used by
    British Eurosport, as the adverts don't match those on the picture any more, but who cares if you
    can at least get a commentary to match the action. On some sytems the change needs to select "Audio
    Channel 3". Thanks to Andrew of Gloucester and "Hetchins" for elucidating on the "Your feedback in
    English" part of Eurosport's website!! The guess is that Sky have made some deal with Eurosport,
    whereby they conspire to force the Brits to sign up with Sky, despite the Digital coverage of
    British Eurosport wiping out our cycling with any abysmal British contributions to other so-called
    sports. When all else fails, my friend Nick Rosenthal will tell us all how to get the best deal to
    access the free (once you have bought the kit) French digital coverage of cycling.

    In article <[email protected]>, John Tomlinson
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >Sunday night. Is everybody else getting this in german? I only have an old analogue setup. Now if
    >it was in French I would understand about 10% but in German I have no chance.
    >
    >John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying

    Nick: to reply remove 'goaway'

  14. On 09 Jul 2003 19:32:12 GMT, [email protected] (NGarn75125) wrote:

    >A friend sent me this:
    >
    >There is a fix, at present. If you go to the menu on your satellite receiver and locate the Audio
    >settings - mine says "Frequency" but it is the Sub Carrier on some - it probably shows 7.02 MHz. If
    >you change that up to 7.38, you regain the English commentary.

    Sorry this does not work.

  15. On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 20:26:34 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sunday night. Is everybody else getting this in german? I only have an old analogue setup. Now if
    >it was in French I would understand about 10% but in German I have no chance.

    Yes - I complained to Eurosport. Here's their reply:

    >Hi Peter,
    >
    >Thank you for your interest.
    >
    >The Eurosport feed in analogue on Astra is still available in English and German language (7.02 Mhz
    >for English audio, 7.20 Mhz for German audio). However, although the English commentary is
    >maintained, this signal is principally for the German market since Britain has now for some years a
    >version specific to them which is British Eurosport, available on cable operators and via the Sky
    >platform.
    >
    >Therefore, there are now some German "programming windows" on this signal, in which we broadcast
    >programming specifically for the German market. These windows are in German language only, both on
    >the English audio and the German audio feed. So if in general you require the English commentary,
    >please don't adjust your receiver away from 7.02 MHz. As soon as the German window has finished,
    >the commentary will return to English language.
    >
    >There are also some other production feeds on this satellite, these are not aimed at viewers and
    >the audio feeds will change frequently.
    >
    >It is not the aim of Eurosport to provide free to air programming outside of the German market
    >and although this analogue feed continues, there will not be an English language free to air
    >digital feed.
    >
    >British Eurosport is a pay channel available on all satellite platforms and nearly all cable
    >operators. Please contact your local distributor directly.
    >
    >We hope this answers the issues you have raised,
    >
    >British Eurosport.

    Guess we've lost out. I shall be buying a Freeview box so I can watch it on ITV2 (7pm every
    evening so far).

    Maybe if enough people complain then they _might_ change their minds but I doubt it (at least if you
    all e-mail they will know how many people watch(ed) it in English.
    --

    Peter Crighton Email To: [email protected]

  16. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    Peter Crighton <[email protected]> writes:

    > Guess we've lost out. I shall be buying a Freeview box so I can watch it on ITV2 (7pm every
    > evening so far). Maybe if enough people complain then they _might_ change their minds but I doubt
    > it (at least if you all e-mail they will know how many people watch(ed) it in English.

    The ITV2 highlights show is much better than the Eurosport hightlights show.

  17. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Swing it round to 13 degrees. There's late night highlights in French on
    TV5
    > ... sometimes.

    I don't have a problem so long as I remember to set the VCR for the daytime transmission :) Also I
    see ITV1 transmit the highlights at 01:45 so I will tape as well.

    Pete

  18. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 10 Jul 2003 22:27:31 +0100, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The ITV2 highlights show is much better than the Eurosport hightlights show.

    I'd agree with that, Paul.

    The Eurosport highlights show is merely a truncated version of the longer programme whereas the ITV2
    seems to be more carefully prepared,
    IMO. Also, if I knew nothing about cycling - and I don't know a great deal - I'd far prefer to watch
    the ITV2 transmission. Actually, I watch 'em both as well as the full Eurosport programme.

    James