Eurosport News Announces Cofidis Cycling Team Suspends Operation

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chumpito, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Chumpito

    Chumpito Guest

    From Eurosport.com "Cofidis Suspends Team"

    "Embattled cycling outfit Cofidis have suspended their team in the
    face of revelations about their inquiry into alleged drug taking. A
    team statement said that recent allegations meant that they would not
    compete in Sunday's Paris-Roubaix and subsequent races until they deem
    it appropriate to return."

    Poor Stuart O'Grady, he just came on board this year. This thing with
    Kelme and Cofidis is getting scary. French Papers are now saying
    Gaumont is implicating David Millar. I did not believe that cycling
    was doping widespread, but I am now having second thoughts about that
    with all the revelations coming forth. I believe they are too
    detailed to just dismiss as sour grapes. Will it continue with every
    pro cyclist who feels slighted coming forth with new revelations? Or
    those who are now caught doping will they take suit and spill the
    beans because everyone is starting to come out? I'm almost afraid of
    the news that will come forth in the future. Should we be worried
    about that?

    Chumpito

    Tags:

  2. tispectrum

    tispectrum Guest

    PARIS, April 9 (Reuters) - French cycling team Cofidis, rocked by a doping
    scandal for the last four months, decided on Friday to quit competition
    until further notice to give itself "the time and means to clarify the
    situation".

    Earlier this year, the team sacked Philippe Gaumont and suspended two other
    riders, Cedric Vasseur and Mederic Clain, charged on doping grounds
    following the arrest of a former team rider found with doping products in
    January.

    "From today, and for the time that will be necessary, Cofidis will not enter
    teams at the start of races," Cofidis said in a statement.

    The decision came on the day French sports daily l'Equipe published official
    documents from the investigation accusing Cofidis riders and team staff of
    dealing and taking doping substances.

    The French team has complained about seeing documents in the press that they
    had been unable to obtain for their defence.

    "That is why Cofidis is taking the case to court for breaching of the
    investigation secrecy," the team statement said.

    The first impact of Friday's decision will be seen on Sunday when Cofidis
    riders will not take part in the Paris-Roubaix World Cup classic.

    "Chumpito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > From Eurosport.com "Cofidis Suspends Team"
    >
    > "Embattled cycling outfit Cofidis have suspended their team in the
    > face of revelations about their inquiry into alleged drug taking. A
    > team statement said that recent allegations meant that they would not
    > compete in Sunday's Paris-Roubaix and subsequent races until they deem
    > it appropriate to return."
    >
    > Poor Stuart O'Grady, he just came on board this year. This thing with
    > Kelme and Cofidis is getting scary. French Papers are now saying
    > Gaumont is implicating David Millar. I did not believe that cycling
    > was doping widespread, but I am now having second thoughts about that
    > with all the revelations coming forth. I believe they are too
    > detailed to just dismiss as sour grapes. Will it continue with every
    > pro cyclist who feels slighted coming forth with new revelations? Or
    > those who are now caught doping will they take suit and spill the
    > beans because everyone is starting to come out? I'm almost afraid of
    > the news that will come forth in the future. Should we be worried
    > about that?
    >
    > Chumpito

  3. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Chumpito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > From Eurosport.com "Cofidis Suspends Team"
    >
    > "Embattled cycling outfit Cofidis have suspended their team in the
    > face of revelations about their inquiry into alleged drug taking. A
    > team statement said that recent allegations meant that they would not
    > compete in Sunday's Paris-Roubaix and subsequent races until they deem
    > it appropriate to return."
    >
    > Poor Stuart O'Grady, he just came on board this year.

    Matthew White, Igor Astarloa and Jimmy Casper just joined, too.

    -Sonarrat.

  4. "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Chumpito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> From Eurosport.com "Cofidis Suspends Team"
    >>
    >> "Embattled cycling outfit Cofidis have suspended their team in the
    >> face of revelations about their inquiry into alleged drug taking. A
    >> team statement said that recent allegations meant that they would not
    >> compete in Sunday's Paris-Roubaix and subsequent races until they deem
    >> it appropriate to return."
    >>
    >> Poor Stuart O'Grady, he just came on board this year.

    > Matthew White, Igor Astarloa and Jimmy Casper just joined, too.

    Yes, a tragedy.

    It looks like the death of bike racing as we know it.

    --
    le Vent a Dos
    Davey Crockett

  5. Dopey

    Dopey Guest

    "Chumpito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm almost afraid of
    > the news that will come forth in the future. Should we be worried
    > about that?

    Do not be afraid. The UCI is working with WADA to solve the meanace of
    drugs which are being used by losers and disgruntled failures. The sport is
    now at least 90% clean if not more so. The clean riders, such as Lance
    Armstrong, must continue to speak out for the clean ones.

    I will be on vacation for the next month is Central Asia, looking at
    possible venues for the World Road Championships. Some agracultural
    interests in Western Afghanistan say they may want to sponsor the events.
    They tell me they raise flowers that are every bit as colorful as our Dutch
    tulips.

    Until I return, I would advise all cyclists to, "Just say NO!" Dare to race
    clean!

  6. Nev Shea

    Nev Shea Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in news:107e3s72f625j85
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > "Chumpito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> From Eurosport.com "Cofidis Suspends Team"
    >>
    >> "Embattled cycling outfit Cofidis have suspended their team in the
    >> face of revelations about their inquiry into alleged drug taking. A
    >> team statement said that recent allegations meant that they would not
    >> compete in Sunday's Paris-Roubaix and subsequent races until they deem
    >> it appropriate to return."
    >>
    >> Poor Stuart O'Grady, he just came on board this year.

    > Matthew White, Igor Astarloa and Jimmy Casper just joined, too.

    Suspending opertions may be the best thing that happens this season to
    the guys that joined this cursed team. First Cofidis gave Armstrong
    cancer (and visited him in the hospital to cancel his contract), then VDB
    had his mental problems, then Kivelev got killed . . . and I won't even
    mention the "emotionally fragile" David Millar -- oops, I just did.

    So Matt, Igor and Jimmy -- run for your lives and count your blessings.

    NS

  7. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: Davey Crockett [email protected]

    >It looks like the death of bike racing as we know it.
    >
    >--
    >le Vent a Dos
    >Davey Crockett

    Hey Davey
    Is that a bad thing?
    Just a point to consider.
    Bill C

  8. [email protected] (TritonRider) writes:

    >>From: Davey Crockett [email protected]

    >>It looks like the death of bike racing as we know it.
    >>
    >>--
    >>le Vent a Dos
    >>Davey Crockett

    > Hey Davey
    > Is that a bad thing?
    > Just a point to consider.
    > Bill C

    Right. The hell with bike racing.

    The upcoming pissing match, Gaumont versus the rest, will be much more amusing......

    --
    le Vent a Dos
    Davey Crockett
    Six-Day site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  9. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: Davey Crockett [email protected]

    >Right. The hell with bike racing.
    >

    >le Vent a Dos
    >Davey Crockett

    So your saying that bike racing has to be the way it is today?
    Looks like Hockey is going to shut down in a labor dispute to fix fundamental
    problems that could end the sport at the professional level for good.
    I think that a major adjustment in cycling is needed too. Unfortunately the
    polls of French kids and most of Europe point to doping being acceptable, and
    even approved.
    If that's how it's going to go we need to have it removed from the Olympics
    and make it a "gladiator" sport.
    Let's make the line winning or ODing? Eh?
    Bill C
    P.S.
    I don't think Museeuw is doping, and I do think he is what a bike racer should
    try to be.

  10. > It looks like the death of bike racing as *we know it*.

    That may be the key. Recently *as we know it* really isn't what we want
    it to be is it?

    I for one would like to see it cleaned up and returned as something
    improved... will it happen? One can only hope.

  11. Dopey wrote:

    > "Chumpito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> I'm almost afraid of
    >>the news that will come forth in the future. Should we be worried
    >>about that?

    > Do not be afraid. The UCI is working with WADA to solve the meanace of
    > drugs which are being used by losers and disgruntled failures. The sport is
    > now at least 90% clean if not more so. The clean riders, such as Lance
    > Armstrong, must continue to speak out for the clean ones.
    >
    > I will be on vacation for the next month is Central Asia, looking at
    > possible venues for the World Road Championships. Some agracultural
    > interests in Western Afghanistan say they may want to sponsor the events.
    > They tell me they raise flowers that are every bit as colorful as our Dutch
    > tulips.
    >
    > Until I return, I would advise all cyclists to, "Just say NO!" Dare to race
    > clean!

    :^O