Eurus Rims and Tire Mounting

slide

Jun 4, 2006
I am having a very difficult time mounting and dismounting tires on my Eurus rims. I've yet to find a tire which goes on or off reasonably easily nor have I found one which is easy enough to make field tube repair possible w/o carrying my 14" steel levers (ugh). I can't say I've tried them all. So far only last year's Conti Ultra Gatorskins and Conti 4000's.

I'm ready for a new set of tires. My two requirements are some modicum of puncture resistance and at least the possibility of getting them on / off in the field. Can anyone with these *#&# rims offer a suggestion? Given the persistence of flatting in bicycling, I'm surprised that there is not more mention of tire mounting ease.

Also when I removed the rim tape, I noted a green plastic strip clearly meant to shield the tube from the nipples. Does this green plastic strip replace normal rim tape? I bought the bike used so the tape may have been added by the PO. It looks to me as if the tube would be all right and protected from the nipples with just the green plastic, but I'm not sure.

Any additional information about green plastic and easy to mount tires greatly appreciated.

slide said:
I am having a very difficult time mounting and dismounting tires on my Eurus rims. I've yet to find a tire which goes on or off reasonably easily nor have I found one which is easy enough to make field tube repair possible w/o carrying my 14" steel levers (ugh). I can't say I've tried them all. So far only last year's Conti Ultra Gatorskins and Conti 4000's.

I'm ready for a new set of tires. My two requirements are some modicum of puncture resistance and at least the possibility of getting them on / off in the field. Can anyone with these *#&# rims offer a suggestion? Given the persistence of flatting in bicycling, I'm surprised that there is not more mention of tire mounting ease.

Also when I removed the rim tape, I noted a green plastic strip clearly meant to shield the tube from the nipples. Does this green plastic strip replace normal rim tape? I bought the bike used so the tape may have been added by the PO. It looks to me as if the tube would be all right and protected from the nipples with just the green plastic, but I'm not sure.

Any additional information about green plastic and easy to mount tires greatly appreciated.
I use Hutchinson Fusion Comps on my 2005 Eurus' and '04 Proton's. I haven't experienced any problems mounting them, although I have heard the stories of Campy rims being tight. I heard Michelins are super tough to mount on Eurus' as well. I use the plastic rim strips that came with the wheels and they seem to work fine. Check them periodically for cuts though.

serenaslu said:
Sounds like you just have rim tape mounted over Michelin-style Rim Strips see:
http://www.velotec.ie/product_info.php/cPath/28/products_id/47?osCsid=43a7fe5f570cefeede8b2442a3047302

Some of my colleagues swear by them other's despise them. Like GClark said having two tapesets is not going to make the job any easier.:(
Yes! That's it. So I did have two rim tapes and both were rather thick. No wonder I was having problems. Curiously, after making myself crazy putting on the 4000's and pinching yet another tube, I took the tire into a shop where they too had problems. They never investigated the double rim tape issue.

PeterF said:
I use Hutchinson Fusion Comps on my 2005 Eurus' and '04 Proton's. I haven't experienced any problems mounting them, although I have heard the stories of Campy rims being tight. I heard Michelins are super tough to mount on Eurus' as well. I use the plastic rim strips that came with the wheels and they seem to work fine. Check them periodically for cuts though.
I shall give that tire a try. I hoped to buy some Michelin Carbons from Performance taking advantage of the 10% sale today only. HOwever, the Web site malfunctioned making my entering the 10% coupon impossible. Thus I haven't ordered anything yet.

I'm new to bicycling. Of all the aspects of cycling, I find flats and tire changes to be the most troublesome.

Are you inflating to the correct pressure using a floor pump and a gauge?

slide said:
I shall give that tire a try. I hoped to buy some Michelin Carbons from Performance taking advantage of the 10% sale today only. HOwever, the Web site malfunctioned making my entering the 10% coupon impossible. Thus I haven't ordered anything yet.

I'm new to bicycling. Of all the aspects of cycling, I find flats and tire changes to be the most troublesome.
You can pick them up now for $25 a piece at Performance. FWIW, I buy three at a time since the front outlasts the rear 2/1.

I've heard many times of people having trouble mounting Conti and Mich tires on Campy wheelsets. I think the Campy's just don't like those brands. However, I haven't heard of too many issues with other tires like Vredestein, Vittoria, Hutch, Veloflex, etc.

I've had fairly easy mounts of 6 or 7 new Vred Fortezza's & Tri-Comp's on my Zondas, except for one tire that was impossible to mount, so I exchanged it and the next one went on fine.

Get rid of the hard plastic strips that came with the wheels and use Velox cloth tape. The plastic strips will dry out over time and tend to crack anyway, then you'll start getting flats.

Wurm said:
I've heard many times of people having trouble mounting Conti and Mich tires on Campy wheelsets. I think the Campy's just don't like those brands. However, I haven't heard of too many issues with other tires like Vredestein, Vittoria, Hutch, Veloflex, etc.

I've had fairly easy mounts of 6 or 7 new Vred Fortezza's & Tri-Comp's on my Zondas, except for one tire that was impossible to mount, so I exchanged it and the next one went on fine.

Get rid of the hard plastic strips that came with the wheels and use Velox cloth tape. The plastic strips will dry out over time and tend to crack anyway, then you'll start getting flats.
I concur about the Vredestein Fortezza's. No problem at all mounting them on my Proton's. I don't know about you, but I have a certain comfort level with the tightness of the campy rims.

PeterF said:
I concur about the Vredestein Fortezza's. No problem at all mounting them on my Proton's. I don't know about you, but I have a certain comfort level with the tightness of the campy rims.
If it's true that Campy's rims are a tad larger in circumference, then it's OK by me. Never hurts to have a slightly tighter fit.

slide said:

It's not the tires, its the Campy wheels. Campy wheels have a reputation of being difficult to mount tires regardless of tire make. They are a tad bit larger in diameter vis-a-vis other wheels. The problem gets worse when mounting French brand tires. Vittorias are easier to mount on campy wheels.

Yeah, Campy rims are famous for this, but having two layers of rim tape is part of your particular problem. Most people prefer the Velox tape to the plastic kind. Before you rush out and buy some Michelin tires be forwarned that, while they are good tires, they have a reputation as being the hardest to mount on Campy rims. As a previous poster has noted, Vittorias are easier.

gclark8 said:
Are you inflating to the correct pressure using a floor pump and a gauge?
Yes. How does inflation pressure relate to trouble with changing the tires?

jmoryl said:
Yeah, Campy rims are famous for this, but having two layers of rim tape is part of your particular problem. Most people prefer the Velox tape to the plastic kind. Before you rush out and buy some Michelin tires be forwarned that, while they are good tires, they have a reputation as being the hardest to mount on Campy rims. As a previous poster has noted, Vittorias are easier.
I went with the Hutch Fusions as recommended and got them from Performance since the Web site started functioning again. I'll use only the green tape and see if things go easier. They should be here by Wednesday.

I don't have the experience with bikes to compare different wheelsets. The Eurus' are my first road wheelset, but based on the reaction from the LBS I went to to mount the 4000's, I wasn't alone in struggling.

Personally speaking, I'd trade ease in on/off in the field for some sort of security of an oversized wheel. I live in the desert mountains so thorns are standard with our local plants. Then we have staples, nails and glass which are common all around. I have to either carry 14" (35 cm) levers with me or walk home with the Conti / Eurus combo. I hope the Fusions give me a shot at field repairs with my VAR tool. Thanks all.

I've been running Michelin Krylium Carbon and Pro Race on my '06 Eurus wheels. Yeah, they are harder to mount than on my Ksyrium SL's, but not prohibitively so. They go on the Ksyrium's really easily, and with a bit of a finger-pain fight on the Eurus. But nothing too difficult. As has been said, Campy's are generally tighter, and that may not be a bad thing. Once you have it figured out, it just takes a little more patience and time getting smaller bits of the last clincher edge over the rim. Seems like it won't fit, but slowly it will.

Best of luck.

I'm not good at mounting tires either on bicycles or motorcycles. It's something I accept as a talent I don't have and I'll never have no matter how many neat tools or coaching I get. Also the double taping had to work against me.

I'll see what happens with the Fusions. Personally speaking, I'm ready for tubeless tires on road bikes The sooner the better.

Why are you using 2 rim strips? It shouldn't be neccessary.

And if you have such puncture-prone road conditions, then maybe you should be using a more puncture resistant tire than the Fusion's or GP4000's. What was wrong with the Ultra Gatorskins other than mounting problems?

You also should not need a tire lever that's 14" long - that's ridiculous. :rolleyes: Standard levers should work if you have a normal amount of manual dexterity.

I found two rim strips. I guess the PO or his LBS installed a second one. I took one off to do a regular inspection to find that there was the green plastic one underneath. Until then, I had no idea.

I have no explanation of why I can't get tires on and off these rims. I have better than normal dexterity and much more strength than common in bicycle riders. I thought the 4000's were tough until I tried the Gatorskins.

They were impossible to the point of being silly.

I use Vredstein Fortezzas. They go on reasonably okay. The only problem I had with Michelins was that is seemed to be a lot easier to puncture the tube while getting the last twenty centimeters of tire mounted.

You might want to get a pair of Soma steel core tire levers. I don't have a pair but a lot of people with Campy rims swear by them.