Eurus Rims and Tire Mounting

I'll see how my VAR tool (new to me) works on the Fusions (here tomorrow) and then see if I need the Soma levers.

I started road riding with a borrowed bike & no name wheels. I could get tires on w/o tools and off easily using my Crank Bros leverless tool. I thought all wheelsets were like this and then I bought my own bike with these Eurus'....

After the first mounting, the tires should come off and go back on easier, in case of a flat, etc.

Just look at it as a good wrenchin' experience! ;) It could be worse: you could have shitty wheels that mount certain tires hard.

Well, I'm a shi**y riders with great wheels. I'd prefer the other way around. BTW, the 4000's didn't seem to loosen up at all after having been on for over 1.800 km.

Didn't have too much trouble getting Vittorias onto my Zondas. Perhaps a tad tight, but I'd rather have a bit too tight than a bit too loose.

Reminds me of when I bought a new set of tubulars. I thought they had sent me 650's instead of 700's, there was no way they would fit. Then I remembered that new tubies need to be stretched. Dig out an old tubie rim, stretch the tires onto them, let them sit for several days. Much better, now I can get them onto the actual wheelset without getting glue everywhere.

Definitely should be only one green plastic strip on the rim, though. I could see how having two would make for a tough install.

JohnO said:
Then I remembered that new tubies need to be stretched.
If more people would remember that, there wouldn't be so much carping about how "bad" sew-ups are to mount!

Still waiting for my Vred Fortezza Pro's to arrive, but then I'll still have to cool my jets for a few more days to allow for stretch-time. :(

Tubies will either teach you patience...or insanity! This may be why I don't look at mounting tires on Campy clinchers as the worst of situations. :D

I put the Fusions on today finding them enormously easier going than the Conti 4000's. Of course, I also had the second layer of rim tape removed which may have helped as well.

Even so, they didn't go on easily. I suppose what I've been told over and over that the Campag wheels are oversize is true. Some have said they like this, but I don't. I have the bizarre belief that all things should be the right size. While I'm overall happy with these wheels, I doubt I'll buy another set of Campag wheels again. I'd rather get the right sized wheels and skip the bragging rights of having Campagnolo Eurus wheels for all the world to see. Since I'm a crummy rider anyway, it's more an embarassment than a real brag.

It's more than just bragging rights - they're actually very good wheels (I'm talking about the '05 and earlier Eurus' & the '03 Zonda, not the '06 versions).

Just ride the snot out of them, getting as much mileage as you can. That will do more for you than any equipment change. Remember what Eddy said: "Don't buy upgrades. Ride UP grades."

;)

Mine are 05's. For me, living in thorn country, a wheel requirement is easy tire change. I don't want to ride with heavy tubes, sealant, liners and then add something like Gatorskins which others do. I'd rather accept flatting from time to time and be able to address it.

I noted yesterday that some of the puncture weeds are sprouting so we're getting into season. <sigh>