Euskatel :

i am very glad that the team will continue, even though it will be more of a spanish team than a return to the basque roots. even stranger that contador is rumoured to be jumping to the squad very soon.

I don't see such a move by Contador improving his chances in the TdF or the Giro.

As a Basque myself, I'm quite disappointed to see it all end, but having Alonso come in and buy the license to ensure that a Spanish team survives is much better than seeing them disappear altogether, or God forbid, having them fall victim to someone like Tinkov. Frankly, they weren't really able to compete in the new era of mega-bucks professional cycling anyway. It will be a shame to see all the Euskaltel orange disappear from the sides of the road, but we will always have thousands of Basque flags waving in the Pyrenees.

Quote: Originally Posted by slovakguy .
i doubt much would keep the basque fans off the tourmalet's roadside in july.

big-smile.png

well, my hat is off to honour pat mc quaid's leadership of the uci. another team unable to secure sponsorship will be see its flag fall. so long, euskie! at least pat and hein can point to the stunning success of the tour of beijing while even more history rich races in cycling's heartlands go begging.

Reactions: limerickman
Quote: Originally Posted by slovakguy .
well, my hat is off to honour pat mc quaid's leadership of the uci. another team unable to secure sponsorship will be see its flag fall. so long, euskie! at least pat and hein can point to the stunning success of the tour of beijing while even more history rich races in cycling's heartlands go begging.

I think we moved from spitting into the soup, to pissing throughout the soup.
It's imperative that McQuaid isn't re-elected as UCI head bottle washer

I'd like to know what happened between Euskatel and Alonso. Alonso seemed--and still does--to be gung ho about sponsoring a team. So now, instead of getting some compensation for their team, they get nothing. I assume that McQuaid or any of his underlings did nothing to make that deal work.

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

I'd like to know what happened between Euskatel and Alonso. Alonso seemed--and still does--to be gung ho about sponsoring a team. So now, instead of getting some compensation for their team, they get nothing. I assume that McQuaid or any of his underlings did nothing to make that deal work.

I dunno whether McQ did or didn't to be honest with you.