Evangelical Disconnect

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by bkaapcke, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I knew what your were talking about. I was just bustin your chops :D

Before I accepted Christ I had people trying to convince me in that manner. I know they meant well, but it was the wrong way or perhaps the wrong time.

Both, but the C'dale six13 is my favorite

2. C'dale Girl

C'dale Girl New Member

Well, thank goodness your screen name isn't C'dale Rider then. People might get the wrong idea around here then . . . :eek:

3. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

When I took French in high school, we had to read French textbooks. I mean, history textbooks written in French, for French kids. Very interesting. If you really want to know who saved civilization...it was... Charles de Gaulle...:rolleyes: (you know, the guy who built that airport ...[​IMG]...)

Anyway...this book mentioned the United States' role in WWII in only two different sentences. Two sentences. The year we entered the war, and I believe there was a mention of an Allied invasion of France. One mention of that. The rest...all Charles de Gaulle...so that explained a lot to me about Euro attitudes and "what they teach kids in schools these days"...particularly the French.

Right now I guess all children of all Western nations are just busy learning how to recycle...

4. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

:confused: I did not discuss their motivations, except to say they were not dying for the establishment of liberal democracy.

It sounds like you've been saving that up for oh, about 5 years, but how do you apply that to a statment that the hijackers did not act to liberalize Saudi Arabia?

5. garage sale GT

Yeah, like you don't want Record or Dura-Ace.

6. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

I misunderstood your post that I used as a prompt. But it is germane to the issue being discussed at the time. Just ignore the first sentence. It is a critique of the Bush Administration's foreign policy which you seem to be defending.

7. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

That brings the thread back to original topic: Dangerous bible thumpers. They don't do much harm when they corner you at a family reunion but have done untold damage as they have combined to set the foreign policy agenda of the U.S. These are people who are incapable of seeing situations from multiple points of view. Everything is always seen through the lense of religious fervor. To make matters worse there is a belief amongst a significant portion of the religious right that the U.S. is god's country, and they see everything in terms of good and evil, with the U.S. always playing the part of good. They are like sociopaths; they simply cannot feel empathy for any country or any people that sides against the U.S. That makes them capable of immense harm when they have control of the military means of the U.S.

8. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

This is totally off topic...but do you think the Clintons had anything to do with John Edwards getting busted? Just throwing that out there...

9. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Hillary's team revealed it to torpedo him as a possible vice presidential candidate? Possible. I am not sure how probable Edwards was of being chosen as VP. He was not very effective as Kerry's choice. It might not make sense for the Clintons to damage him. Then again, the Clintons have always been extremely vindictive, and Bill is angry as hell that he has been tarred with the racist brush.

McCain has to be a little worried about this. He has a long history of cheating on his wives, right up to the present.

10. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

Well that's what I thought, he wasn't likely to be picked anyway...but it's certainly not beneath them... :p Did you see that clip of the Daily Show with Edward's "explanation." Why does anyone consent to an interview about that kind of thing?

I personally don't want to know any of this stuff...

11. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

He should have wagged his finger at the camera and empatically said, "I did not have sex with that woman." Or maybe he could have gone for the Jimmy Swaggart approach: Break down and cry while exclaiming, "I have sinned!"

12. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

LOL...that would be perfect for a politician...because after that, Jimmy Swaggart went on to say...write me the biggest check you can.... ;)

13. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

This requires the "I have sinned" action photo.

[​IMG]

14. wolfix

wolfix New Member

John Edwards did this. What was he thinking? The woman is a flake. John Edwards better be careful that the money paid to her for the care of his baby was not out of his funds.

Just imagine if Edwards was the nominee?

If Edwards situatuion was revealed earlier, before Iowa, Obama would be a footnote in history now , instead of in November. Hilary knows this, and the Dems are now nervous about the upcoming weeks. Obama is slipping fast. The longer he is in the public eye, the more he slips in the polls.

15. ndbiker

ndbiker New Member

I thought he was on a crusade because of oil now it's about religion? I do not remember the president ever saying one word against the religion of Islam only against those who use the religion as justification for blowing up buildings or other people.

16. C'dale Girl

C'dale Girl New Member

I sincerely do not get why we as a people think a politician's personal affairs are our business. I'm not married to the guy, so I couldn't care less whether he's cheating on his wife. As long as he's doing his damn job to the best of his abilities . . . that's all that matters to me. Whether or not Bill Clinton is getting hummers in the Oval Office has no bearing on my life, unless it interferes with his ability to do his job. Heck, if it cleared his mind so he could think more clearly regarding some big decision . . . have more Bill.

Instead, we made it a collosal affair so that the entire "scandal" SURELY weighed on his mind and interfered with his abilities to do the job we actually paid him to do.

17. wolfix

wolfix New Member

It's about oil when it"s convenient, and religion when it's convenient.I never remember a government policy of the Bush adm based on religion.But then I never hang around coffee shops drinking latte and following the gospel of a frustrated university professor. *I am too busy enjoying the benefits of a capitolist society that America provides.
    Benefits such as this lunch yesterday............
    Texas............Black Angus............Brown eyed Latino women......... A guy just has to love this country.

* Of course, I occasionlly have to explain to my two 20 something daughters that restraint is called for when enjoying the capitolist system.

18. garage sale GT

Unwillingness to keep a contract says a lot about one's character.

19. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Then McCain's in trouble. How many affairs in wedlock has he had?

20. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

Ireland did not fight and maintained neutrality throughout WW2.