Evans: Broken collar bone?

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
A poster on another forum is reporting this.

If so is this it for him and the TdF? With the younger guys coming up, he is running out of years.

No. The deal was he's had something like 8 broken collar bones in his career, supposedly he bruised it today.

Given that all the reports so far have said no fractures (including one from the tour doctor), perhaps that post was of the chinese whisper variety.

Trev_S said:
Given that all the reports so far have said no fractures (including one from the tour doctor), perhaps that post was of the chinese whisper variety.
An australian said he just heard it on the radio.

You would think that with the number of breaks he has had, his collar bones would be a almost a solid patchwork of titanium plates and screws by now. They should be pretty much bulletproof.

Bro Deal said:

You would think that with the number of breaks he has had, his collar bones would be a almost a solid patchwork of titanium plates and screws by now. They should be pretty much bulletproof.
Could be a slight fracture, something like that. He looked as if he could still hang onto the bars and anyone who has done their collarbone-me included will tell you it's almost impoossible to do that with a break.

Bro Deal said:
I haven't been listening to the radio so haven't heard anything like that.
But if it's typical radio here it most likely was chinese whispers taken from early uniformed reports. The radio here know nothing of cycle racing let alone know who Cadel Evans is.

The media here love to sensationalise stuff so I'd take that with a huge grain of salt.

No doubt we'll find out tonight if not before hand but come the climbs should see how he is riding then.

I call BS. A woman at work told me the same thing, but a google news search brings up nothing. Stupid lazy Australian journos barking up the wrong tree more than likely.

He was hanging onto the doctors car with his left arm so surely it can't be that bad. Maybe some ligament damage? I think he'll struggle tonight.

Got to be BS... unless it's just a crack. I've broken it twice...and there's no way that he would do what he did... and not even mention any problem on radio to his DS, if he's broken his clavicle. Just reaching forward onto the handle bars would have caused excruciating pain.

Crankyfeet said:
Got to be BS... unless it's just a crack. I've broken it twice...and there's no way that he would do what he did... and not even mention any problem on radio to his DS, if he's broken his clavicle. Just reaching forward onto the handle bars would have caused excruciating pain.

I kind of agree. I've done it once, and for the first half hour, though it hurt like hell, I was able to use it with some limited movement and reduced grip strength (couldn't raise my arm though!). After that - oh god - the pain was so bad, I wanted to spew.

Runitout said:
I kind of agree. I've done it once, and for the first half hour, though it hurt like hell, I was able to use it with some limited movement and reduced grip strength (couldn't raise my arm though!). After that - oh god - the pain was so bad, I wanted to spew.
Remembering Dr Porte yesterday cleaning Cadel's wounds, don't think he would have stood the pain around his collarbone. But also remember when he went back into peloton, a rider handed him a bottle (from left), which he took with the right hand. He also threw away an empty bottle with right hand. Actually makes sense, when you're right handed, but it simply struck me he wouldn't/couldn't use his left arm.
Anyway today should be hell for him, with or without fracture, as he simply couldn't sleep last night. Let's check out in Tourmalet, maybe even already on first 3rd cat of the day.

But didn't Hamilton ride with a broken collarbone (and collapsedf lung and dying twin....) in the Tour one year. Are you saying that Evans is a wuss compared to Hamilton?

biggrin.gif

earth_dweller said:
But didn't Hamilton ride with a broken collarbone (and collapsedf lung and dying twin....) in the Tour one year. Are you saying that Evans is a wuss compared to Hamilton?

biggrin.gif
Evan's might be a boring wheelsucker... but don't ever accuse an Aussie of wussiness...
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

earth_dweller said:

biggrin.gif

yeah...but hamilton woulda been stoned out of his mind on something so he probably didn't even know!...maybe it was the 'disappearing twin' that broke his collarbone instead? :D

SBS news here in Aust. just said it is not broken.

They do the TDF live coverage here and are a whole lot more clued in on the cycling scene than any other general media.
eg:channel 10 reported he broke his collarbone, this from a channel that runs Big Brother. (they probably can't even spell TDF) :rolleyes:

Trev_S said:
SBS news here in Aust. just said it is not broken.

They do the TDF live coverage here and are a whole lot more clued in on the cycling scene than any other general media.
eg:channel 10 reported he broke his collarbone, this from a channel that runs Big Brother. (they probably can't even spell TDF) :rolleyes:
how do you spell tdf?

adamastor said:
Remembering Dr Porte yesterday cleaning Cadel's wounds, don't think he would have stood the pain around his collarbone. But also remember when he went back into peloton, a rider handed him a bottle (from left), which he took with the right hand. He also threw away an empty bottle with right hand. Actually makes sense, when you're right handed, but it simply struck me he wouldn't/couldn't use his left arm.
Anyway today should be hell for him, with or without fracture, as he simply couldn't sleep last night. Let's check out in Tourmalet, maybe even already on first 3rd cat of the day.

I saw that as well.

I hope that the reports are inaccurate - I think Cadel is a fine rider and if he is to b beaten, lets hope it's not because of a busted shoulder.
(although the man has busted his shoulder so many times in the past).

Evans is destined for a nice top 5 finish. Nice guy, good rider, with no killer instinct. He wins the UCI ProTour by a comfortable margin without a single overall event win. That says it all.