Evans Cycles

Budstaff

Guest
On the rare occasions that I've bought from Evans I've had no problems
(unlike others on this group), but there's one thing about them that is
starting to irk me.

Like all manner of online retailers, once you've bought from them, they
start to send you the occasional e-mal. I've actually found these useful.
But a while ago they started to send these from a different disposable
e-mail address each time. As far as my mail filters are concerned, this
means SPAM. So I usually find their messages, with offers that have by now
expired, during my once-a-month inspecion of my online junk folder.

Now obviously it's their loss, and it's only a little irk, but Meldrew-like
I find myself muttering about 'is that the way to run a business?'

Budstaff wrote:
> On the rare occasions that I've bought from Evans I've had no problems
> (unlike others on this group), but there's one thing about them that is
> starting to irk me.
>
> Like all manner of online retailers, once you've bought from them, they
> start to send you the occasional e-mal. I've actually found these useful.
> But a while ago they started to send these from a different disposable
> e-mail address each time. As far as my mail filters are concerned, this
> means SPAM. So I usually find their messages, with offers that have by now
> expired, during my once-a-month inspecion of my online junk folder.
>
> Now obviously it's their loss, and it's only a little irk, but Meldrew-like
> I find myself muttering about 'is that the way to run a business?'

I've never bought from them and I get regular spam from them,don'k know
how.Must have filled something in at a rally or show perhaps.

Yes I find it a PITA that if you label them as spam the next ones come
from a different address and so avoid the filter in Poptray.

I would never buy from them after reading the posts on this group.

Sam Salt

Sam Salt <[email protected]> wrote:

> Budstaff wrote:
> > On the rare occasions that I've bought from Evans I've had no problems
> > (unlike others on this group), but there's one thing about them that is
> > starting to irk me.
> >
> > Like all manner of online retailers, once you've bought from them, they
> > start to send you the occasional e-mal. I've actually found these useful.
> > But a while ago they started to send these from a different disposable
> > e-mail address each time. As far as my mail filters are concerned, this
> > means SPAM. So I usually find their messages, with offers that have by now
> > expired, during my once-a-month inspecion of my online junk folder.
> >
> > Now obviously it's their loss, and it's only a little irk, but Meldrew-like
> > I find myself muttering about 'is that the way to run a business?'

> I've never bought from them and I get regular spam from them,don'k know
> how.Must have filled something in at a rally or show perhaps.
>
> Yes I find it a PITA that if you label them as spam the next ones come
> from a different address and so avoid the filter in Poptray.
>
> I would never buy from them after reading the posts on this group.
>
> Sam Salt

the local bike club has a 10% off with them so could be useful but not
as useful as my local shop which is a few mins walk away.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:18:19 -0000, "Budstaff"
<budstaffdotusegroup@btinternetdotcom> wrote:

>On the rare occasions that I've bought from Evans I've had no problems
>(unlike others on this group), but there's one thing about them that is
>starting to irk me.
>
>Like all manner of online retailers, once you've bought from them, they
>start to send you the occasional e-mal. I've actually found these useful.
>But a while ago they started to send these from a different disposable
>e-mail address each time. As far as my mail filters are concerned, this
>means SPAM. So I usually find their messages, with offers that have by now
>expired, during my once-a-month inspecion of my online junk folder.
>
>Now obviously it's their loss, and it's only a little irk, but Meldrew-like
>I find myself muttering about 'is that the way to run a business?'

Is the domain different each time (the bit after the @)? If it isn't
you should be able to filter *@<domain>.co.uk to block all the
messages.

On 5 Jul, 21:28, Cheeky <[email protected]> wrote:
> I usually find their messages, with offers that have by now
> expired, during my once-a-month inspecion of my online junk folder.
>
> Is the domain different each time (the bit after the @)? If it isn't
> you should be able to filter *@<domain>.co.uk to block all the
> messages.

I think you're missing the OP's point. They are being marked as spam
when they don't want them to be.

However, the domain suggestion could still work. Can't you whitelist
their domain, or match on something in the title like "Evans"?

"POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 5 Jul, 21:28, Cheeky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I usually find their messages, with offers that have by now
>> expired, during my once-a-month inspecion of my online junk folder.
>>
>> Is the domain different each time (the bit after the @)? If it isn't
>> you should be able to filter *@<domain>.co.uk to block all the
>> messages.

> I think you're missing the OP's point. They are being marked as spam
> when they don't want them to be.
>
> However, the domain suggestion could still work. Can't you whitelist
> their domain, or match on something in the title like "Evans"?

Thanks. The antispam is BT Yahoo SpamGuard, which doesn't have whitelists,
but I've added an incoming filter to force mail with theire name in the from
address into the inbox. Now I'll have to wait and see if it works

Budstaff <[email protected]> wrote:

> "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 5 Jul, 21:28, Cheeky <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I usually find their messages, with offers that have by now
> >> expired, during my once-a-month inspecion of my online junk folder.
> >>
> >> Is the domain different each time (the bit after the @)? If it isn't
> >> you should be able to filter *@<domain>.co.uk to block all the
> >> messages.

> > I think you're missing the OP's point. They are being marked as spam
> > when they don't want them to be.
> >
> > However, the domain suggestion could still work. Can't you whitelist
> > their domain, or match on something in the title like "Evans"?
> >

> Thanks. The antispam is BT Yahoo SpamGuard, which doesn't have whitelists,
> but I've added an incoming filter to force mail with theire name in the from
> address into the inbox. Now I'll have to wait and see if it works

ahh thats one of the reasons i use 3rd party for mail, also so i'm not
tied to any one supplyer.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:39:23 -0700, POHB <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 5 Jul, 21:28, Cheeky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I usually find their messages, with offers that have by now
>> expired, during my once-a-month inspecion of my online junk folder.
>>
>> Is the domain different each time (the bit after the @)? If it isn't
>> you should be able to filter *@<domain>.co.uk to block all the
>> messages.

>I think you're missing the OP's point. They are being marked as spam
>when they don't want them to be.
>
>However, the domain suggestion could still work. Can't you whitelist
>their domain, or match on something in the title like "Evans"?

D'oh. Thanks for pointing that out. I totally misread that. As you
note, the converse can also be done : )

Evans Cycles, has anyone else had any safety issues with Evans. Recently purchased a Specialized Expedition for my daughter, they set it up and when she rode it they had not set the handlebar stem correctly and she nearly crashed as it came loose, took it back they re set it and again it happened, they are saying I tampered with it. Guildford store manager, customer services manager and CEO have just blown me off. Did get a full re fund but just wanted everyone to know their mechanics are useless and non of the management have any integrity.

[SIZE=10.0pt]Evans Cycles, has anyone else had any safety issues with Evans. Recently purchased a Specialized Expedition for my daughter, they set it up and when she rode it they had not set the handlebar stem correctly and she nearly crashed as it came loose, took it back they re set it and again it happened, they are saying I tampered with it. Guildford store manager, customer services manager and CEO have just blown me off. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.0pt]Did get a full re fund but just wanted everyone to know their mechanics are useless and non of the management have any integrity.[/SIZE]