Evans in a familiar place again today....LOL

azdroptop said:
Sucking wheel on a mountain stage. :D J/K Cadel lovers.
Not exactly. Evans was riding support for Popo. When Popo fell off the pace, Evans switched to following so he wouldn't be pacing Gesink away from his leader. He then grabbed the time bonus at the line.

He doesn't deserve to be hit with the wheel sucker tag for this one.

Absolutely Bro. As a bonus he's set the pecking order in the Lotto team just in case Popo was in anyway confused about it.

classic1 said:
Absolutely Bro. As a bonus he's set the pecking order in the Lotto team just in case Popo was in anyway confused about it.
wonder if Popo will pull himself inside out after in the Tour, after that move today.

earth_dweller said:
wonder if Popo will pull himself inside out after in the Tour, after that move today.
Fair question. What happened to, 'I'm working for him here, so he can work for me at the Tour'?

Once Popo popped, he could either go for the stage win or simply shepherd Popo up the hill--reasonable minds might differ over what the better choice there was, and perhaps the decision was not his but the DS's anyway. But if he had earning brownie points with Popo as his focus here, the decision was a wrong one.

Of course it was also Evans' effort that prompted Popo to crack. I guess that happens when the better climber is working for his team-mate, but it shows their communication can improve, I suppose. Early days.

earth_dweller said:
Yea, considering that from the live report, it sounded like Cadel was pulling when Popo went OTB. I will give you that Gesink would have attacked Popo later had that not happened, and Popo probably would have been dropped anyway. Still, having the guy who is riding for you drop you isn't the way it traditionally goes.

thoughtforfood said:
Yea, considering that from the live report, it sounded like Cadel was pulling when Popo went OTB. I will give you that Gesink would have attacked Popo later had that not happened, and Popo probably would have been dropped anyway. Still, having the guy who is riding for you drop you isn't the way it traditionally goes.
Cadel's attacked again today - he's in the breakaway at least. There's no need for him to wheel suck anymore now he's not up against team blood dope. I reckon he'd have sucked wheel all the way to the top yesterday if Astana had been riding.