Evans, reasons to dislike him

Bro Deal said:
I think he cracked under the pressure. That was the reason for his tiffs with the press and such.

Yeh, I'm sure your right and I know his team were utter shite but still his antics have won him few friends, I mean the headbutt took the biscuit, that journo wasn't even in his face, I would have abused the **** out him if he had done that to me.

Hitchy said:
You've missed the point i was trying to make...'Crack'n fail gal' was accusing the Aussies posting here of being bandwagon jumpers. i chose to point out that inafct none of the aussies here appear to be new to the sport as opposed to the 4 gazillion seppo 'experts' that suddenly appeared when lance appeared on the scene...the only generalisation I made was the fact that domestically, seppo's race a large proprtion of the season as crits...which aint RR's...
point taken. and for the record, I appreciate perspectives from all around the world. if it were just aussies or americans, how boring a read. the banter between these two nationalities added another layer to this otherwise underwhelming tour.

Klodifan said:
point taken. and for the record, I appreciate perspectives from all around the world. if it were just aussies or americans, how boring a read. the banter between these two nationalities added another layer to this otherwise underwhelming tour.
You can say that now Klodi... but if Evans had have won... you'd have been throwing spears at the Aussies now...
biggrin.gif

Crankyfeet said:
You can say that now Klodi... but if Evans had have won... you'd have been throwing spears at the Aussies now...
biggrin.gif
on the contrary, ive participated little in the back and forth sparring with the aussies.

would i have joined the "cadel sucks and is the worst tour winner in history" bandwagon? you bet!

the two are quite different..

I think it's a good thing that Evans didn't win, for reasons I've given before.

But I take no great joy in his loss (if you can call second place a loss) either. I would like to see an Aussie win. There's some national empathy in this - not pride, but the feeling that you share in the win because you're from the same cultural milieu and understand where the rider's coming from and what his win means. More importantly, a TDF win would raise the profile of cycling here, which means more people riding, better facilities, less hassle from other road users.

I also feel a bit sorry for Cadel. His outbursts were obviously uncontrolled and extremely detrimental to his cause. I think he probably is an otherwise nice enough guy whose dark side emerged under the psychological pressure of heavy expectations. But that kind of behavior is still not acceptable, all of which would have been lost in the euphoria of an Australian win.

Klodifan said:
on the contrary, ive participated little in the back and forth sparring with the aussies.

would i have joined the "cadel sucks and is the worst tour winner in history" bandwagon? you bet!

the two are quite different..
No... you're prejudiced against Australians and hate us. You'll probably come straight back and argue the point I just made now... just because I am an Aussie.

Klodifan said:
Yea, cause it would have been sooooo much better with the Hog and team Borat. Kloden could have come in 5th or something.

C'dale Girl said:
Oh, well then.

Thanks for that clarification TFF. :eek:

Sincere apologies to Hitchy, who is in NO WAY *****y (or a *****) (double :eek: ).

Now that I get the joke, it's actually pretty funny. :D

My C'dale serves my purposes just fine, but I can respect the observation from you guys who push your bikes a lot harder than I do.

Again, sorry for misunderstanding, Hitchy.

Yeah TFF had it right, that's what they're known as out here..'crack n' fails'...having said that, respect where it's due, the local distributor has stood behind the warranties & replaced them...unlike many other manufacturers who try to avoid their responsibilities by saying, "Oh it's accident damage"...or my favourite, Giant, who will gladly sell ya a race bike but in the fine print the warranty is invalid if you race it...not if you damage it in a race, just if you race the race bike you purchased to race...WTF is that all about!

Hitchy said:
Yeah TFF had it right, that's what they're known as out here..'crack n' fails'...having said that, respect where it's due, the local distributor has stood behind the warranties & replaced them...unlike many other manufacturers who try to avoid their responsibilities by saying, "Oh it's accident damage"...or my favourite, Giant, who will gladly sell ya a race bike but in the fine print the warranty is invalid if you race it...not if you damage it in a race, just if you race the race bike you purchased to race...WTF is that all about!
They obviously have the same lawyer as the nut company whose packets of nuts contain the phase 'may contain nuts'.

Hitchy said:
Once again you shoot off your mouth...we'll hold you to this...bet you're to gutless to back it up...3 stages left & Grater is no more on this forum!
Looks like your man can't rid me of this place.

hard boiled said:
I think it's a good thing that Evans didn't win, for reasons I've given before.

But I take no great joy in his loss (if you can call second place a loss) either. I would like to see an Aussie win. There's some national empathy in this - not pride, but the feeling that you share in the win because you're from the same cultural milieu and understand where the rider's coming from and what his win means. More importantly, a TDF win would raise the profile of cycling here, which means more people riding, better facilities, less hassle from other road users.

I also feel a bit sorry for Cadel. His outbursts were obviously uncontrolled and extremely detrimental to his cause. I think he probably is an otherwise nice enough guy whose dark side emerged under the psychological pressure of heavy expectations. But that kind of behavior is still not acceptable, all of which would have been lost in the euphoria of an Australian win.

Feel sorry for cadel because he didn't have the ability/fitness/recovery/stamina/drug regime - or whatever - you choose, to win the bike race but don't feel sorry for him because of his media persona. He is not in the race to show how much patience he has for reporters he is in it to cycle as fast as he can. So how can his responses to pushy journalist be detrimental to his "cause". That's like saying Leyton Hewitts childish outbursts mean he won't win at tennis.

Now what Evans does need is powerthirst.

ad9898 said:
Well probably the last reason to dislike Evans is, his ego, his temper and his dummy are all far bigger than his talent, like I said he had no business to have the No.1 jersey on his back

So who in the peloton (or for that matter at the top of any sport) doesn't have an ego?

His "lack of talent" has taken him to the top of his sport, winning the UCI rankings last year and he was leading them for much of this year (he is still 4th). Second in the t de f twice and other top ten finishes suggest more than a little talent.

Your cycling knowledge has a few gaps.

thoughtforfood...was referring to last year. fair to say most find contador slightly supicious.

anyway, shame he didnt win...i also thought he handled himself very well afterwards in the light of what is obviously severe disappointment.