Evans, reasons to dislike him

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by thunder, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ad9898

ad9898 New Member

Yeh, I'm sure your right and I know his team were utter shite but still his antics have won him few friends, I mean the headbutt took the biscuit, that journo wasn't even in his face, I would have abused the fuck out him if he had done that to me.

2. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

point taken. and for the record, I appreciate perspectives from all around the world. if it were just aussies or americans, how boring a read. the banter between these two nationalities added another layer to this otherwise underwhelming tour.

3. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

You can say that now Klodi... but if Evans had have won... you'd have been throwing spears at the Aussies now... [​IMG]

4. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

on the contrary, ive participated little in the back and forth sparring with the aussies.

would i have joined the "cadel sucks and is the worst tour winner in history" bandwagon? you bet!

the two are quite different..

5. hard boiled

hard boiled New Member

I think it's a good thing that Evans didn't win, for reasons I've given before.

But I take no great joy in his loss (if you can call second place a loss) either. I would like to see an Aussie win. There's some national empathy in this - not pride, but the feeling that you share in the win because you're from the same cultural milieu and understand where the rider's coming from and what his win means. More importantly, a TDF win would raise the profile of cycling here, which means more people riding, better facilities, less hassle from other road users.

I also feel a bit sorry for Cadel. His outbursts were obviously uncontrolled and extremely detrimental to his cause. I think he probably is an otherwise nice enough guy whose dark side emerged under the psychological pressure of heavy expectations. But that kind of behavior is still not acceptable, all of which would have been lost in the euphoria of an Australian win.

6. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

No... you're prejudiced against Australians and hate us. You'll probably come straight back and argue the point I just made now... just because I am an Aussie.

7. thoughtforfood

thoughtforfood New Member

Yea, cause it would have been sooooo much better with the Hog and team Borat. Kloden could have come in 5th or something.

8. Hitchy

Hitchy New Member

Yeah TFF had it right, that's what they're known as out here..'crack n' fails'...having said that, respect where it's due, the local distributor has stood behind the warranties & replaced them...unlike many other manufacturers who try to avoid their responsibilities by saying, "Oh it's accident damage"...or my favourite, Giant, who will gladly sell ya a race bike but in the fine print the warranty is invalid if you race it...not if you damage it in a race, just if you race the race bike you purchased to race...WTF is that all about!

9. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

They obviously have the same lawyer as the nut company whose packets of nuts contain the phase 'may contain nuts'.

10. Grater

Grater New Member

Looks like your man can't rid me of this place.

11. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Feel sorry for cadel because he didn't have the ability/fitness/recovery/stamina/drug regime - or whatever - you choose, to win the bike race but don't feel sorry for him because of his media persona. He is not in the race to show how much patience he has for reporters he is in it to cycle as fast as he can. So how can his responses to pushy journalist be detrimental to his "cause". That's like saying Leyton Hewitts childish outbursts mean he won't win at tennis.

Now what Evans does need is powerthirst.

12. mitosis

mitosis New Member

So who in the peloton (or for that matter at the top of any sport) doesn't have an ego?

His "lack of talent" has taken him to the top of his sport, winning the UCI rankings last year and he was leading them for much of this year (he is still 4th). Second in the t de f twice and other top ten finishes suggest more than a little talent.

Your cycling knowledge has a few gaps.

13. Ricardo29

Ricardo29 New Member

thoughtforfood...was referring to last year. fair to say most find contador slightly supicious.

anyway, shame he didnt win...i also thought he handled himself very well afterwards in the light of what is obviously severe disappointment.