Evans, reasons to dislike him

Hitchy said:
ahh no you probably won't, cos that would mean that someone could be bothered reading it...sorry, too many words after 2 1/2 weeks of 4 hrs sleep per night! :D
Well there is one thing we have over you Aussies, we get to watch in the morning....Unfortunately, the Olympics is a different story even though they have moved some of the finals to early morning in China so that we can watch in prime time here.....it all has to do with commercial advertising....I think that IS ********!....read the post, it isn't half bad IMO....:)

thoughtforfood said:
Well there is one thing we have over you Aussies, we get to watch in the morning....Unfortunately, the Olympics is a different story even though they have moved some of the finals to early morning in China so that we can watch in prime time here.....it all has to do with commercial advertising....I think that IS ********!....read the post, it isn't half bad IMO....:)

alright...seeing as you asked so nicely...lemme read, digest & come back to ya..hold the phone......

thoughtforfood said:
Unfortunately, the live feed is about to start down here so nobody who is remotely interested in cycling will have time to read your post until the stage finishes.

Anyone who responds to your post in the next few hours will be some loser with no clue what he/she is talking about - so I would disregard anything posted earlier than about 1 am (Australian time)

"wah freakin wah, whinge whinge whinge" you misquoted, it is "wah ******' wah, whinge whinge whinge"

And it has less to do with his riding, thought that is a component, and more to do with his ***** slaps at people who are merely trying to do their jobs just like all of us. I hope he loses by 1 second so that we can hear the whine of all whines from him. I don't think it will happen, but here is to hope.

Ok, I can't help but comment.

matagi said:
Unfortunately, the live feed is about to start down here so nobody who is remotely interested in cycling will have time to read your post until the stage finishes.

Anyone who responds to your post in the next few hours will be some loser with no clue what he/she is talking about - so I would disregard anything posted earlier than about 1 am (Australian time)
Here too, but I keep my laptop lit up so I can comment during the stage.

...Ok ...not unreasonable. Look I can see why he hasn't endeared himself to the world at large...we'll overlook that stuff for the moment, cos we 'know' him a little better. To be honest, I haven't seen anyone (aussies or anyone else) who would normally defend him from some of the stuff you guys object to....except that you guys have been so vocal about sticking it to him...he deserves better. I agree with Jono, he looks like Virgil from the thunderbirds, sounds like farking Elmo & I was disappointed with the non chase of Sastre the other night....BUT...at the end of the day, he's doing what he needs to do to win the tour. Sure, we're excited about the prospect of the 1st aussie to win a GT...bet you seppo's were excited about Lemond, (well the ones that even knew what cycling was, probably were :D)....& don't get me started on the Lance years...you guys (as in the 'collective' you, not neccessarily 'you').... went beserk....so forgive us being excited, I reckon we're entitled. For a country of 20 million, where cycling ranks about number 150 in terms of sport, to have a potential TDF winner, means we're punching well above our weight division (as usual! :D), those of us that are 'into' it, can't help but get caught up....hey, worst case for you, it'll be all over in 3 stages! :D...BTW, I'm not a cadel man...hope he wins, but I'd rather Stuey won any day!

matagi said:

HuHmmmm...I choose to disregard your mate gary gatt...& tune in after he's gone...besides the footy's on...so anyone who posts from now on is a loser:D...except me, on the lap top during the ads :D

Bro Deal said:
The funniest thing about the support of Evans is that his homers are convinced he is clean. :confused: He rode for Mapei, nearly winning the Giro while doing so. He also rode for T-Mobile and Saeco.
I his riding style contributes to his clean aura. It's easier to identify guys who accelerate away from the field, while Cadel looks like he is suffering badly. But for all we know, Cadel is as doped as anyone else out there, and given that nearly everyone in the Tour's top ten for the last xx years has been implicated in doping, it would be foolish to assume that Cadel is clean.

Hitchy said:
HuHmmmm...I choose to disregard your mate gary gatt...& tune in after he's gone...besides the footy's on...so anyone who posts from now on is a loser:D...except me, on the lap top during the ads :D
Are you kidding me? This discussions in this forum have been much more interesting than this snoozer of a Tour. Hands down the most boring Tour in at least a decade.

thoughtforfood said:
No, he sucks because he is such a tool...
Yeah right, if only Cadel could be a better bloke like other Grand Tour winners.

If only he could be more like Indurain and Menchov, who have as much personality as a plank.

If only he could be more like Lance, who is an arrogant bully.

If only he could be more like Contadope, shooting someone whenever he wins a stage.

If only he could be a head case like Pantani or Gaul.

Spend some time with elite athletes and you'll find that there are very few that you'd choose to be friends with. And if you do, don't expect them ever to ask anything about you or your life. To make it as an elite athlete, you generally have to be totally self-absorbed. You won't find many that ever win personality contests.

So maybe you don't like what you see of Cadel, but you are kidding yourself if you think any of the others are better blokes.

serpico7 said:
Are you kidding me? This discussions in this forum have been much more interesting than this snoozer of a Tour. Hands down the most boring Tour in at least a decade.
I can't even remember half of Armstrongs wins they were so boring. I can give you more details off the top of my head from Tours from 84-90 (before television was even invented) than from the Armstrong years. Except 2003, that was a goodun'. And Pantani delebrately trying to mess with his ****, that was good. And err, umm, that 'the look' thing. They still **** on about that a bit. And apparently cancer had Lance Armstrong, but they both got better. What years were they all again? They all sort of blend in to one another.

But yes, 2006 and 2007 were better. The first week this year was better than average with the organisers having a couple of tough finishes and run ins, but thats only the preliminaries.

Hitchy said:
...Ok ...not unreasonable. Look I can see why he hasn't endeared himself to the world at large...we'll overlook that stuff for the moment, cos we 'know' him a little better. To be honest, I haven't seen anyone (aussies or anyone else) who would normally defend him from some of the stuff you guys object to....except that you guys have been so vocal about sticking it to him...he deserves better. I agree with Jono, he looks like Virgil from the thunderbirds, sounds like farking Elmo & I was disappointed with the non chase of Sastre the other night....BUT...at the end of the day, he's doing what he needs to do to win the tour. Sure, we're excited about the prospect of the 1st aussie to win a GT...bet you seppo's were excited about Lemond, (well the ones that even knew what cycling was, probably were :D)....& don't get me started on the Lance years...you guys (as in the 'collective' you, not neccessarily 'you').... went beserk....so forgive us being excited, I reckon we're entitled. For a country of 20 million, where cycling ranks about number 150 in terms of sport, to have a potential TDF winner, means we're punching well above our weight division (as usual! :D), those of us that are 'into' it, can't help but get caught up....hey, worst case for you, it'll be all over in 3 stages! :D...BTW, I'm not a cadel man...hope he wins, but I'd rather Stuey won any day!
I understand that and would be right with you if I were Australian.

regarding cadel...

but those that understood him smiled at one another and shook their heads; but, for mine own part, it was Greek to me.

patch70 said:
Yeah right, if only Cadel could be a better bloke like other Grand Tour winners.

If only he could be more like Indurain and Menchov, who have as much personality as a plank.

If only he could be more like Lance, who is an arrogant bully.

If only he could be more like Contadope, shooting someone whenever he wins a stage.

If only he could be a head case like Pantani or Gaul.

Spend some time with elite athletes and you'll find that there are very few that you'd choose to be friends with. And if you do, don't expect them ever to ask anything about you or your life. To make it as an elite athlete, you generally have to be totally self-absorbed. You won't find many that ever win personality contests.

So maybe you don't like what you see of Cadel, but you are kidding yourself if you think any of the others are better blokes.
I don't kid myself about that at all. Read the rest of my posts.

classic1 said:
I can't even remember half of Armstrongs wins they were so boring. I can give you more details off the top of my head from Tours from 84-90 (before television was even invented) than from the Armstrong years. Except 2003, that was a goodun'. And Pantani delebrately trying to mess with his ****, that was good. And err, umm, that 'the look' thing. They still **** on about that a bit. And apparently cancer had Lance Armstrong, but they both got better. What years were they all again? They all sort of blend in to one another.

But yes, 2006 and 2007 were better. The first week this year was better than average with the organisers having a couple of tough finishes and run ins, but thats only the preliminaries.
I am with you classic1, I have enjoyed this tour quite a bit. I am not one who liked watching the entire USPS/Disco team kill everyone till the last climb, and then have One Ball sprint up mountains in a drug fueled blur. Those were **** tours in my opinion.

classic1 said:

Part of what detracted from the Armstrong years was the fact that his team was so dominant. But the mountain stages were pretty exciting - guys attacking Armstrong, and Armstrong counterattacking. IIRC, he even played possum once, lured others into attacking and surprised them all with a vicious counter. If you subtract Saunier Duval and A. Schleck from this year's Tour, I think the mountain stages have been a waste of time, except for the last climb (Alpe d'Huez) of the last mtn stage.

serpico7 said:
But the mountain stages were pretty exciting - guys attacking Armstrong, and Armstrong counterattacking. IIRC, he even played possum once, lured others into attacking and surprised them all with a vicious counter.
He claimed he played possum after things worked out for him. He and Bruyneel have a history of claiming that anything that went their way was part of a plan. Their fanboys were the same way to such a degree that in 2006, as Disco stunk up the joint, they were sure it was part of a brilliant strategy. Armstrong has a history of lying whenever it will add to his image.

Hitchy said:
I would love to see an Aussie win, just not him....that is my story and I'm stickin' to it. I don't however want to see him lose because of a crash or anything. I like to see wins made on the bike, not becasue of an unfortunate accident or mishap. Good luck to him in that aspect.

Hitchy said:
Sure, we're excited about the prospect of the 1st aussie to win a GT...bet you seppo's were excited about Lemond, (well the ones that even knew what cycling was, probably were :D)....& don't get me started on the Lance years...you guys (as in the 'collective' you, not neccessarily 'you').... went beserk....so forgive us being excited, I reckon we're entitled. For a country of 20 million, where cycling ranks about number 150 in terms of sport, to have a potential TDF winner, means we're punching well above our weight division (as usual! :D), those of us that are 'into' it, can't help but get caught up....hey, worst case for you, it'll be all over in 3 stages! :D...!
Nice post TFF. Likewise Bro.

You as well Hitchy.

Hitchy, the only point here imo is that the non-American 'collective you' judged us and hated us for our enthusiasm when we were in the exact same position as you, right down to the ranking of cycling as a sport within our country. Since we (collective) were so criticized for our bandwagon jumping and nationalistic support, it seems a bit odd to see your 'collective you' jumping on a mirror image bandwagon, especially when your 'collective you' was one of the more vocal "you's" of the bunch, screaming from the rooftops, admonishing our "collective you." :)

Edit: btw, this doesn't take into account the personalities of the riders at issue, because like some others indicated here, I subscribe to the "they're all assholes" theory, so that's irrelevant since it's a given imo.

Evans will win the Tour tomorrow. It won't be with the panache that some/most of us would like, but so what. Indurain won his tours in similar fashion. And the boring complaints for Evans surely don't extend off the bike, as between the lion hugging, the fuzzy microphone phobia, the threatening of reporters, and headbutting a cameraman, there has been much to enjoy. So he has a leg up on Indurain there. The winner, or expected winner, regardless of who it is, will be the subject of attack and ridicule, that is certain. And for those who really don't like Evans, the Tour is more interesting, because there is someone they don't want to win. Next year we will all move on to Andy Shleck!