even harder than me

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Pete Jones, May 3, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    He did ride a mountain bike before he hiked!

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    > Pete Jones wrote:
    > > Surprised this hasn't been linked yet.
    > > http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1364264,00.html
    > >

    > > Pete
    > > ----
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/
    >
    > it's "hiking" story... subject of debate (hoax/) and rehash ( there was another guy and a leg) etc
    > on rec.backcountry and I'm sure rec.climbing.
    >
    > penny

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Surprised this hasn't been linked yet.
    >> http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1364264,00.html
    >
    > Moral of the story: DON'T CARRY A POCKET KNIFE!
    >
    > Bill "gotta do whatcha gotta do, but still..." S.

    it's not the first time this kind of thing has occurred. According to the chatter on r.b there was a
    guy who did a similar self rescue by cutting off his leg in the same manner a few years ago. I
    wonder about "this" guy... there was just this morning a profile of him in the paper, he's a guy who
    was backcountry skiing in a marginal area and got caught in an avalanche, his buddies had to dig him
    out. So is he just unlucky or what?

  5. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

  6. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > Sorni wrote:
    >
    >>"Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>

    >>>Surprised this hasn't been linked yet.
    >>>http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1364264,00.html
    >>
    >>Moral of the story: DON'T CARRY A POCKET KNIFE!
    >>
    >>Bill "gotta do whatcha gotta do, but still..." S.
    >

    > it's not the first time this kind of thing has occurred. According to the chatter on r.b there was
    > a guy who did a similar self rescue by cutting off his leg in the same manner a few years ago. I
    > wonder about "this" guy... there was just this morning a profile of him in the paper, he's a guy
    > who was backcountry skiing in a marginal area and got caught in an avalanche, his buddies had to
    > dig him out. So is he just unlucky or what?

    Unlucky? Maybe. Although that's not the word I'd use to describe somebody who "ignored weather and
    terrain indicators of high avalanche danger". I suspect it's more a case of being the type who's
    always pushing the envelope. That's the impression I got from the story that ran in the local paper.

    As I've said before, sometime lightning strikes, but it's a lot more likely to happen to folks who
    wear copper underwear and hang out on hill tops during thunderstorms.

    Kathleen

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > As I've said before, sometime lightning strikes, but it's a lot more likely to happen to folks who
    > wear copper underwear and hang out on hill tops during thunderstorms.

    Sounds about right to me. We all play with fire, some just forget to blow the match out once
    in a while.

    JD

  8. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > it's not the first time this kind of thing has occurred. According to the chatter on r.b there was
    > a guy who did a similar self rescue by cutting
    off
    > his leg in the same manner a few years ago.

    Also another guy from Colorado, it happened in the front range, I believe he was fishing. We are
    tough, if not very bright :)
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  9. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sorni wrote:
    > > "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > >>Surprised this hasn't been linked yet.
    > >>http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1364264,00.html
    > >

    > > Moral of the story: DON'T CARRY A POCKET KNIFE!
    > >
    > > Bill "gotta do whatcha gotta do, but still..." S.
    >

    > Better a nice, sharp pocket knife than having to use your teeth. With my luck I'd wind up breaking
    > a crown...
    >
    > Kathleen

    Our local newspaper ran the story with the heading,

    "Who needs both arms when you're this tough?"

    No kidding. They issued an apology the next day. Apparently the guy has a history of going off on
    silly escapades unprepared, or at least not letting anyone know where he's gonna be.

    Paladin

  10. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > it's not the first time this kind of thing has occurred. According to
    the
    > > chatter on r.b there was a guy who did a similar self rescue by cutting
    > off
    > > his leg in the same manner a few years ago.
    > >

    > Also another guy from Colorado, it happened in the front range, I believe
    he
    > was fishing. We are tough, if not very bright :)

    Not to mention litter-bugs!

    Bill "leave no (flesh/bone/blood/ooky bits) trace" S.

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 3 May 2003 10:45:43 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Surprised this hasn't been linked yet.
    >http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1364264,00.html

    I love the fact he did what he had to do. Even though with better planning he wouldn't have
    needed to.

    :-]

  12. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 03 May 2003 13:25:06 -0500, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]
    >As I've said before, sometime lightning strikes, but it's a lot more likely to happen to folks who
    >wear copper underwear and hang out on hill tops during thunderstorms.
    >
    >Kathleen

    D'oh! The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  13. "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 3 May 2003 10:45:43 +0000 (UTC), Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Surprised this hasn't been linked yet.
    > >http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1364264,00.html
    >
    > I love the fact he did what he had to do. Even though with better planning he wouldn't have
    > needed to.
    >

    > Peace, Bill

    I would agree and I even thought the same thing after I came back from my ride on Friday, 14 miles,
    not so remote, but I only saw one other biker. All the note to the Mrs. said was I'm going for a
    ride, should be home by
    5:00. No location. Let this serve as a good reminder to all of us, especially those like me who ride
    alone often, leave useful information for your SO.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado