Even more fake letters.

Hi Simon,

'Mr Scott's' letters via the magic of the Lexis database.
(Subscriber only unfortunately)

Hull Daily Mail

December 29, 2003

SECTION: News; Other; Letters; Pg. 8

LENGTH: 47 words

HEADLINE: Cyclists Without Lights Must Be Fined

BODY: Why don't the police prosecute poverty stricken
cyclists who ride in the dark without lights? They are
issuing £60 fines to motorists who break the speed limit,
and they should start doing the same to the cyclists that
break the law.

P Scott, Tranby Lane, Anlaby.

Hull Daily Mail

December 15, 2003

SECTION: News; Other; Letters; Pg. 9

LENGTH: 31 words

HEADLINE: New Rules For Cycle Lights?

BODY: I Can remember when cycling during the hours of
darkness without lights was an offence. Apparently, not now,
judging by all we see every night.

P Scott, Tranby Lane, Anlaby.

Hull Daily Mail

November 26, 2003

SECTION: News; Other; Letters; Pg. 8

LENGTH: 58 words

HEADLINE: Safety Starts At Home

BODY: If Simon Mason is really concerned about the safety of
pedal cyclists, doesn't he think it would be much safer if
all of them had lights, back and front, that are in good
working order when cycling during the hours of darkness?
These cyclists certainly do not seem to be concerned about
their own safety.

P Scott, Tranby Lane, Anlaby.

Hull Daily Mail

October 29, 2003

SECTION: News; Other; Letters; Pg. 8

LENGTH: 63 words

HEADLINE: Cyclist Without Lights Is The Greatest Danger

BODY: I Fully agree with Mr Donis (letters, October 18) who
said 40 mph would be a safer speed limit. Does Simon Mason
go out in the dark? He obviously doesn't see all the
cyclists riding without lights. He should direct his
criticism and advice in their direction. Cyclists without
lights don't have any regard for their own safety.

P Scott, Tranby Lane, Anlaby.

[email protected] (Howard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Simon,
>
> 'Mr Scott's' letters via the magic of the Lexis database.
> (Subscriber only unfortunately)

Thanks for that - this fella certainly fits the bill, he is
like a broken record as far as bike lights are concerned!
Not exactly topical in the middle of July is it?

[email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Howard) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > 'Mr Scott's' letters via the magic of the Lexis
> > database. (Subscriber only unfortunately)
> >

> Thanks for that - this fella certainly fits the
> bill, he is like a broken record as far as bike
> lights are concerned! Not exactly topical in the
> middle of July is it?

These were from last October to December. What is somewhat
surprising is that the HDM published 4 similar letters from
the same writer within a space of 2 months.

--
Dave...

On 5 Jul 2004 13:11:40 -0700, [email protected] (Howard)
wrote:

>'Mr Scott's' letters via the magic of the Lexis database.
>(Subscriber only unfortunately)

Hi Howard

A bit belatedly, here is the text of "Simon's" letter:

"The police should give motorists a break and start dealing
with cyclists who break the law. They ride in the dark
without lights and go through red traffic lights. They
break the law break just the same as motorists doing 35mph
in a 30 zone.

Simon Mason Anlay East Yookshire"

This letter was in the "bullet points" section of the
letters' page. I'd guess that what appeared in the paper was
just a part of a longer letter from P Scott (possibly).

James

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Simon Mason) writes:

> Thanks for that - this fella certainly fits the
> bill, he is like a broken record as far as bike
> lights are concerned! Not exactly topical in the
> middle of July is it?

Well, the underlying point is right. At least insofar as
it's about bike lights, as opposed to red herrings.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Howard) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hi Simon,
> > >
> > > 'Mr Scott's' letters via the magic of the Lexis
> > > database. (Subscriber only unfortunately)
> > >

> > Thanks for that - this fella certainly fits the bill,
> > he is like a broken record as far as bike lights are
> > concerned! Not exactly topical in the middle of July
> > is it?
>
> These were from last October to December. What is somewhat
> surprising is that the HDM published 4 similar letters
> from the same writer within a space of 2 months.

Indeed, but I meant the last one in the Mail on Sunday
just gone!

--
Simon M.

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Simon Mason) writes:
>
> > Thanks for that - this fella certainly fits the bill,
> > he is like a broken record as far as bike lights are
> > concerned! Not exactly topical in the middle of July
> > is it?
>
> Well, the underlying point is right. At least insofar as
> it's about bike lights, as opposed to red herrings.

I agree with him as it turns out, but he should put his own
name to it, not mine.

--

Simon M.

Tony Raven wrote:
> Dr Curious wrote:
>>
>> But presumably the MoS assume the author is Simon Mason
>> posting from Simon Mason's address. If he gave a
>> different name and a different address then presumably
>> they wouldn't have publshed it under Simon's name and
>> address in the first place.
>>

> My experience of the bigger papers is they get positive
> confirmation that it is from a real person at a real
> address either by phoning, if a phone number is given or
> by writing if its an address.

Nah, I've had a few letters published in the Independant,
not once have they checked my id.

pk

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:13:13 +0100, "Simon Mason"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Well, the underlying point is right. At least insofar as
>> it's about bike lights, as opposed to red herrings.
>
>I agree with him as it turns out, but he should put his own
>name to it, not mine.

I've always felt that "you see all these cyclists riding
without lights" was a perfect example of failing to think
through what you are talking about...

Ropger

In message
<[email protected]>, Dave Kahn
<[email protected]> writes

>These were from last October to December. What is somewhat
>surprising is that the HDM published 4 similar letters from
>the same writer within a space of 2 months.

That's odd. Perhaps Simon could write a letter a week and
see how often his views are printed?

Could it be a staff writer with a chip on his/her shoulder
that the editor indulges? Or the editor him/herself?

--
congokid Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
http://congokid.com

In message
<[email protected]>, "Just zis
Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes

>Not happened to me, and I have had letters published in
>most of the broadsheets by now.

Nor me.

I believe Joe Orton kept the letters columns of some papers
busy with by sending them alternating opinions on mundane
matters from his diametrically opposed, letter-writing
alter egos.

And it looks like at least one poster to uk.local.london is
upholding that tradition to this day.