Even the Canadians hate us!

Apparently the United Nations annually publishes a Human Development Index, a list of the "most liveable countries". The list is based on "quality of life", the criteria including life expectancy, educational attainment, and adjusted real income, among other things. Here is their rankings:

1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. Iceland
8. United States

How is it that a country that is almost entirely economically dependent on us, is 1/10 the size of the US, has a nominal military force, outranks us as being more liveable!?! I think we've established that the weather was probably not one of the criteria.

The United States is the richest, most powerful nation on earth and we only place #8?!? Yes, I know that this list is probably biased. The UN are clearly part of the Axis of Evil (by refusing to bend to Shrub's whims and do our bidding), but still, shouldn't we be in the Top 5 at least?

Even Australia beats us! A country founded by criminals is now more liveable than the United States!!!

If we invade Canada, destroy their infrastructure, and start running their country like our own, then this will knock them off the list and we will move into 7th place.

I plan on taking Rummy aside at the next cabinet meeting and will ask him to draft up a war plan on Canada (I'm sure its outdated). I think a land assault on the prairie provinces and aerial bombardments of Toronto and Vancouver is the way to go.

First Canada, then Australia...

Saucy said:
Apparently the United Nations annually publishes a Human Development Index, a list of the "most liveable countries". The list is based on "quality of life", the criteria including life expectancy, educational attainment, and adjusted real income, among other things. Here is their rankings:

1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. Iceland
8. United States

How is it that a country that is almost entirely economically dependent on us, is 1/10 the size of the US, has a nominal military force, outranks us as being more liveable!?! I think we've established that the weather was probably not one of the criteria.

The United States is the richest, most powerful nation on earth and we only place #8?!? Yes, I know that this list is probably biased. The UN are clearly part of the Axis of Evil (by refusing to bend to Shrub's whims and do our bidding), but still, shouldn't we be in the Top 5 at least?

Even Australia beats us! A country founded by criminals is now more liveable than the United States!!!

If we invade Canada, destroy their infrastructure, and start running their country like our own, then this will knock them off the list and we will move into 7th place.

I plan on taking Rummy aside at the next cabinet meeting and will ask him to draft up a war plan on Canada (I'm sure its outdated). I think a land assault on the prairie provinces and aerial bombardments of Toronto and Vancouver is the way to go.

I think that instead of running your mouth, you should just move to Canada. I'm sure you would be happier there.

Saucy said:
<snip>

1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. Iceland
8. United States

<snip>

A better question is how do countries that have a landscape that is basically built for bikes, have an amazing food and wine culture, Brew the best beer in the world, not to mention the chocolate, finish 5 & 6?!?!? Obvisously these people have their priorities in the wrong places

Salsa Rider said:
A better question is how do countries that have a landscape that is basically built for bikes, have an amazing food and wine culture, Brew the best beer in the world, not to mention the chocolate, finish 5 & 6?!?!? Obvisously these people have their priorities in the wrong places
mmmmmmmmmmmm............beer and chocolate!!!!!

Well maybe not together.

Bikerman2004 said:
mmmmmmmmmmmm............beer and chocolate!!!!!

Well maybe not together.
Actually stout and dark/bittersweet chocolate go great together. So does beer and Mole, oh wait that's Mexico. nm

Salsa Rider said:
Actually stout and dark/bittersweet chocolate go great together. So does beer and Mole, oh wait that's Mexico. nm
As Homer Simpson stated "Is there nothing beer can't do?"

I you think about it most of the immigrants that founded the US were not per say aristocratic. Lots of outcasts and mutts.
The thing that ticks me off about Canada is that they fooled me for years over that Canadian Bacon thing. They really had me going until I found out it was actually just ham. Shame on you Canada! :cool:

Saucy said:

1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. Iceland
8. United States

just seen the new stats that say that 12·5 % of the US population lives on or below the poverty line ( up 1,300,000 on last year ) - so the Bush administration is building five bases to stop cross border migration - from the US to Canada perhaps ? :rolleyes:

el Inglés said:
just seen the new stats that say that 12·5 % of the US population lives on or below the poverty line ( up 1,300,000 on last year ) - so the Bush administration is building five bases to stop cross border migration - from the US to Canada perhaps ? :rolleyes:

Yes we are all starving to death here. Please send me some economic aid.

A study should be done to see how many Americans chose to stay below the poverty level. It take effort to rise above it. Many Americans are just too lazy to take advantage of opportunities that are available.
It would be interesting to get a true picture of what is really going on.

jhuskey said:
Yes we are all starving to death here. Please send me some economic aid.

A study should be done to see how many Americans chose to stay below the poverty level. It take effort to rise above it. Many Americans are just too lazy to take advantage of opportunities that are available.
It would be interesting to get a true picture of what is really going on.
I agree. It boils down to education. Instead of this war on terror, we should be having a war on education, as in more emphasis on getting people educated. People need a little direction to get themselves motivated to improve. Without being aware of those opportunities, they stagnate. I know, I used to be one of them.

Olasnah said:
I agree. It boils down to education. Instead of this war on terror, we should be having a war on education, as in more emphasis on getting people educated. People need a little direction to get themselves motivated to improve. Without being aware of those opportunities, they stagnate. I know, I used to be one of them.

It's an upsidedown society where are sports heros make millions and our educators who mold minds are underpayed.If a High School teacher made 200 big ones a year. There would be a flood of applicants with great credentials.

Amazing how everyone feels we are the most hated...but we are not #1 on the list! I mean, hate the country where its the best to live, not #8. We are disliked because we do our own thing without consulting anyone else. We had bad intel on Iraq and imposed our will on another country. We could argue that Saddam was a bad man and needed to be ousted...then why not oust Castro in Cuba next, or Khaddafi in Libya. Neither one of those guys aren't up for a Peace Prize or Dictator of the year recognition. The truth is we will NEVER know for sure what went through Pres. Bush's head when he ordered our troops into Iraq. Maybe he thought he was doing the right thing based on crappy intel, or maybe is was a vendetta against Saddam for George Sr. not finishing it the first time. Maybe it was to get Cheyney's oil company in there for a big contract...we will NEVER know. I would like to think that based on our track record we would get the benefit of the doubt. If it weren't for the Allies (Mostly US troops) Everyone in Europe would be speaking German...twice! France's govt. will always be a non-appreciative pain in the ass, but get out of Paris, and I hear the people are great and actually love Americans. Canada can't say squat militarily because...well...they have none. WWII they sent less allies than any other allied nation to help with the Germans and Italians because they dont have a military. That hasn't changed, and do you know why? The reason makes sense. Because NO one will invade Canada 'cause there is nothing worth having there. I guess the Canucks can start to worry when the rest of the world runs out of ice. May be a while. The world knows the truth though...love us or hate us the world needs us. When Kuwait was invaded in the early 90's did they make a phone call to Belgium or Sweeden for help? Nope. We help the little guy and we beat up the bully. If that makes us a bully too, so be it. Don't forget... like us or hate us #8 has your back and in a pinch, you are gonna call. As to the rest of you American belly-achers out there. Hey, like the old saying goes...love it, or leave it. Apparently there are 7 "better" countries to live in so pack your sh*t and go. Im sure they would love to have you. I can understand why some countries might not like us right now...I cannot say that this war has been easy or 100% justifiable right now, but whether Bush or Kerry, Clinton or Reagan, I support my President and my troops even if I don't agree with everything they do. Vote in November but leave the belly-aches at home.

razor_USMC said:
Amazing how everyone feels we are the most hated...but we are not #1 on the list! I mean, hate the country where its the best to live, not #8. We are disliked because we do our own thing without consulting anyone else. We had bad intel on Iraq and imposed our will on another country. We could argue that Saddam was a bad man and needed to be ousted...then why not oust Castro in Cuba next, or Khaddafi in Libya. Neither one of those guys aren't up for a Peace Prize or Dictator of the year recognition. The truth is we will NEVER know for sure what went through Pres. Bush's head when he ordered our troops into Iraq. Maybe he thought he was doing the right thing based on crappy intel, or maybe is was a vendetta against Saddam for George Sr. not finishing it the first time. Maybe it was to get Cheyney's oil company in there for a big contract...we will NEVER know. I would like to think that based on our track record we would get the benefit of the doubt. If it weren't for the Allies (Mostly US troops) Everyone in Europe would be speaking German...twice! France's govt. will always be a non-appreciative pain in the ass, but get out of Paris, and I hear the people are great and actually love Americans. Canada can't say squat militarily because...well...they have none. WWII they sent less allies than any other allied nation to help with the Germans and Italians because they dont have a military. That hasn't changed, and do you know why? The reason makes sense. Because NO one will invade Canada 'cause there is nothing worth having there. I guess the Canucks can start to worry when the rest of the world runs out of ice. May be a while. The world knows the truth though...love us or hate us the world needs us. When Kuwait was invaded in the early 90's did they make a phone call to Belgium or Sweeden for help? Nope. We help the little guy and we beat up the bully. If that makes us a bully too, so be it. Don't forget... like us or hate us #8 has your back and in a pinch, you are gonna call. As to the rest of you American belly-achers out there. Hey, like the old saying goes...love it, or leave it. Apparently there are 7 "better" countries to live in so pack your sh*t and go. Im sure they would love to have you. I can understand why some countries might not like us right now...I cannot say that this war has been easy or 100% justifiable right now, but whether Bush or Kerry, Clinton or Reagan, I support my President and my troops even if I don't agree with everything they do. Vote in November but leave the belly-aches at home.
Goddamn!!! Now theres a motivating Marine Corps rant if I've ever seen one. Semper Fi Razor, and a big AMEN to everything you said.

This sounds like the rantings of a madman, and they say that we should beware of radical Islam. It seems that your health, your safety and your freedom is under attack from a far more insidious enemy.

razor_USMC said:

razor_USMC said:

Well put Razor, but you might not be too far off with the ice remark, considering that ice is about 25% of the worlds fresh water. Stuff may be more valuable than oil one day. Maybe we should put the Corps on speed dial. :)

eric_the_red said:
You'll find we don't hate all Americans, just the "fat, greedy, arrogant, loud, rude, stupid" ones. :)

And as for the invasion thing you tried that once in 1812 and got your butts kicked back across the border. If you're thinking of trying again better bring some friends this time, oh wait you don't have any left. :D
Is'nt Canada referred to as "Mexico north"? (only joking) :D
No really, i can't blame the canadiens for criticizing obvious shortcomings on the americans part. It seems to be a culture of more is better which is so f'ing stupid. Like a 6000 lb. suv for one individual. No wonder schrub needs an uninterrupted supply of oil to power these behemoth's & the factories that produce them(some vehicles produced in canada). Absurd!!!

razor_USMC said:

The funniest thing about this thread, other than the original satire, are the rants by the people who missed it...It was a SATIRE guys.

I must say that I'm very proud of our slack commitment to our military, (and we still do manage to particiate in legitimate peace keeping missions in spite of their chronic underfunding.) It's kind of a school yard mentality to brag about how strong your military is anyway; and short sighted when the money could be better spent other places (like education, or research into alternative energy so we don't fight wars over oil.) I think health care is more of a priority to most Canadians than replacing our aging helicopters that keep crashing, and I think it's precisely because we aren't waveing guns around the world that we aren't targets for terrorists (and you'll notice neither are Belguim or Sweden or any of the other top 5.)

By the way I think most Canadian's really do like Americans, even the fat ones. We just aren't warming up to your current government and its foreign policy.

sorry about the bacon.

Pomod:

Sorry, but as a Canadian, I can't agree with you. We send guys overseas into harm's way (25 of our people have been killed while "peacekeeping" in Bosnia, and god knows how many others have been crippled by mines and "random" mortar fire) with less-than-adequate equipment. We seperate them from their families for extended periods. Then when they return, they have to rely on the food bank to make ends meet.:mad:

That isn't right, bud. To suggest that criminally underfunding people who place themselves in danger to protect complete strangers at incredible personal cost is somehow culturally uplifting indicates a less-than-complete picture of the circumstance. I fervently hope I've misunderstood you.

As far as disliking Americans goes, I've liked the ones I've met. I've never met more gracious hosts or more outgoing people.

And to set the record straight, Razor, Canada sent a greater proportion of it's population to war (starting in 1939, btw) than just about any of the other allies. I'm sure we would have sent more, but we just didn't have the people. We also had the third largest navy in the world at the end of the war. And if you're ever curious about our wartime impact in Europe, you may want to ask someone from Holland about it. Or visit Juno Beach. Or research 6 Group of the RAF and what they accomplished. Or look up ***** McKnight, George Beurling, D.V. Currie (V.C.) or anyone else from our part of the world who was there. What our armed forces have become since then is a shadow of what they once were. That's partially due to a lack of immediate need, and partially due to to an appaling government policy of underfunding and neglect. It wasn't always that way.

That's my rant. Sorry to have exposed you to it, but I couldn't let this one slide.

Dan

Dan,

I am not saying that Canadians didn't serve or deserve respect for the jobs done and currently taking place. I am saying that there is a vast difference in involvement, despite your countries lesser population. I am sorry to hear that the Canadian's broke the 25 dead mark recently in Bosnia. The US just broke the 1,000 dead mark in the Middle East! As far as Canadian involvement in WWII. Yes Canada was unquestionably involved. The Canadians did lose 39,000 in WWII. The USA, second only to Britain among allies, lost almost 300,000! I am glad to read that you are well aware of your Nation's Heros. That is more than most self-labeled Patriots can claim, including the USA. Hell, you won't find Pearl Harbor in some U.S. history books these days, thanks to some of our far left wing friends who don't want to offend any Japanese-Americans. I was just pointing out that those countries that do a majority of the belly-aching against the USA will be calling us the instant their country is in deep Kimchi. And just maybe (France) these countries should remember that there is a good deal of American blood deep in their soil that allows them the freedom to *****. I meant to offense to Patriotic Canadians, although I stand firmly by my statement that you will probably never be invaded for the previously stated reasons. :D

Regards,