Eventually...

David Nutter

Guest
I posted a while ago about the removal of the bicycle parking outside the town centre Safeway in
Durham. This afternoon I got a reply, long after I'd given up expecting one:

Dear Mr. Nutter,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your enquiry.

Both cycle racks near to the Millburngate Centre are to be re-installed following the environmental
improvement works in North Road. Our Northern Area Office tell me that they are waiting for some
benches to be installed first, as these are heavy and will require some mechanical equipment to move
them into place. The cycle racks may get in the way of this, and will therefore be put in
afterwards.

I have noticed several bikes tied to railings recently, and agree that the parking facilities need
to be put back into place as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Ben Dellow

Better late than never I suppose :)

Regards,

-david, happy that he'll no longer have to walk any distance with panniers full of orange juice

ObBikeRelated: Bit brisk this morning, wot? My fingertips were an interesting shade of blue when I
got to work.

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:10:34 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:

> I posted a while ago about the removal of the bicycle parking outside the town centre Safeway in
> Durham. This afternoon I got a reply, long after I'd given up expecting one:

I sent a post at the same time as you and got an immediate reply, I think I mentioned it here though
I didn't quote it. My reply was pretty much the same as yours but without mention of the benches.
What I still don't get is why they are doing things in this order. They have finished all the paving
to a reasonably high standard. Next they will rip up some of the paving to put in the benches and
racks and then relay the paving.

Colin

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> said:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:10:34 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I posted a while ago about the removal of the bicycle parking outside the town centre Safeway in
>> Durham. This afternoon I got a reply, long after I'd given up expecting one:
>
> I sent a post at the same time as you and got an immediate reply, I think I mentioned it here
> though I didn't quote it.

Interesting, did you send it by e-mail or a more "respectable" communications medium?

> My reply was pretty much the same as yours but without mention of the benches. What I still don't
> get is why they are doing things in this order. They have finished all the paving to a reasonably
> high standard. Next they will rip up some of the paving to put in the benches and racks and then
> relay the paving.

Yes, I did wonder and console myself with the thought that things the council do are not meant to be
understood by mortals. Viz the mysterious cones on the bit of the A691 that goes up from the
Passport Office to County Hall. They seem to stop where the actual work (at the top of North Road)
begins. Very strange...

Regards,

-david

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:52:59 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> said:

>> I sent a post at the same time as you and got an immediate reply, I think I mentioned it here
>> though I didn't quote it.
>
> Interesting, did you send it by e-mail or a more "respectable" communications medium?

email.

>> My reply was pretty much the same as yours but without mention of the benches. What I still don't
>> get is why they are doing things in this order. They have finished all the paving to a reasonably
>> high standard. Next they will rip up some of the paving to put in the benches and racks and then
>> relay the paving.
>
> Yes, I did wonder and console myself with the thought that things the council do are not meant to
> be understood by mortals. Viz the mysterious cones on the bit of the A691 that goes up from the
> Passport Office to County Hall. They seem to stop where the actual work (at the top of North Road)
> begins. Very strange...

Yes, I've not worked out the coneage near that roundabout at all. Two and sometimes three of the
roads will have apparently pointless (though still pointy) cones.

The biggest mystery of all is the new cycle bridge. It seems to me that the developers of the new
houses have put in a pedestrian footbridge for the residents to get over the A690 but called it a
cycle bridge, it certainly has steps as well as ramps. It seem to serve no pupose for cycles as far
as I can tell at the present.

Colin