ever been asked to race...

bikeguy

May 31, 2004
while stopped on a bicycle, at a light..

By a car driver? :D

I have, and declined, twice. Location: Toronto, Canada.

- bikeguy

Reactions: haleylx4
Not since my youth, but I have ridden with people who would rather die than share the leader position.

Wow, somebody replied. The only time I've actually outrun a car for 10-30 meters when the car driver floors it is here in the winter, the smaller roads have a layer of ice and snow (no salt, just fine gravel) and with a MTB I get better traction and can outrun' em for a bit. Studs on front wheel only.

-bikeguy

A bunch (8-10) of young motorcyclists on their crotch rockets and leathers were zipping in and out of traffic and passed me. They stopped at a red light just ahead. I rode up to the light and did a trackstand next to one. I liked their bikes and said something to that effect "Nice bike" etc.

One of them jokingly asked if I wanted to race. I told him I didnt think I could but could he stay still without touching the ground like I was? One of his buddies laughed and said "He got you there".

When the light turned green most of them gunned it, doing wheelies and such, but a couple (including Mr "He got you there") hung back and started cruising at about 30-35 mph. This let me get up to them and they slowly brought it up to about 45 mph. At that point I blew, had to sit up, and waved them off. They gave a couple thumbs up, gunned it, and joined their buddies up the road.

cdr

carpediemracing said:
A bunch (8-10) of young motorcyclists on their crotch rockets and leathers were zipping in and out of traffic and passed me. They stopped at a red light just ahead. I rode up to the light and did a trackstand next to one. I liked their bikes and said something to that effect "Nice bike" etc.

One of them jokingly asked if I wanted to race. I told him I didnt think I could but could he stay still without touching the ground like I was? One of his buddies laughed and said "He got you there".

When the light turned green most of them gunned it, doing wheelies and such, but a couple (including Mr "He got you there") hung back and started cruising at about 30-35 mph. This let me get up to them and they slowly brought it up to about 45 mph. At that point I blew, had to sit up, and waved them off. They gave a couple thumbs up, gunned it, and joined their buddies up the road.

cdr

Must have been fun to draft a motorcycle right out of the blue, and you've got me too, I can't trackstand. Sometimes, I can do it for 2 seconds, but that's it. Looks like I'll be able to break out the road bike soon, it's going to get up to 3-7 C for a few days in a row soon.

-bikeguy

bikeguy said:
Must have been fun to draft a motorcycle right out of the blue, and you've got me too, I can't trackstand. Sometimes, I can do it for 2 seconds, but that's it. Looks like I'll be able to break out the road bike soon, it's going to get up to 3-7 C for a few days in a row soon.

-bikeguy
bikeguy, I feel your pain. Here, I've been looking at the forecast for every day waiting for that warm front to move in. Looks like I might get it this weekend, s'pposed to get to 45 F. Hopefully the salt is off the road by then.:)

When I was a younger guy I was challenged by a guy in a little toyota car. He had a straight shift trans and apparently wasn't to skilled at declutching. He hammered on the throttle and dropped the clutch, stalling the car. I put feet to pedals and made it to the next stop before he and his car, LOL.

Agree to race them - first to cover 5 yards, or first to reach 5mph. You will win most times!

I dominate all the cars around campus... It is hilarious having 'tough' guys make fun of me in spandex and then I crank it and bomb pass them.

sogood said:
Thanks. After being able to ride hands free, trackstand is the next skill to learn.
I hope to hit other skills - picking up dropped items off the ground without stopping or dismounting, bunny hops (useful ones - for potholes etc), etc.

I hope to have a trackstand video ready to go in the next week or so. I'll do the step by step to give some idea of what you need to do.

cdr

carpediemracing said:
I hope to hit other skills - picking up dropped items off the ground without stopping or dismounting, bunny hops (useful ones - for potholes etc), etc.

I hope to have a trackstand video ready to go in the next week or so. I'll do the step by step to give some idea of what you need to do.

cdr
http://www.ehow.com/how_14109_track-stand-mountain.html
How to Track Stand on a Mountain Bike - eHow.com
Bunny hopping is a great way to protect your rims when crossing kerbs.

This sounds like they were being sarcastic. It is an obvious thing that a bicycle won't beat a car. I would smile and say keep pumping that gas. Maybe someday and look the other way. People are dumb.

Yes, there are drivers around my area that are a bit dim. Obviously, I've never taken up anyone on that offer as it's just not possible for a cyclist to keep up with any vehicle.

Hi bikeguy,I haven't been asked to race any more.Maybe I look ferocious not easy to get on well.But race with car in first 5 yard sounds great.Can improve my explosive.

Hi bikeguy!I haven't been asked to race,maybe I look ferocious not easy to get on well.However race with car sounds great,will be a challenge.;)