ever been asked to race...

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by bikeguy, Feb 25, 2007.

1. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

while stopped on a bicycle, at a light..

By a car driver? :D

I have, and declined, twice. Location: Toronto, Canada.

- bikeguy

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

..and no, I'm not kidding. Both times at night.

-bikeguy

3. lehowe0

lehowe0 New Member

Not since my youth, but I have ridden with people who would rather die than share the leader position.

4. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

Wow, somebody replied. The only time I've actually outrun a car for 10-30 meters when the car driver floors it is here in the winter, the smaller roads have a layer of ice and snow (no salt, just fine gravel) and with a MTB I get better traction and can outrun' em for a bit. Studs on front wheel only.

-bikeguy

5. carpediemracing

carpediemracing New Member

A bunch (8-10) of young motorcyclists on their crotch rockets and leathers were zipping in and out of traffic and passed me. They stopped at a red light just ahead. I rode up to the light and did a trackstand next to one. I liked their bikes and said something to that effect "Nice bike" etc.

One of them jokingly asked if I wanted to race. I told him I didnt think I could but could he stay still without touching the ground like I was? One of his buddies laughed and said "He got you there".

When the light turned green most of them gunned it, doing wheelies and such, but a couple (including Mr "He got you there") hung back and started cruising at about 30-35 mph. This let me get up to them and they slowly brought it up to about 45 mph. At that point I blew, had to sit up, and waved them off. They gave a couple thumbs up, gunned it, and joined their buddies up the road.

cdr

6. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

Must have been fun to draft a motorcycle right out of the blue, and you've got me too, I can't trackstand. Sometimes, I can do it for 2 seconds, but that's it. Looks like I'll be able to break out the road bike soon, it's going to get up to 3-7 C for a few days in a row soon.

-bikeguy

7. Bikelyst

Bikelyst New Member

bikeguy, I feel your pain. Here, I've been looking at the forecast for every day waiting for that warm front to move in. Looks like I might get it this weekend, s'pposed to get to 45 F. Hopefully the salt is off the road by then.:)

8. carpediemracing

trackstand - I'll have to post something here shortly on how to do it (text). When it's a lot warmer than 7 deg F I'll add video. it's a good skill to have and it doesn't take any power, gear, losing weight, or anything else you have to do to be a good cyclist. just some practice.

cdr

*edit*
    text based (for now) how-to:
    http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2007/03/how-to-trackstands.html

9. NewRiderMan

NewRiderMan New Member

When I was a younger guy I was challenged by a guy in a little toyota car. He had a straight shift trans and apparently wasn't to skilled at declutching. He hammered on the throttle and dropped the clutch, stalling the car. I put feet to pedals and made it to the next stop before he and his car, LOL.

10. Akadat

Akadat New Member

Agree to race them - first to cover 5 yards, or first to reach 5mph. You will win most times!

11. carpediemracing

12. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

I dominate all the cars around campus... It is hilarious having 'tough' guys make fun of me in spandex and then I crank it and bomb pass them.

13. sogood

sogood New Member

14. carpediemracing

I hope to hit other skills - picking up dropped items off the ground without stopping or dismounting, bunny hops (useful ones - for potholes etc), etc.

I hope to have a trackstand video ready to go in the next week or so. I'll do the step by step to give some idea of what you need to do.

cdr

15. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

http://www.ehow.com/how_14109_track-stand-mountain.html
    How to Track Stand on a Mountain Bike - eHow.com
    Bunny hopping is a great way to protect your rims when crossing kerbs.

16. JSWin

JSWin Member

This sounds like they were being sarcastic. It is an obvious thing that a bicycle won't beat a car. I would smile and say keep pumping that gas. Maybe someday and look the other way. People are dumb.

17. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

Yes, there are drivers around my area that are a bit dim. Obviously, I've never taken up anyone on that offer as it's just not possible for a cyclist to keep up with any vehicle.

18. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

If it was another biker that asked me to a race I would love to race him in a mile sprint. Other than that... probably not!

19. chrislee99777

chrislee99777 Member

Hi bikeguy,I haven't been asked to race any more.Maybe I look ferocious not easy to get on well.But race with car in first 5 yard sounds great.Can improve my explosive.

20. chrislee99777

chrislee99777 Member

Hi bikeguy!I haven't been asked to race,maybe I look ferocious not easy to get on well.However race with car sounds great,will be a challenge.;)