Ever Been Involved In A Bike Accident?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dora M, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Dora M

Dora M Member

Luckily, I've never been involved in a serious road accident, be it on my bike or in some other vehicle. Knock on plastic, as I always say. But I've seen a couple of nasty incidents where bike riders got seriously hurt. In one case a small passenger bus came flying around a corner on a dangerous mountain road, literally sweeping the cyclist over the edge of the mountain range. Fortunately, he got stuck in a tree. Another time I saw a woman getting trapped and crashing onto railway lines while a train was approaching. She managed to drag herself away just in time, breaking her leg while saving herself from being run over.
    Have you ever been badly injured on the road?

Tags:

2. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

Nope knock on wood - a couple of wipeouts nothing serious. One was epic, kinda cool, going over a wooden path bridge, hit an ice patch -bike spun out under me but I ended up standing upright with quick leap at the guard rail- I was impressed with my athleticism - if I were younger I would take up parkour

3. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Yes, I had the bad luck to get t-boned by an asshole in a hurry, who blew a stop sign without carefully checking for traffic. I tore up my shoulder, and needed surgery. My bike was dead at the scene, so I fared better all things considered.

Had a witness who turned out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Basically dumped on the driver worse than the cops did in the accident report---and they weren't kind to him. So I did OK on the insurance claim.

4. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Serious? No... Could have been serious? Hell yeah...

1. Cycling on the cycling path. Pedestrian jumps in front and touches the handlebar, score! (Just some road rush).

2. Cycling on the cycling path, again. Half-dozed coffee lizard jumps in front of me, touches the handlebar, score! (Couldn't breathe too well for about 2 hours, later on the pain got so bad I had to go get some rib X-rays).

3. Crossing a road. Visiting peasant with Ford Focus passes in front of me knocking me off. (Guess what? She crashed me on the handlebar). Score! (No injury).

4. Cycling on the cycling path. (That's the 3rd time on the same cycling path mind you). Italian tourist stupored from the local spirits runs into my rear wheel with a rent bike. Score! No injury, she have me 40 euro on the spot... New chain, new Shimano Claris rear mech, trued the wheel.

5. Doing a ride in the city... Just started raining, took a turn with about 30km/h. Score! That was very spectacular too! The bike started sliding on the side with me still clipped in. I unclipped from the bike, the bike took a couple of rolls with my lights flying all over the road... Broken both fixings bolts of the lights, scraped arm and side of ass...

6. Nice one: I was cycling from work to the super market to get a bite for lunch break. I went past a gas station when a lady pulled out right in front of me -synced- with the moment I was just entering the gas station exit. Score! Crashed on her door... X-rays, hospital the lot, but it was Friday and I had a 3 day weekend! Yeeeay! :D

Wanna see some pictures? :D I usually take pictures of injuries after spills... :D

5. ABNPFDR

ABNPFDR Member

Yes - a couple of them.

First was my fault - I was 15, impatient and pulled across a busy road to turn off onto a side street. Hit a 1984 Buick Skylark driven by a very nice Asian couple head on. The car was doing the speed limit of 35mph. I will never forget her face as I slammed into the front windshield. Upon impact I was rendered unconscious. Witnesses say I ricocheted about 15 feet into the air, and then landed on the front lawn of a funeral home. You can tell this happened in the 80's because I did not get taken to the hospital. I regained consciousness at the scene, My knee was pretty messed up and required a trip that night to the hospital. A Police Officer brought me home. My bike, which had been folded in half fit neatly in the trunk of the cop car. Post accident, I contacted the couple and paid for the repairs to their vehicle which included the windshield and some damage to the front grille and hood.

The most severe was during a race. A cop not doing his job caused a car to T-Bone me. My bike was totaled. I awoke in the hospital post surgery. My left leg was broken as was my left arm along with some other stuff including lots on internal injuries. I am glad I was out for the duration on that one. Nothing permanent though.

I've crashed during races, had 3 other contact incidents with cars, run off the road 2 other times by cars, crashed on the MTB so many times I would not want to count, but all that is minor boo-boos.

I also had one non-vehicle crash that to this day have no recollection of what-so-ever. I ended up in the hospital with a severe concussion. Had amnesia for 3 weeks before the memory started to come back.

Ride long enough and far enough and you will be involved in some sort of accident.

6. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Roll the high lights reel, Jerry...

Hit from behind by a stoned kid in a Camaro. Broken back. Right arm/shoulder damage.
    Conversion van backed out of a drive in a big hurry as I was sailing down a hill at warp speed. Drilled the passenger side, got lucky and had no bones broken. Van seriously damaged. Thorn bush damage when ricochet into ditch stopped all motion.
    T-boned a Buick that made an illegal left turn in front of me. Buick unhurt. Serious bruising and lost hide.
    T-boned a Newfoundland mutt that jumped over a hedge row and planted in front of me. Dog fine. Fork blade collapsed the next day causing split open head in a zero MPH fall.
    Flipped over a sprinting generic mutt that ran out of yard on a fast downhill. Knee seriously cut, lots of road rash.
    Got taken down hard by a mutt that charged out from behind a car parked just off the road a couple years ago. Just serious bruising.

Training and racing falls...too many to remember or list.

Bumps, bruises, sprains, strains, contusions, abrasions, lacerations...yes. Wash, rinse and repeat.
    Demolished wheels and fried frames...you betcha.

The usual busted brake levers, shredded seats, replaced bar tape, etc.
    One helmet cracked.
    Lots of destroyed shorts and jerseys. A few pairs of gloves trashed and one pair of Sidi's ruined.

Season 45 of "Campy Rides Again" is currently in production. Stay tuned for future releases.

7. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Member

In a couple of them, nothing too serious though. One time I was riding downhill with a friend and my bike got stuck on his and I got projected through the skies, impressive view!

8. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Ever thought of starting your own "Cycling Drive School"? :D

You could wear an eye patch and walk around with a carbon top tube as a walking stick "from that -one- accident"... :D

[​IMG]

9. BrickTamland

BrickTamland New Member

Of course. A better question would be, "Who doesn't want to see pics of a bruised and bloody Volnix?"

10. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Nope and Nope,

He's posted them before. No need to see those pale chicken legs again.

11. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

I was just going to link to this post:
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/topic/429511-is-road-cycling-dangerous/page-38#entry3756703

... but the photos are gone.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23410]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:23411]

That last pic is the streak I left on the pavement. At full size you may see the blue from my jersey smeared on the asphalt. My wife attended my injuries and said that one of the gashes in the elbow was down to the fat - I took her word on that.

Funny thing is that I had a much lower speed wipeout a couple of weeks back and scraped up the exact same body parts.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/topic/444147-bikes-and-dogs/#entry3773448

12. CAMPYBOB

Quote by Volnix:
    "You could wear an eye patch and walk around with a carbon top tube as a walking stick "from that -one- accident"... :D"

The Great White Whale did that to you???

No...it was a small, blue convertible!

13. CAMPYBOB

14. CAMPYBOB

Quote by Maydog:
    "... but the photos are gone."

Chicks dig scars!

I hope you're healed up from the bike path fall.

15. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Member

Thank God that I've never been in an accident involving a bike. I know that my cousin once smashed by car when he was riding his bike, he broke his arm and was rushed to hospital.

16. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Lookit all dem purty colors. :D

Attached Files:

17. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

^^^ My right hip after a perfect 3 point landing. That was point 3. Point 1 was my helmeted head. Point 2 was my shoulder. Amazingly enough, points 1 and 3 suffered no other damage. Point 2 wasn't as fortunate. :(

18. BrickTamland

BrickTamland New Member

19. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Got some of the arms too! :D Nice and fizzy from iodine. :D

"To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee." :D

[​IMG]

20. kana_marie

kana_marie Member

I haven't but I think the fact that I ride on backroads with no traffic helps me stay in one piece.