Ever Been Involved In A Bike Accident?

Sometimes ridiculous stuff does happen, this happened to me recently when I fall on my behind and was sore for a few days.

I was in a bike accident once, a few years ago I was biking home from work and I was at a 4 way intersection and the pedestrian light came on so I started to cross. As I'm crossing I see out of the corner of my eye this lady in a SUV comes speeding towards from the side trying to turn on a red light during pedestrian crossing ! So almost instinctively in a split second I jump off my bike backwards and she slams right into the empty bike completely toalling it. then she had the nerve to start screaming I had scratched her bumper !

10 stitches in my noggin from going over the bars as a kid.

Rode down a very steep hill towards a hairpin bend, in the rain, after farmer Giles had been out with his '**** spreading' tractor hauled fertilizer. Brakes - Campag Chorus and they didn't stop for ****. The bike was OK but I again went over the bars and flew, quite gracefully apparently, into the side of a house on the hairpin corner. Specialized Airforce 2 helmet completely trashed. Serious bruising all the way from just above my ear to just below my hip. That was back in the early 90s and my shoulder still feels it today.

Untold crashes from races some funny ones like falling off on the first day of a 3 day race and losing the ass from my shorts and taking just a minimal amount of skin off my butt cheeks - my entire right ass cheek was hanging out for almost 2 hours. The resulting loss of tension in the shorts meant that the chamois wasn't where it should have been and it rubbed me raw. The number of ass jokes I heard that day was nearly infinite.

Most of my most painful falls were from slow speed crashes on ice. Those always hurt.

Funniest crash - straight into some privets and the only thing visible from the road were my feet sticking out of said bushes.

Worst crash on a bicycle was the 'over the bars' incident. A night in hospital from concussion and much vomiting. I think that concussion lasted about 12 years because that was when I learned that Campag was overpriced and didn't works as good as Shimano 600EX SIS.

Worst crash - decking a motorcycle at nearly triple digits and trashing ~$3,000 of helmet, leathers, boots and gloves. Bruising everywhere. I swore when I got up I was fine. No broken bones and adrenaline up the yin-yang. The following day when you wake up and the pain killers from the night before have worn off = f**k do I need to move a muscle to breathe? Is there anything other than my eyeballs that I can move without needing 14 gallons of morphine? At some point I'd seem bruises range from bright yellow all the way to black. That new fangled back protector in my Dainese leathers = lifesaver.

swampy1970 said:
The following day when you wake up and the pain killers from the night before have worn off = f**k do I need to move a muscle to breathe? Is there anything other than my eyeballs that I can move without needing 14 gallons of morphine?
You Zsirrr were after zomething when you moved to da US of A... ;) :D

"Never laughed, never smiled." :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOVgTjeg4fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7e5FfyXm8

I have, but it wasn't anything very major. Just a bike on bike collision. Neither of us was going very fast so there wasn't any serious injury on either person. I'm not even sure if I'd consider it a full on accident since it was so minor.

I'm lucky I have never got into a serious bike accident, but once when I was very young (11 years old) I was riding my BMX through the middle of town, I was eating a chocolate bar not paying attention much and a car went past, clipped my shoulder and I literally fell through the open door of a shop, landed and knocked down a whole rail of clothing! Looking back now it was quite hilarious but the driver of the car was ****** at me, rang my parents and I ended up grounded for a whole week :(

One of the most ridiculous accidents I had was when I tried to jump with my BMX, I feel and when I opened my eyes the bike fell on my face and broke my glasses, I still remember that sight as if it was today.

Sunflogun said:
One of the most ridiculous accidents I had was when I tried to jump with my BMX, I feel and when I opened my eyes the bike fell on my face and broke my glasses, I still remember that sight as if it was today.
Maybe next time its best not to close your eyes when you're trying to do a jump on your bike? xD I mean, at least I had a reason to take my eyes away from the road (a chocolate bar).

lol, I didn't close them when jumping, but when falling. Other time jumping too I went against my mum! :D I guess I am just not skilled to jump! :rolleyes:

Sunflogun said:
lol, I didn't close them when jumping, but when falling. Other time jumping too I went against my mum! :D I guess I am just not skilled to jump! :rolleyes:
Err, you went against your Mum? Please explain what you mean by that lol, wow... you take your mum down to the big park with you? xD Does she ride BMX too? Maybe she can teach you how to jump hahaha. Anyways on a serious note, keep trying dude, I'm sure you will get the hang of it :)

I was involved in 3 biking accidents. Like you have seen on TV, all 3 caused chain reactions. None of these crashes caused life threatening injuries but there was a few broken bones. Not a fun thing.

Grimp said:
Err, you went against your Mum? Please explain what you mean by that lol, wow... you take your mum down to the big park with you? xD Does she ride BMX too? Maybe she can teach you how to jump hahaha. Anyways on a serious note, keep trying dude, I'm sure you will get the hang of it :)
Yeah, I was showing off to my mum and she was just there watching and the trick went really bad and I managed to hit her in the legs with my bike, so that was embarrassing for me and painful for her...!

I have tried not to. By simply keeping the rules and being careful. I have not cycled at competitions meaning I do not like cycling at high speeds. But accidents are common in cycling which one needs to know.

Besides the recent accident in which an undercover deputy pulled out from a side road and hit me (actually,I hit him), when I was young I once took a nasty spill and ended up with some scars I can still find. That was just taking a spill when going too fast.

The crash with the deputy occurred when I had to take the sidewalk (on the wrong side of the street, since there is only one in that stretch of road). It was a heavy traffic time of day, and there are no bike lanes on that particular section of road. I saw the deputy look both ways to check the traffic, he then backed up to clear the crosswalk, so I assumed he saw me and I quit braking and proceeded. He then pulled forward, and I recall thinking that I hoped I would do some damage to his vehicle (I did). My front wheel went between his front wheel and his wheel-well, so I got jerked around. I had a Raleigh Mountain Sport bike, which was replaced (by the sheriff's dept) with a new Raleigh hybrid.

Apart from the odd bail when I was a kid/teenager, I have'nt been involved in a bike accident (touch wood!), but I have come close to being crushed by a truck. I was riding along a road and was passing by the entrance to a truck/frieght depo when a truck just pulled out completly oblivious to my presance. I had to swerve and hit the kerb as he passed by. Had I not been paying attention I think he would have ran straight into me.

Luckily I've never been involved in a serious bike accident, but I know some people who have. A friend of mine recently got hit by a car when he was making a turn at some intersection. Nothing got broken, but he was limping for a while afterwards. Hopefully I never get in such a situation - whether it's my fault or the other person's is always a debate that never ends well.

Whoa, it's amazing to hear about all these accidents. :eek: I'm really glad I've haven't been in an accident yet. I have had a couple close calls, though. People in my area aren't exactly the best drivers.... :rolleyes:

That can be the case jeannette, but there were times when it was my fault too, I was distracted and entered the road without looking and almost caused an accident. I managed to turn the wheel like by miracle or else I don't know what would have happened.

I was walking on a road and a biker rammed me from behind. I received a few bruises but was never hurt seriously. He was extremely apologetic, so just picked up on my haunches and took an anti Tetanus shot later.

This is an unpleasant recollection but I would share for the sake of my honesty to this forum.

We bought a pedicab - a bicycle with a sidecar. It was kind of cheap so we didn't linger in the store and immediately purchased it. On that day when I was test driving it, nothing seems wrong so I asked my husband for him to pedal and I would be the passenger. I was carrying our pekingese dog that time when we reached the gate of our house after a spin. The front wheel hit a small ramp making it rise. And with me in the back, I held on the bike until it capsized. Yes, it turned upside down with me and my dog inside. Fortunately I only got bruises.

Reactions: Sunflogun