Ever been unable to unclip from pedals?

remicman said:
I have only had my clipless pedals for a couple of weeks and have yet to fall. I had been warned over and over again that it would just be a matter of time before I fall.

Maybe its just the type of pedals I use (shimano double sided mtb pedals on my trek 1500) and the fact that they are relatively loose but I cannot imagine not being able to get out of them very quickly. I have been completely stopped and remembered at the last minute to unclick with no problems. Maybe my pedals are too loose? I haven't clicked out inadvertantly so that doesn't seem to be a problem. From all the stories it appears this happens most (even to veterans) in an emergency when you have to click out in a split second.

Maybe it is just a matter of time.
I believe that the release force can be adjusted on your pedals. They cannot be on the Speedplay zeros that I use, and that makes a bit of a difference. I hope however you never get to have the experience! :)

Just pulled this trick this evening. A friend advised me that to avoid getting chain oil on my leg when I stop, to dismount with my left leg first. Now despite never having had a problem with chain oil on my leg, I took his advice. At my first stop sign I unclipped my left foot - and then muscle memory took over - instinctively I shifted my weight to the right to put my right foot down. Over I went. Luckily I broke the bike's fall, so there I didn't scratch the frame. I'm still picking gravel out of my knee though. Will I ever learn that some advice is just to be ignored?

I borrowed a pair of shoes with Look cleats from a friend after I lost mine (left them on the roof of my pick-up and drove off).

Now here's a lesson. Always, ALWAYS! check that the screw are tight before you clip in.

I didn't and two screws dropped out from each cleat. This meant that the shoes swiveled out while the cleats remained attached (by one screw) to the pedals.

I'd just ridden (about 500 metres) up to the group about to start a ride when it happened. The only way to detach myself was to undo the shoes. This is not very easy lying on your back with a bike attached to you feet (and 8 people, literally, rolling on the floor laughing).

danch said:
The other was on a windy day - stopped at a light, unclipped my left foot and set it down. I just put a toe down and kept the bike mostly upright. Did I mention the wind was from my left? A big gust came up, and I started to go over - tugging on my right foot in a state of panic as I sloooowwwly tipped to the right, then BAM! I was on the tarmac. Woman in the car to my left said "Are you OK?" "Yeah, just feel a little dumb, is all." Try to make that one look like you meant it!
i couldn't help but laugh histarically when i read that, reason being, same thing happened to me, only i was at the starting line for a RACE, i started to go over to the right like you and began panicking as i was slowly falling over and couldn't unclip my right shoe, my friend next to me was ever so kind enough to push me back up before i fell compeltely over....he looked at me and laughed and said for that favor i couldn't beat him in the race

man that feeling you get when you're going over and the foot don't come out! it's one i think we all have happen once or twice when we first get used to clipless pedals...although not everyone will admit it

the other time it happened to me was a really weird thing...i was in the middle of a steep climb (about 16% at that spot) and was with a group, i shifted into my 25 gear and the derailer threw the chain over into the spokes....needless to say i went from 6mph to -4mph quite quickly and in the state of panic simply couldn't get out of my pedals and ended up falling over into the curb

smnw10 said:
the other time it happened to me was a really weird thing...i was in the middle of a steep climb (about 16% at that spot) and was with a group, i shifted into my 25 gear and the derailer threw the chain over into the spokes....needless to say i went from 6mph to -4mph quite quickly and in the state of panic simply couldn't get out of my pedals and ended up falling over into the curb
Mine was almost exactly the same. I was in a steep climb and tried to shift gears while out of the saddle and my drivetrain locked. I should have unclipped immediately, but instead I looked down to see what the problem was (big dummy), and within a couple seconds I went over on the left side. After I hit the ground, I first cursed, then checked to see if anyone saw me, then checked the bike, then checked myself (I have my priorities in order). There was no damage to the frame, but my left shifter (105 STI) was crooked. :eek:

remicman said:
I have only had my clipless pedals for a couple of weeks and have yet to fall. I had been warned over and over again that it would just be a matter of time before I fall.

Maybe its just the type of pedals I use (shimano double sided mtb pedals on my trek 1500) and the fact that they are relatively loose but I cannot imagine not being able to get out of them very quickly. I have been completely stopped and remembered at the last minute to unclick with no problems. Maybe my pedals are too loose? I haven't clicked out inadvertantly so that doesn't seem to be a problem. From all the stories it appears this happens most (even to veterans) in an emergency when you have to click out in a split second.

Maybe it is just a matter of time.

Understand that Shimano and Look spend thousands of dollars researching high-tech engineering processes that make the release adjustment tighten up to extremely difficult, just at the precise second that you need to clip out in an emergency...... At least it seems that way.

KMKS said:
i did this just the other day on my first ride w/ clipless pedals. I was really getting the hang of it, and then i stop and put 1 foot down. I was on a slight hill though so i started leaning towards the side that was still clipped in and BAM. took me forever to get unclipped once i was down too. Very embarassing.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me! I was standing at an intersection with one foot clipped, balancing on the other. The wheel moved slightly and I came crashing down, feeling like a TOTAL idiot with a majorly scraped up knee that still has a red scar. My boyfriend was killing himself laughing, which I thought was pretty mean at the time, but now I can see why it's so funny.

This is a hilarious thread BTW...it's so nice to hear that it happens to everyone and we are all equally mortified!

Anyway, I have only used them in 3 rides so far, but an annoying thing that happens is I try and try to clip them in again, and it takes forever for them to finally click. Then, I go to unclip (I usually start well in advance of when I have to stop), and putting my foot back in what I think is a safe postion, they instantly snap back in again, and I almost wipe out!

I would never wear them in the city, I can just see myself getting doored or run over as I try to unclip!

tyler_derden said:
I wnet down on my MTB once because I couldn't get out of a pedal. I went down on the side that wouldn't come out, so I couldn't get up for quite a while. The problem turned out to be a lost cleat screw. When I truned my foot to get out of the pedal, the cleat didn't turn in the pedal so the pedal didn't let go.

Check and tighten your cleat screws periodically!

TD
Use loctite!!

Just happened last night. After teasing one of my buddies about falling over into our friends lawn, I planted at a four way stop with cars on each street including one right behind me. Kodak moment.

Not quite the same topic as I've always ridden clips/straps/plates, but about 20 years ago I'd replaced my rear tyre and forgotten to latch the back wheel in properly.
I mounted as usual - with left pedal just forward of top-dead-centre - place foot in clip, stand up to let my (portly) body-weight drive the machine forward as I swung my right leg over the saddle and picked up the right pedal.
Instead the back wheel jammed against the left seat-stay and I described a slow and elegant parabola over the 'bars, landing in a clattering heap. Wifey came dashing out - "What are you doing?" - "Falling off, what does it look like I'm doing". "Huh!" and she flounced indoors.
I had a wonderful ride - 30 miles on Sussex and lanes, but there was a definite chill in the air when I got back indoors:) .

Agree - even with deep shoe-plates (cleats) - just a matter of flicking the quick-release in time. On reflection it was easier on fixed-wheel - or was that just practice?

John Grant.:)

tyler_derden said:
Check and tighten your cleat screws periodically!
Yup, I agree. I almost had the "can't get out in time" moment myself when one of my cleats became really loose but fortunately it worked out. I have fallen twice, however, not as a direct result of a cleat failing to release, though it was a contributing factor. Once I was riding my mtb on a trail and encountered deep sand. I went from 12MPH to 0 in seconds and couldn't get my foot out in time. Fortunately the landing was soft due to the sand and nobody saw. ;)

The second time was just a few weeks ago - also on my mtb - but riding in the city with friends. I bunnyhopped some bad sidewalk but managed to land in another crevice (between two cement slabs) just wide enough to lock my front knobby in. I endoed into a guard rail but did manage to get my left foot out! :D My chin smacked the aluminum rail pretty hard and I was expecting blood to start gushing. Fortunately it didn't and I escaped with only a few cuts and bruises. I think my friends enjoyed the whole scene but they did manage to hold their laughter (but only until later, probably!). After it happened, my right (the direction I fell) foot remained clipped in and I felt somewhat like a turtle on my back. One of my friends rushed up and asked if I was alright and my response while trying to get up was "I'll let you know in a minute..." :p

mmpc001 said:
Yup, I agree. I almost had the "can't get out in time" moment myself when one of my cleats became really loose but fortunately it worked out. I have fallen twice, however, not as a direct result of a cleat failing to release, though it was a contributing factor. Once I was riding my mtb on a trail and encountered deep sand. I went from 12MPH to 0 in seconds and couldn't get my foot out in time. Fortunately the landing was soft due to the sand and nobody saw. ;)

The second time was just a few weeks ago - also on my mtb - but riding in the city with friends. I bunnyhopped some bad sidewalk but managed to land in another crevice (between two cement slabs) just wide enough to lock my front knobby in. I endoed into a guard rail but did manage to get my left foot out! :D My chin smacked the aluminum rail pretty hard and I was expecting blood to start gushing. Fortunately it didn't and I escaped with only a few cuts and bruises. I think my friends enjoyed the whole scene but they did manage to hold their laughter (but only until later, probably!). After it happened, my right (the direction I fell) foot remained clipped in and I felt somewhat like a turtle on my back. One of my friends rushed up and asked if I was alright and my response while trying to get up was "I'll let you know in a minute..." :p
everyone must have had that problem when first using clip pedals. i use spd's but look pedals at the track which are far easier to get out of than the spd's.

i quite often find myself running red lights cause i have no choice, since my feet are well and trully fast. i'm so used to riding with to clips, and still use them on my racer and mtb that i still get confused to which pedals i'm using and try to take my foot from the toe clips even though i'm wearing cleats.... nightmare

With clips and straps there's no need to strap in tight for everyday riding. Tight enough is tight enough.
To pull out, the trick is to stiffen the foot and pull your instep up, against the strap, then pull the foot back. This is much easier on fixed-wheel as your forward motion provides a resistance.

:eek: I lied unwittingly in a previous post. When I'd been cycling for about 3 months I had to give way to two old biddies on a pedestrian crossing. I was wearing khaki shorts and riding sans culotte (I think you Americans call it "commando").

My ribbed gym shoes jammed in the pedals and I fell in a graceless heap. My short and baggy shorts ensured that the family jewels were on full show, to the horror of the two old ladies.:eek:

John Knees said:
With clips and straps there's no need to strap in tight for everyday riding. Tight enough is tight enough.
To pull out, the trick is to stiffen the foot and pull your instep up, against the strap, then pull the foot back. This is much easier on fixed-wheel as your forward motion provides a resistance.

:eek: I lied unwittingly in a previous post. When I'd been cycling for about 3 months I had to give way to two old biddies on a pedestrian crossing. I was wearing khaki shorts and riding sans culotte (I think you Americans call it "commando").

My ribbed gym shoes jammed in the pedals and I fell in a graceless heap. My short and baggy shorts ensured that the family jewels were on full show, to the horror of the two old ladies.:eek:
i just been out in khaki shorts, and my fav top, a hand me down from my partners aunt, she rides\races mtb and runs a club. but again i tryed to dismout from toe clips whilst wearing cleats. maybe its time i put spd's on all 3 bikes :)

I recently got SPDs and haven't fallen with clipless (?) pedals yet although there have been a few close moments. I last fell this way many years ago when I first had pedals with toeclips.

Several times and always at the wrong time. On SPD pedals you can take a dremel dill or small file and grind down the outside tab to make it easier to unclip.

radbmxdad said:
Several times and always at the wrong time. On SPD pedals you can take a dremel dill or small file and grind down the outside tab to make it easier to unclip.
Happened twice - once at an intersection when I should have been more in tune with what was going on and second, when a 4WD came lumbering through a tight road and sent me in a direction I wasn't planning on.

Embarrassing ... but you learn in the first instance .... in the second, there is no defence !!