Road Cycling · Public discussion

Ever feel really stupid?

Started by Gooserider · · Last activity · 42 posts · 1,979 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
30 May 2004
Last activity
4 June 2004
Original author
Gooserider
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,979
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    About 17 miles in I caught a whiff of a nasty burning
    smell. I got off the bike and looked it over, only to
    discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING. D'oh!

    Been there, done that (many years ago when a newbie). Ever
    since then, I give my wheels a check spin while checking the
    brake clearance before I hit the road.

  2. On Sun, 30 May 2004 06:56:55 -0400, Badger_South <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I went out for a quick 'round the block ride to check my
    new glasses mounted rear view mirror and forgot to double-
    tie my shoelaces. The left lace got totally wrapped around
    my pedal and was getting tighter and tighter with each rev.
    trapping my foot against the pedal.

    Tuck the loose ends under the tightened laces, or inside the
    shoe. Didn't you learn that as a child? 😉
    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. Zippy the Pinhead said:

    How does the function of a glasses mounted rear view mirror
    differ when on-bike vs when off-bike?

    I sit or stand straight up when off the bike. Also, I don't
    move at 20mph in the travel lane. How am I supposed to
    guess, off the bike, where to point the mirror for when I'm
    on the bike?
    --
    Rick "Never did mount that helmet mirror" Onanian

  4. Ryan Cousineau said:

    Steel frame, too many spokes, used a heavy aero rear
    wheel, should have taken off my bike bell and empty bottle
    cages (no water on the bike for a 12-minute TT...).

    be sure to check out the "How much does Paint weigh?"
    thread on rbt.

    Quoted message said:

    ObHardcore: I don't know how he placed, but one dude rode
    the course on a fixed gear. He used about a 53/20.

    how big of a hill was this? that's 72". ouch. my normal
    gearing is 47/17 (75"😉 and i sure wouldn't be climbing
    with that.
    --
    david reuteler [email hidden]

  5. Gooserider said:

    I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow and
    tired from the bike and looked it over, only to discover MY
    REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING. D'oh!

    I wish my slow-and-tired Saturday ride was a
    mechanical issue.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. "Rick Onanian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 02:49:32 GMT, "Gooserider" <gooserider@mouse-

    potato.com said:

    I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow
    and tired from the bike and looked it over, only to
    discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING.


    D'oh!

    Quoted message said:


    I wish my slow-and-tired Saturday ride was a
    mechanical issue.
    --
    Rick Onanian

    I've assembled a collection of "dumb things done" on my web
    page here.
    geo.net.aufunny cycling stories.htm

    Marty

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bernie said:

    Salut Tom The Tour de Gastown got me enjoying bike
    races. (The last 2 are the only official bike races I've
    ever attended). Unfortunately, I won't be attending the
    Yaletown Crit. I've booked a week in a little hideout in
    the S. Okanagan for me n my sweetie. We may get up to 10
    mph on our way down the Okanagan River path to Oliver
    for a visit to the Frostee Freeze (or whatever they call
    it nowadays) , but we plan to leave early to avoid the
    rush. 🙂

    Well, that sounds like a pretty good way to spend some time,
    too. It's been a long time since I've been in the 0kanagan,
    but I've had some enjoyable rides up at my brother's place
    in the Thompson River benchlands. There seems to be a
    'bumper crop' of grasshoppers this year. Highway 97 is sure
    different from urban street riding; it's a luxuriant
    pleasure for the most part. I actually saw other riders on
    there for the first time, when I was up there last (mid
    May). Most of them, i think, were headed for Kamloops. I
    even got to ride through a little F-0.something tornado-like
    downburst. Well, actually I stopped and just waited while it
    swept over me. With wind and bugs, cycling glasses are sure
    good to have up there.

    Didn't see any rattlesnakes, but I was sorta hoping. I
    wanted to see if, when a sunbathing rattlesnake is blocking
    one's path, it could be distracted by warming a penny a
    little with a Bic lighter, and tossing it to the far side of
    the snake, but close enough to catch its interest. As long
    as the poor li'l bugger doesn't chip a tooth on the penny.
    But they're fast and they ain't stupid, so my experiment
    could very well fail. Plan B (plan A, really) is just to
    give them a wide berth and avoid bothering them.

    Don't forget to take a camera with you.

    Quoted message said:

    Enjoy the race! I'll look for your comments when I get
    home. Bernie

    I've already bought a little cowbell at the Unifeed store
    in Ashcroft. I might scout around the course in the next
    couple of days, looking for a spot with a good view.
    Maybe I'll finally buy one of those disposable cameras
    and snap some pix.

    Wishing you good weather & a good time, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    I think I will. I'll have to make sure I'm off early
    (easy) for that race, but it galls me slightly to pay $35
    for what will be (for me) a 30-minute crit.

    Ask me closer to the race if I have registered, but all
    signs point to yes.

    You need a sponsor ;-)

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  9. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Bernie <bmcilvan@mouse-

    potato.com said:

    Salut Tom The Tour de Gastown got me enjoying bike
    races. (The last 2 are the only official bike races I've
    ever attended). Unfortunately, I won't be attending the
    Yaletown Crit. I've booked a week in a little hideout in
    the S. Okanagan for me n my sweetie. We may get up to 10
    mph on our way down the Okanagan River path to Oliver
    for a visit to the Frostee Freeze (or whatever they call
    it nowadays) , but we plan to leave early to avoid the
    rush. 🙂

    Well, that sounds like a pretty good way to spend some
    time, too. It's been a long time since I've been in the
    0kanagan, but I've had some enjoyable rides up at my
    brother's place in the Thompson River benchlands. There
    seems to be a 'bumper crop' of grasshoppers this year.
    Highway 97 is sure different from urban street riding; it's
    a luxuriant pleasure for the most part. I actually saw
    other riders on there for the first time, when I was up
    there last (mid May). Most of them, i think, were headed
    for Kamloops. I even got to ride through a little F-
    0.something tornado-like downburst. Well, actually I
    stopped and just waited while it swept over me. With wind
    and bugs, cycling glasses are sure good to have up there.

    Didn't see any rattlesnakes, but I was sorta hoping. I
    wanted to see if, when a sunbathing rattlesnake is blocking
    one's path, it could be distracted by warming a penny a
    little with a Bic lighter, and tossing it to the far side
    of the snake, but close enough to catch its interest. As
    long as the poor li'l bugger doesn't chip a tooth on the
    penny. But they're fast and they ain't stupid, so my
    experiment could very well fail. Plan B (plan A, really) is
    just to give them a wide berth and avoid bothering them.

    Don't forget to take a camera with you.

    Quoted message said:

    Enjoy the race! I'll look for your comments when I get
    home. Bernie

    I've already bought a little cowbell at the Unifeed store
    in Ashcroft. I might scout around the course in the next
    couple of days, looking for a spot with a good view. Maybe
    I'll finally buy one of those disposable cameras and snap
    some pix.

    Wishing you good weather & a good time, Tom


    Thanks very much Tom I'm long overdue to decompress from the
    workaday world. I will bring my camera too. Remember you can
    have any film digitized these days, and get a cd as well as
    prints. It'd be cool if you post your visual impressions. Be
    calm and respectful if you meet rattlers.. they ain't really
    smart, just loaded with pre programmed reactions - you are
    the smart one on these encounters, ok? I like that S Cariboo
    country you are visiting these days too, but IMO, the S
    Okanagan has a ton of relaxing to offer in the warm months,
    anyway. Are you a trout fisherman? The Thompson is one of
    the blue ribbon streams of the world ... loaded with stream
    rainbows. Very special in my eyes. Learn to flog a basic wet
    fly and you might be well rewarded! FWIW, we are not fishing
    or doing anything special, aside from hanging out and
    getting comfortable. I expect bird watching will be most
    important, combined with some bicycle trail rides. Anyhoo,
    it's still a month away. Good to hear from you. Best
    regards, Bernie

  10. In article <[email hidden]>, "Gooserider"

    Quoted message said:


    I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow and
    tired from the outset, and couldn't get my speed above
    17mph on my road bike. I'm dieting, and there was a
    headwind, so I chalked my slowness and tiredness up to
    that. About 17 miles in I caught a whiff of a nasty burning
    smell. I got off the bike and looked it over, only to
    discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING. D'oh! I was much
    faster on the way home......

    One reason why the cycle gods invented road rash and bonk.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (whinds) said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Gooserider said:


    I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow and
    tired from the outset, and couldn't get my speed above
    17mph on my road bike. I'm dieting, and there was a
    headwind, so I chalked my slowness and tiredness up to
    that. About 17 miles in I caught a whiff of a nasty
    burning smell. I got off the bike and looked it over, only
    to discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING. D'oh! I was much
    faster on the way home......

    One reason why the cycle gods invented road rash and bonk.

    For every hubris there's an equal & opposite nemesis.

    I guess road rash and bonk (and other nasty have-to-put-up-
    withs) are the Sieve of Heaven. Separate the wheat from
    the chaff.

    Waitaminnit ... no! Cycling doesn't have to be an ordeal. It
    just has a propensity to become one if we let it, or
    subconsciously steer it that way. And I /have/ let it, so
    many times. But I guess I've become endeared to the learning
    experiences that cycling so often provides. Especially the
    'curve balls' it sometimes throws us. Keeps us on our toes
    (as it were.)

    So, maybe the cycle gods invented road rash and bonk just to
    teach us about ourselves? Anyhow, I don't think they want to
    outright kill us. They just want to hurt us a little (the
    rotten, meanie [censored].) Maybe that's also why the cycle
    gods invented leg cramps. Maybe leg cramps aren't so much a
    symptom to eradicate, as a feedback mechanism to hearken to?
    In my own case, leg cramps tell me I need a good sleep.

    cheers, & I'm in big trouble now for blaspheming at the
    cycle gods (those rotten, meanie [censored],) Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  12. Tom Keats said:


    Waitaminnit ... no! Cycling doesn't have to be an ordeal.
    It just has a propensity to become one if we let it, or
    subconsciously steer it that way. And I /have/ let it, so
    many times. But I guess I've become endeared to the
    learning experiences that cycling so often provides.
    Especially the 'curve balls' it sometimes throws us. Keeps
    us on our toes (as it were.)

    A couple times I've passed a woman cycling along the Burke
    Gillman trail. She's always smiling away as if she can't
    imagine anything more wonderful than being on her bicycle.
    She's not the fastest person, nor riding the best bike, nor
    the dressed the most Fabrizioly. But she's certainly having
    a good time.

    A lot of time I'm in such a rush to get from home to work,
    from work to home, or thinking about anything but cycling,
    that I really forget to actually enjoy it. I see her smiling
    and I realize I really like riding a bike. That even in the
    rain, wind, darkness, or whatever else may come I should
    stop being such a noodge and relax.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r
    g "Hello," he lied. -- Don Carpenter, quoting a
    Hollywood agent

  13. Gooserider said:

    I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow and
    tired from the outset, and couldn't get my speed above
    17mph on my road bike. I'm dieting, and there was a
    headwind, so I chalked my slowness and tiredness up to
    that. About 17 miles in I caught a whiff of a nasty
    burning smell. I got off the bike and looked it over, only
    to discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING. D'oh! I was much
    faster on the way home......

    Yesterday I took my car to the garage and loaded my bike on
    the roof so I could get back home. I drove in my bikeshoes
    since they never bothered me (SPD). It felt a little strange
    however but I was all concerned with how much this
    garagetrip was going to cost me etc. When I'd left the car
    and mounted my bike to ride home I couldn't clip in. No
    wonder, I had my roadie shoes on with the SPD-SL cleats
    trying to clip into my SPD pedals. I could barely make it
    home being very, very careful.
    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Per Elmsäter said:

    Yesterday I took my car to the garage and loaded my bike
    on the roof so I could get back home. I drove in my
    bikeshoes since they never bothered me (SPD). It felt a
    little strange however but I was all concerned with how
    much this garagetrip was going to cost me etc. When I'd
    left the car and mounted my bike to ride home I couldn't
    clip in. No wonder, I had my roadie shoes on with the SPD-
    SL cleats trying to clip into my SPD pedals. I could
    barely make it home being very, very careful.

    Perre:

    was the stupid part bringing the wrong shoes, or having two
    types of clipless pedals on your bikes?

    Just asking,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden]
    sfu.cawiredcola President, Fabrizio
    Mazzoleni Fan Club

  15. "Per Elmsäter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Yesterday I took my car to the garage and loaded my bike
    on the roof so I could get back home. I drove in my
    bikeshoes since they never bothered me (SPD). It felt a
    little strange however but I was all concerned with how
    much this garagetrip was going to cost me etc. When I'd
    left the car and mounted my bike to ride home I couldn't
    clip in. No wonder, I had my roadie shoes on with the SPD-
    SL cleats trying to clip into my SPD pedals. I could
    barely make it home being very, very careful.

    I can do you one better, or maybe its one worse. The other
    day, I got home early and rushed to get a quick ride in
    before dark. Left foot in and off I go. But try as I might,
    I couldn't get my right foot in. I figured I had damaged the
    cleat somehow. I gave up after 15 minutes and headed home.
    When I got there I realized, I still had the cleat cover on.

  16. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Per Elmsäter said:

    Yesterday I took my car to the garage and loaded my bike
    on the roof so I could get back home. I drove in my
    bikeshoes since they never bothered me (SPD). It felt a
    little strange however but I was all concerned with how
    much this garagetrip was going to cost me etc. When I'd
    left the car and mounted my bike to ride home I couldn't
    clip in. No wonder, I had my roadie shoes on with the SPD-
    SL cleats trying to clip into my SPD pedals. I could
    barely make it home being very, very careful.

    Perre:

    was the stupid part bringing the wrong shoes, or having
    two types of clipless pedals on your bikes?

    Just asking,

    A civil question requires a civil response. What's really
    stupid is that the two shoes look almost identical except
    for a small color difference. SH-R214 and SH-M221 I had SPD
    pedals on my roadbike at first in order to keep my systems
    down to one. However the balls of my feet got so numb from
    the SPD cleats on long rides that I had to change. With the
    bigger SPD-SL or LOOK type cleats I can ride forever as far
    as my feet are concerned.

    But. I hope for your sake that, Fabrizio never reads your
    question. He and I know that of course on a roadbike you
    have roadie pedals. Possibly he'd get on my case for not
    using the more fashionable Time Attacks.

    Thankyou for coming straight out instead of stabbing me in
    the back like this Badger character did.
    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  17. Richard Stanz said:

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Yesterday I took my car to the garage and loaded my bike
    on the roof so I could get back home. I drove in my
    bikeshoes since they never bothered me (SPD). It felt a
    little strange however but I was all concerned with how
    much this garagetrip was going to cost me etc. When I'd
    left the car and mounted my bike to ride home I couldn't
    clip in. No wonder, I had my roadie shoes on with the SPD-
    SL cleats trying to clip into my SPD pedals. I could
    barely make it home being very, very careful.

    I can do you one better, or maybe its one worse. The other
    day, I got home early and rushed to get a quick ride in
    before dark. Left foot in and off I go. But try as I
    might, I couldn't get my right foot in. I figured I had
    damaged the cleat somehow. I gave up after 15 minutes and
    headed home. When I got there I realized, I still had the
    cleat cover on.

    That was just a typical example of higher powers at work.
    You were not supposed to go out that night and it probably
    saved your life.

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  18. Richard Stanz said:

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Yesterday I took my car to the garage and loaded my bike
    on the roof so I could get back home. I drove in my
    bikeshoes since they never bothered me (SPD). It felt a
    little strange however but I was all concerned with how
    much this garagetrip was going to cost me etc. When I'd
    left the car and mounted my bike to ride home I couldn't
    clip in. No wonder, I had my roadie shoes on with the SPD-
    SL cleats trying to clip into my SPD pedals. I could
    barely make it home being very, very careful.

    I can do you one better, or maybe its one worse. The other
    day, I got home early and rushed to get a quick ride in
    before dark. Left foot in and off I go. But try as I
    might, I couldn't get my right foot in. I figured I had
    damaged the cleat somehow. I gave up after 15 minutes and
    headed home. When I got there I realized, I still had the
    cleat cover on.

    Ding ding ding! No more calls, please; we have a winner.

    Bill "nice one" S.

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Per Elmsäter said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Per Elmsäter" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    clip in. No wonder, I had my roadie shoes on with the
    SPD-SL cleats trying to clip into my SPD pedals. I
    could barely make it home being very, very careful.

    Perre:

    was the stupid part bringing the wrong shoes, or having
    two types of clipless pedals on your bikes?

    Quoted message said:

    A civil question requires a civil response. What's really
    stupid is that the two shoes look almost identical except
    for a small color difference. SH-R214 and SH-M221 I had
    SPD pedals on my roadbike at first in order to keep my
    systems down to one. However the balls of my feet got so
    numb from the SPD cleats on long rides that I had to
    change. With the bigger SPD-SL or LOOK type cleats I can
    ride forever as far as my feet are concerned.

    Heh. That was a far more reasonable response than my
    question deserved. Time to paint one pair of shoes, or look
    into shoes with firmer soles.

    Quoted message said:

    But. I hope for your sake that, Fabrizio never reads your
    question. He and I know that of course on a roadbike you
    have roadie pedals. Possibly he'd get on my case for not
    using the more fashionable Time Attacks.

    Well, perhaps, though I think SPD-SLs are barely acceptable
    (except that that's what Lance uses, and Fabrizio hates
    Lance). What he would be one you about was having any bikes
    with SPDs at all. The only permissible alternate bike is a
    cyclocross machine which may use Time ATAC pedals or Crank
    Bros. Eggbeater Triple Ti pedals. Your road, Roubaix, TT,
    and hillclimb bikes should all use an approved road pedal,
    of which there are several, but not SPDs.

    Quoted message said:

    Thankyou for coming straight out instead of stabbing me in
    the back like this Badger character did.

    Ah, I'm just showing the cruelty of the cheap, bragging
    about my fully standardized collection of SPD pedals.

    SPDs are great: they clear mud badly, they're not ideal for
    road work, but at least they're really cheap.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden]
    sfu.cawiredcola President, Fabrizio
    Mazzoleni Fan Club

  20. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Per Elmsäter said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Per Elmsäter" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > clip in. No wonder, I had my roadie shoes on with the
    > SPD-SL cleats trying to clip into my SPD pedals. I
    > could barely make it home being very, very careful.

    Perre:

    was the stupid part bringing the wrong shoes, or having
    two types of clipless pedals on your bikes?

    Quoted message said:

    A civil question requires a civil response. What's really
    stupid is that the two shoes look almost identical except
    for a small color difference. SH-R214 and SH-M221 I had
    SPD pedals on my roadbike at first in order to keep my
    systems down to one. However the balls of my feet got so
    numb from the SPD cleats on long rides that I had to
    change. With the bigger SPD-SL or LOOK type cleats I can
    ride forever as far as my feet are concerned.

    Heh. That was a far more reasonable response than my
    question deserved. Time to paint one pair of shoes, or
    look into shoes with firmer soles.

    The paint job might do the trick. I doubt I could get a
    firmer sole since it is an all out carbon sole already on
    both shoes. Actually one is gunmetal and the other one
    silver. Easy enough to distinguish side by side, but not
    one by one.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But. I hope for your sake that, Fabrizio never reads your
    question. He and I know that of course on a roadbike you
    have roadie pedals. Possibly he'd get on my case for not
    using the more fashionable Time Attacks.

    Well, perhaps, though I think SPD-SLs are barely
    acceptable (except that that's what Lance uses, and
    Fabrizio hates Lance). What he would be one you about was
    having any bikes with SPDs at all. The only permissible
    alternate bike is a cyclocross machine which may use Time
    ATAC pedals or Crank Bros. Eggbeater Triple Ti pedals.
    Your road, Roubaix, TT, and hillclimb bikes should all use
    an approved road pedal, of which there are several, but
    not SPDs.

    I'll keep this in mind. Lance is my biggest idol today but
    Fabrizio does come in a distant second.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thankyou for coming straight out instead of stabbing me
    in the back like this Badger character did.

    Ah, I'm just showing the cruelty of the cheap, bragging
    about my fully standardized collection of SPD pedals.


    I knew it and that is why I replied in such a civil manner.
    See how it took all the venom out of you 😉

    Quoted message said:


    SPDs are great: they clear mud badly, they're not ideal
    for road work, but at least they're really cheap.

    Mine weren't exactly cheap but I agree on the other counts
    😉
    --
    Perre
    Can't afford to have any more backstabbers around

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.