Ever feel really stupid?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gooserider, May 29, 2004.

  1. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow and tired from the
    outset, and couldn't get my speed above 17mph on my road bike. I'm dieting,
    and there was a headwind, so I chalked my slowness and tiredness up to that.
    About 17 miles in I caught a whiff of a nasty burning smell. I got off the
    bike and looked it over, only to discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING. D'oh!
    I was much faster on the way home......

    Tags:

  2. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 02:49:32 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow and tired from the
    >outset, and couldn't get my speed above 17mph on my road bike. I'm dieting,
    >and there was a headwind, so I chalked my slowness and tiredness up to that.
    >About 17 miles in I caught a whiff of a nasty burning smell. I got off the
    >bike and looked it over, only to discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING. D'oh!
    >I was much faster on the way home......

    I went out for a quick 'round the block ride to check my new glasses mounted rear view mirror and forgot to double-tie
    my shoelaces. The left lace got totally wrapped around my pedal and was getting tighter and tighter with each rev.
    trapping my foot against the pedal.

    doh.

    -Badger

  3. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    news:[email protected]

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow and tired from the
    > >outset, and couldn't get my speed above 17mph on my road bike. I'm

    dieting,
    > >and there was a headwind, so I chalked my slowness and tiredness up to

    that.
    > >About 17 miles in I caught a whiff of a nasty burning smell. I got off

    the
    > >bike and looked it over, only to discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING.

    D'oh!
    > >I was much faster on the way home......
    > >

    > I went out for a quick 'round the block ride to check my new glasses

    mounted rear view mirror and forgot to double-tie
    > my shoelaces. The left lace got totally wrapped around my pedal and was

    getting tighter and tighter with each rev.
    > trapping my foot against the pedal.
    >
    > doh.

    Arrgh. I'm having flashbacks to the laces of my Chuck Taylors getting caught
    on my Supergoose. That does suck.

  4. On Sun, 30 May 2004 06:56:55 -0400, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I went out for a quick 'round the block ride to check my new glasses mounted rear view mirror

    How does the function of a glasses mounted rear view mirror differ
    when on-bike vs when off-bike?

  5. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 06:56:55 -0400, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I went out for a quick 'round the block ride to check my new glasses

    mounted rear view mirror

    > How does the function of a glasses mounted rear view mirror differ
    > when on-bike vs when off-bike?

    Position. When I mounted mine, I had to make minor adjustments when on the
    bike.

  6. Chuck Davis

    Chuck Davis Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow and tired from the
    > outset, and couldn't get my speed above 17mph on my road bike. I'm

    dieting,
    > and there was a headwind, so I chalked my slowness and tiredness up to

    that.
    > About 17 miles in I caught a whiff of a nasty burning smell. I got off the
    > bike and looked it over, only to discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING.

    D'oh!
    > I was much faster on the way home......

    Lance....is that you??? Why are you posting as Gooserider?

    news:[email protected]

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >I went for a ride today, a short 20 miler. I felt slow and tired from the
    > >outset, and couldn't get my speed above 17mph on my road bike. I'm

    dieting,
    > >and there was a headwind, so I chalked my slowness and tiredness up to

    that.
    > >About 17 miles in I caught a whiff of a nasty burning smell. I got off

    the
    > >bike and looked it over, only to discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING.

    D'oh!
    > >I was much faster on the way home......
    > >

    > I went out for a quick 'round the block ride to check my new glasses

    mounted rear view mirror and forgot to double-tie
    > my shoelaces. The left lace got totally wrapped around my pedal and was

    getting tighter and tighter with each rev.
    > trapping my foot against the pedal.
    >
    > doh.
    >
    > -Badger

    Once I went out wearing two different gloves! I had an old pair and both
    pairs looked kind of similar,blue on the backs. I didn't notice until I was
    out there and miles from home. Ever since then, I keep the pairs of gloves
    separate!
    However, another time I was on a ride and I kept hearing a sort of flapping
    noise, like something was stuck on my tire. Instead it was a piece of rubber
    sticking out, and the tube was exposed!! Not good. I went home and picked up
    a new set of tires the next day. So it wasn't one of those DOH moments but I
    could have blown a tire!

  8. On Sun, 30 May 2004 02:49:32 GMT, "Gooserider"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I got off the
    >bike and looked it over, only to discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING. D'oh!
    >I was much faster on the way home......

    Rode a century with my bottom bracket generator clicked into the on
    position on a near 100 degree day. Was lying in near collapse at the
    end of the ride, drinking cold spring water, when I looked from that
    different angle (flat on my back) and realized why I couldn't keep up
    with anyone all day.

    Had about a quarter inch of asphalt transferred via the tires to the
    generator wheel. Don't know where that happened...

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  9. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    I had a problem with my rear wheel .I could not get the sideways play out of it.
    I just had the wheel built and the fellow re greased the hub. but I could not
    get all of the sideways play out of it without getting too tight of bearings. so
    I decided that the bearings may be bad and I took it apart and bought new
    bearings. well when I got it all apart I found some play in the free hub. well
    that was easy to tighten it but I think I got the bearings backwards. when I got
    it together (took about 15 times to get the pawls back into the hub. the axle
    turned out lopsided. well I was about to give up on it and took it apart and
    lost one of the pawls and a spring (dropped them about 10 times) so I gave up
    and had to buy a overpriced rear wheel till this one is fixed.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 02:49:32 GMT, "Gooserider"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I got off the
    > >bike and looked it over, only to discover MY REAR BRAKE WAS DRAGGING. D'oh!
    > >I was much faster on the way home......

    > Rode a century with my bottom bracket generator clicked into the on
    > position on a near 100 degree day. Was lying in near collapse at the
    > end of the ride, drinking cold spring water, when I looked from that
    > different angle (flat on my back) and realized why I couldn't keep up
    > with anyone all day.

    Today, I missed 3rd place in Cat 4 in a hill climb TT. By 0.27 seconds
    in 11-something minutes.

    I'll be wandering around looking for three tenths of a second every time
    I ride that hill, now.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  11. Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Today, I missed 3rd place in Cat 4 in a hill climb TT. By 0.27 seconds
    > in 11-something minutes.
    >
    > I'll be wandering around looking for three tenths of a second every time
    > I ride that hill, now.

    fenders? steel frame? too many spokes? unsightly overweight leather seat?
    bar tape? paint? breakfast. too much water.

    man, i pity you. don't get carried away.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  12. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:

    > Today, I missed 3rd place in Cat 4 in a hill climb TT. By 0.27 seconds
    > in 11-something minutes.
    >
    > I'll be wandering around looking for three tenths of a second every time
    > I ride that hill, now.

    Hey Ryan, are you going to the Yaletown crit on June 30?
    http://www.cycling.bc.ca/index.php?id=90&backPID=8&tt_news=150

    http://www.trekvwracing.com/yaletown.html

    I might go 'n watch, if work allows it.

    cheers,