Ever had your tonsils removed?

bianchi10

Oct 28, 2009
Mine get infected every 6 months or so and I am thinking about asking the doctor about the options of just getting them removed. I am so tired of this!!

after you have them out, how bad is the pain and how long does it take to recover? does it feel like your throat is larger after?

Still have mine, but I am willing to predict the pain you'll feel.........lots. The tonsils are notoriously resistant to anesthetic effects, so there's usually a fair bit of screaming/gurgling involved. Once removed, the sites have to be treated w/ an acid compound--a lot like Compound W--so there's a period of extremely painful burning. Also, for the first five days after, scabs have to be removed with forceps.

Morphine helps take a tiny bit of the edge off of the pain, reducing it to only an unbearable level, instead of the gruesome pain felt after treatment.

Does that help?

I had similar tonsil experiences when I was in my early 20s. I had "allergies" and lost my voice every 6 months, for two weeks at a time. I had them yanked when I was 24. Took me two weeks to recover. Haven't had a problem since then. Word of advice if you do get them out: make a big dish of mashed potatoes in advance. Eat them after the surgery either cold or at room temp. The salt and the starch help soothe the pain.

I had mine removed when I was a kid. I was maybe 8 or 9. I was put to sleep, so I was oblivious to the procedure itself. But, like was already mentioned, it took about two weeks to recover. I couldn't talk for about a day afterwards and I would wake up with my mouth and throat clogged up with dried mucus every day for about two weeks. I didn't have to get the scabs removed because they came out by themselves one night when I was eating some dry toast. Bled like a mofo, but I lived.

I haven't had them removed but my wife did way back when tonsillectomy was a big cash cow for doctors. But some people actually do benefit from the procedure and today you will probably get an honest opinion from your doctor.

I still have mine. A long time ago, I read somewhere about this alternative procedure where instead of cutting them out, they burn them away with a laser. Supposedly there's less pain afterward because it's not as invasive as cutting them out.

bianchi10 said:
Mine get infected every 6 months or so and I am thinking about asking the doctor about the options of just getting them removed. I am so tired of this!!

after you have them out, how bad is the pain and how long does it take to recover? does it feel like your throat is larger after?

I still have mine.

I am not sure that it is your decision alone, as to whether or not your tonsils need removing.
Surely your doctor has to refer you?

alienator said:
Still have mine, but I am willing to predict the pain you'll feel.........lots. The tonsils are notoriously resistant to anesthetic effects, so there's usually a fair bit of screaming/gurgling involved. Once removed, the sites have to be treated w/ an acid compound--a lot like Compound W--so there's a period of extremely painful burning. Also, for the first five days after, scabs have to be removed with forceps.

Morphine helps take a tiny bit of the edge off of the pain, reducing it to only an unbearable level, instead of the gruesome pain felt after treatment.

Does that help?

WTF? Where'd you make all that up from?

I had mine out years ago... They put you under and they scrape them out. Apart from the first day of pretty grim pain and projectile vomiting a pint of blood when I woke up it wasn't too bad. Bastids at the hospital only served some cheap version of cornflakes for breakfast that wouldn't go soggy in the milk... It was like eating fecking razorblades...

... having them out didn't help with recurring throat issues though.

What if you were to try riding with a filter? It can't be good to be sucking down gallons and gallons of icy cold, dusty, or damp air. Try one of those charcoal masks. Just a guess; I have never had that problem.

Bianch10, I should mention that if you're nervous about having this done at the hospital, you can pull them out at home. It just takes a bit of booze to preload ETOH blood levels, and someone with a strong grip and a set of channel lock pliers. To finish the job you just have to burn the removal sites to stop the bleeding. An iron brand works well for this, as does a butane torch with a long nozzle. A benefit of this method is that it makes for a great story.

alienator said:
Bianch10, I should mention that if you're nervous about having this done at the hospital, you can pull them out at home. It just takes a bit of booze to preload ETOH blood levels, and someone with a strong grip and a set of channel lock pliers. To finish the job you just have to burn the removal sites to stop the bleeding. An iron brand works well for this, as does a butane torch with a long nozzle. A benefit of this method is that it makes for a great story.

I will keep it in mind, but as for now I took the meds and I am fine. if it happens again I might have to bring this back up to you and get the at home step by step process :D

I had mine out 4 years ago, mine you'se to flair up quite a bit, but I rarely have any throat problems anymore. As for the pain, I think the first day it just felt like I had a sore throat but after that all was good, ate whatever I wanted. I was takeing pain killers for a week which is probably why I didn't feel any pain though. The only thing they warned me about is for a few days after the operation there is a chance ( less than a percent ) the could get severe bleeding from your throat so they like you to be at home but not alone.

I've read that one or two infections every year is not too worrisome, when it's once a month is too much. Horrible operation. Best avoided.